Thee

Patron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationBerlin, Germany

Posted 08 March 2009 - 12:20 AM

Hey all,

I searched the forums to see if there are any active IRC channels out there, but all I've found was some old outdated threads containing servers and channels that no longer exist. I am a huge IRC nut myself, so I went ahead and created the channel #alganon on Stratics. I mostly hang out on Quakenet myself, but I understand that quite some people have their issues with this network. It's also not the most stable one. Anyway, here are the details:

Channel: #alganon (use /join #alganon to join the channel after you connected to a server, see below)
Network: irc.stratics.com (use /server irc.stratics.com to connect)

You can also pick one of these servers directly. It does not matter which one you pick as they are all connect anyway.

• stratics.frws.com - USA - Colorado
  • irc.glowfish.de - EU - Germany
  • irc.gamers-irc.org - USA - Colorado
  • irc.us.glowfish.de - USA - St. Louis

The guys and gals at Stratics have lots of information how to connect to IRC, register nicks and channels, so I'll just take the most important parts from them and provide links for more information on their site.
Before starting you should decide whether you'd like to install a client (like mIRC, but there are so many others... X-Chat, Trillian, etc.) or use one of the many Java IRC applications in your browser. If you plan to use IRC on a regular basis, go and grab a client. More information here.

Secure your nickname: Registering a nick is easy. Pick one using /nick NewNick. Type the command /ns register passwordhere your.email@theserver.com (insert your information there for password and mail address). You are now registered.
To identify yourself on the network type /ns identify passwordhere.

You can do that automatically by using perform. Stratics has more details how to that as well.

General note on IRC for people not familiar with it: People often hang out on IRC channels just like they are connected to a Instant Messenger, thus not everyone may be able or willing to reply within seconds. Hang in there, stay connected and eventually conversations will pick up.

Anyway, that's it for now. Hope to see you guys on IRC.

Last but not least: If I've missed information about an existing channel, please let me know. I'll edit the thread then. :-) I am also not sure if this is the best category for the thread. So Mods, please feel free to move it around as you see fit.

#2 Jergis

Jergis

Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 08 March 2009 - 08:15 AM

-Very cool. Thanks for taking the time to do this, i hope folks will hop on there and take advantage of the opportunity.

Jergis, not much of an IRC guy himself

#3 Thee

Thee

Patron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 09:01 AM

Oh my god... It's the official channel now and Berek has taken over. He is in there as well. Join in! :-)

#4 Jergis

Jergis

Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 14 March 2009 - 10:44 AM

-Very nice, hope others use this feature and take advantage of the access.

Jergis

#5 Velkyn

Velkyn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  • LocationTucson, AZ

Posted 14 March 2009 - 07:07 PM

Nice, I just joined. Will pop in from time to time.

#6 Thee

Thee

Patron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 01:24 AM

Nice, I just joined. Will pop in from time to time.

goodie, goodie. looking forward to talk to you soon then, heh.

(I've seen you join and leave, but you already left by the time I got back to the PC)

#7 Zianix

Zianix

Crusader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • LocationSweden.

Posted 15 March 2009 - 06:06 AM

Hey that's cool.
I'm so not an irc-nut... but I will hang around there for sure!
Good initiaiv.

/ Ziainix

#8 Suthainn

Suthainn

Crusader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 23 March 2009 - 04:50 PM

I'll be hanging out in the irc channel from now on.

Chat to you all soon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users