#1 Berek

Berek

Former Community Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 10 March 2009 - 12:28 PM

Ten Ton Hammer has posted their interview about the Studies system of Alganon. They discuss with us how the Studies system helps you to not only develop a unique character, but remain with your peers when advancing at varying rates.

http://www.tentonhammer.com/node/65217

#2 Sharra

Sharra

Patron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt/Germany

Posted 10 March 2009 - 03:14 PM

Sounds great.

Can't wait to start with it. :)

Yes, yes, I know I have to be patient. *sigh*

Not to be pushy, not at all, no, no. :P

#3 Vanpry

Vanpry

Crusader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 10 March 2009 - 03:37 PM

I can not in a appropriately explain how excited I am.

#4 Barrakketh

Barrakketh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationToronto, Ontario

Posted 10 March 2009 - 05:16 PM

As someone who always tinkers with skill trees in MMOs, this is intriguing to be sure.

I am impressed that it sounds like maxing a study area will take quite some time. The caveat would be that spending months to complete a study area should have at least some noticable effect - if it's only a 1% more bonus to a skill for the last tier that takes weeks to finish, then people might only study the "easy" tiers, taking less overall time and thus completing all or most areas of study to a mid level. The last tier of a study tree will hopefully unlock another area, or a usable skill, etc, so are seen as a worthwhile goal.

#5 Draconian

Draconian

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 07:03 PM

Nice writeup, thanks for the link.

#6 Velkyn

Velkyn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  • LocationTucson, AZ

Posted 10 March 2009 - 07:08 PM

Very nice interview. I'm glad to see Alganon getting more public coverage; the word is getting out in a good way :D

The first 5 paragraphs on page 3 nailed it. I'm really looking forward to spending a lot of my spare time in Alganon -- maybe only an hour a day, maybe two, or maybe 4-5 hours on Saturday. Whatever the time, it is nice to know the Studies system is available for growth during non-game time.

#7 Thee

Thee

Patron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationBerlin, Germany

Posted 10 March 2009 - 11:23 PM

Thanks for the link.

It's fantastic to see the game getting more and more coverage on all this sites. I am really looking forward to see the study system in action after reading all the details about it. Sounds like a great system to me... Should be interesting to see how people will use it when they get their hands on it.

#8 Razurescens

Razurescens

Patron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 10 March 2009 - 11:36 PM

it was exciting to read more about the study system, sounds great, cant wait to try it out :)

#9 Kenzo

Kenzo

Prophet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 02:01 AM

Great read, seems the study system is more then I hoped for it. :D

#10 Syndic

Syndic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1886 posts
  • LocationPerth, WAustralia

Posted 11 March 2009 - 04:36 AM

It was certainly great to read about the studies system, I know it's going to be a hard thing to balance, trying to make it substantial yet not required. The last question may have helped alleviate some of my fears a very little bit. The biggest fear is the public themselves and there is not much QOL can do about that.

I do like the idea of being able to study those recipes that other players have an quicker means to obtain, so through persistance you can have those same rewards, as long as it doesn't take so long that the reward is no longer worth it by the time you get to the goal. I know going through EQ2 again from the beginning has just shown how worthless all those items I used to crave to obtain have become.

As pointed out above as you go up tiers as the timing gets longer I hope there is more reward than just another 1 point. I do hope for some prerequisites to some pretty exciting stuff would be the incentive to go that extra step further.
Adrios - Syndic (Soldier), Kadden (Mage); Hokk - Thrawn (Ranger); Toskala - Nelina (Healer)
Family - Mitthrawnurodo (Talrok)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users