#1 Zianix

Zianix

Crusader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • LocationSweden.

Posted 18 March 2009 - 10:05 AM

I just thought about this detail. Which I believe haven't been discussed that much.
How important is the ingame sound? Combat sounds, voices from NPC characters etc? And what kind of "sound" would you like to see (hear) in Alganon ?

I myself, thought the sounds in Warhammer online was friggin horrible. Everything from the sound of walking/running to the death noises and talking of NPC's sounded like some really bad nintendo game, or worse. (I like the Nintendo sounds, don't get me wrong.. :) but then it should also be in Nintendo games)

For me details are important and ofcourse that includes sound.

/ Zianix

#2 toxx

toxx

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 02:46 PM

I myself run with barely any sounds ill use combat sounds but the ambiance and music i wont. I have music,ventrilo going on at the same time so its alittle bit much if i have the ingame music/ambient sounds going.

#3 Syndic

Syndic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1886 posts
  • LocationPerth, WAustralia

Posted 19 March 2009 - 05:20 AM

I think that is what Zianix is getting at toxx.

How important to you are the clicks on the ui, the soundeffect that goes with a spells, the sound your sword makes when it swings or hits something.

To me this is very important and I have my favorites from some games around the place. Things like the opening of bags in EQ2, or attuning something (sometimes just feel like attuning something just to hear the sound), and the binding yourself to a new stone in Vanguard, absolutely loved that sound and was very apt for the action being performed.

Sound effects are something that many may not pay much attention to, but also don't realise just how much of the game experience it makes up for them.
Adrios - Syndic (Soldier), Kadden (Mage); Hokk - Thrawn (Ranger); Toskala - Nelina (Healer)
Family - Mitthrawnurodo (Talrok)

#4 Zianix

Zianix

Crusader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • LocationSweden.

Posted 19 March 2009 - 07:16 AM

Yes that's what I mean. All the sounds in the game. From the battle charge of mobs to the click on the bag, to the sound effect when you level up/magic spells etc.

And yes I agree very much with you Syndic, they are important. You will hear them all the time when playing. Whatever you will do in the game.

Everything counts in to make a good game, perhaps sound isn't prio-one when it comes to quality. But yeah, as I said, detail counts in a lot for me.

#5 zopyros

zopyros

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 09:21 AM

Personally I love the emote sounds. The ambience is always welcome, and background music is a must (I'm loving the themes released so far). The WoW Chicken and Train sounds are a personal fav. But everything from /cheer to /charge are enjoyable. I'd like to see more extensive emote sounds, I think they add to the quality of conversation, especially when you're just chillin in a pub in the capital with a few friends.

#6 Amilcare

Amilcare

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 08:42 AM

Agree, definitely. Sounds are very important to me, from the emote sounds to the epic ambient music.
The first time I walked in Stormwind was just... great! :D
Kerif - Healer (Hokk Server)
The bald Awesomeness

#7 Grymmoire

Grymmoire

Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts
  • LocationColumbus, OH

Posted 20 March 2009 - 04:28 PM

Oddly enough, I personally have found most MMO's played to have had the ambient sounds and music appropriate to their setting. There have been some peculiar ones, but that could have been a sound card translation issue. I use a Mystique sound card, with Dolby Live enabled, and seem to get excellent results for the most part.

But as to importance, yes I agree that a crow should caw, a pig\boar squeal\grunt, wind whoosh, that is, unless the developer has introduced "mutations" which I am to assume altered the common mobs' sounds; unique monsters (trees with mouths etc. are up to the developers and should be commented upon in Beta as to how apprporiate they seem given the storyline and game world).

I always try to let the game music run, since I feel unless it is really harsh or inappropriate to the game world, it deserves to be experienced since the developers put their time and effort into providing it for us; however, once again, I think Beta testers need to tell them their opinion of whether or not they feel it fits in with the game world.

I have always also enjoyed emotes that have attached sound. The Warhammer Goblin "special" emote was especially funny as was the Orc one, punching and trying to shake a dwarf head off it's hand. The Bright Wizard, on the other hand (no pun intended) had an unique "special" emote where they had a hand puppet that bobbed up and down towards players...good laughs there.

On another note are fun game unique inclusions like pie-throwing done in LotRo quest and Warhammer scenarios and given as Collector Edition awards that made a "splat" sound when they hit the other player's face. Also, the use of player made or npc purchased instruments that allowed players to make thier own music like in Asheron's Call 2 and LotRo. These interject humor and roundout those areas of the game world, otherwise silent and are a plus with me.
"You're simply jealous, since the voices speak only to me."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users