#1 Incan

Incan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 May 2006 - 01:08 PM

First, Hi all, I'm noob on boards. Thanks for your upcoming Welcome message :P

So, like many of you I think, I've got few questions about Families Feature :

[list]How many members a family will have ? 10, 100, 1000 ? Is it the same for all family or some will have more or less member ?

[*]Will the families be made up randomly ? Or each ll have 12% priest, 20 % sorcerer, 35 % warrior ? (donc care about the number :wink: )

[*]Last (stupid ?) question (today :P ) : does a family consist of only one race?[list]

#2 Kabooki

Kabooki

Patron

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationChandler, AZ

Posted 05 May 2006 - 01:24 PM

1. I think right now the number is 250 but that may change

2. Characters will be randomly placed in families, classes and skills won't have anything to do with it.

3. Right now we are leaning towards yes, but that might change during the BETA period. Reasoning is, you can't have brothers and sisters of a different race.

Please feel free to ask as many questions as you wish

#3 Zheng

Zheng

Crusader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts
  • LocationTampa, Florida

Posted 05 May 2006 - 05:12 PM

Those are good questions.

I'll ask a couple more on subject and give my likings and opinions since that's what you really want to hear (admit it).

1. Have you decided if family members will all share certain traits yet?
(i.e. the Anderson are good acrobats while the Johnsons have big...er...feet)

2. Will it be entirely random or can we influence it JUST a bit by answering certain questions at character creation?
(i.e. If you were in THIS situation, would you handle it: A,B,C and after a few questions, the people that shared common answers were assigned to certain families, thus helping them to share common interests, goals, traits naturally)

3. If you marry in-game, do you have a choice to move into your spouse's family or visa versa?

4. Can you start your own?

:arrow: Reasons behind my question number 2 and my opinion on it:

You cannot force players to play what they don't want to and they WILL find a way to beat the system. If they want to be the best warrior in the world and they're born into a family that doesn't promote that either by design(stat or skill bonuses) or just mentality than they'll keep rerolling the character until they get on that they like. If you allow them a slight influence, this will cut down if not almost negate it without compromising your vision of families in my opinion.

Thanks for the answers and the great feedback I've seen since the forum's inseption.

#4 Kabooki

Kabooki

Patron

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationChandler, AZ

Posted 05 May 2006 - 05:32 PM

1. Right now there aren't any plans in activly giving a family a certain trait, but one idea would be creating a certain small lore about each family, and it would be up to the players then to decided if they want to carry on the family name! Of course this is just an example :D

2. Right now it is totally random, right now we are running on the idea that we can't who we are related to in real life and we are trying to play on that in game, but as ideas get bounced off and we grow that might change.

3. We are still talking about ingame marriage so I can't really answer that.

4. As of right now...no

If you don't like your family then you always have the option of just ignorning them forever and ever (just like the real world!). One of the reasons we are trying to stay away from player influenced families is for the very reasons you stated here. What would happen if you were able to make families that only do one thing, like a huge family of warriors, that family could easily crush families that didn't get a warrior here or there. Each family will start out the same, and just like the real world its up to the members of the family to either make the family great, or make it fall.

#5 lilibat

lilibat

Servant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationBay Area CA

Posted 05 May 2006 - 10:42 PM

Retina and I have never really bothered getitng married in game, (or in real life till this coming Oct.), but then again there's never been much of a point to getting married in game. If it were meaningful, it would be very cool though.

#6 dice

dice

Prophet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 04:22 AM

Yeah, without doubt, the "Family" concept is a huge drawcard.

Obviously, though, it has to mean something more than just a label tacked on to the end of my name.

N/PC's should get to know the Twists as either people you should never let wander around your store unattended, or good people to see if you need to offload something hot, depending on their point of view.

If Oliver Twist decides that he is going to turn his back on the family calling, then he can... but people are still going to treat him with some .. aversion.. until he proves his worth to them.

Alternatively, Oliver and his less well known sister Georgette might decide to turn the family name around and be legitimate tradepeople; maybe make a name for the family as being the best Cobblers in the world.

And thats the point: unless a family name is _known_ for something, it is almost useless (except as a point of reference or form of identity for the players - which, I admit, is still important, but...).

By the way, congrats Lilibat and Retina, and best wishes for your future.

#7 Syndic

Syndic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1886 posts
  • LocationPerth, WAustralia

Posted 14 June 2006 - 01:23 AM

The point of marriage in the game. As much as some people would like to make it mean something I find it hard to see where it wouldn't get abused in this system. If you make it a rule that players can not leave their family except in marriage, then marriage becomes the default way for people to leave their family.

Now maybe it should be right that players can marry out of their family for financial gain, as it does happens in real life. But depending on how the game balances bonuses given to families of high standing, I can see more marriages coming from convenience than from actual love for one another. If this becomes the case than players may as well just choose their family. Also another question raised would be, which character moves to which family or do they become a joining of both, a whole new family (now that would be balance, get married and lose benefits from both sides and start again) etc etc.

Oh and then there is the debate of same sex marriages.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users