• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 olcan13

olcan13

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 07:51 AM

i don't know if i am alone in this but there are times i create alts to form new freinds or join diffrent guilds and i don't like it when ppl automaticly know that an alt is mine like in GW but i would like a way to get in touch of ppl that are playing alts mabe like a mail system only for writen mail that will get sent to their account and if there on they can respond right then if not they will get it next time they logg in on any char. so that if they don't want ppl to know that is their alt they don't have to.

#2 Jergis

Jergis

Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 12 February 2009 - 08:31 AM

-Valid point for sure, olcan, and one that is especially important to roleplayers. As Quest continues to sculpt the Family system, perhaps a toggle that would allow folks to see your Server ID (Similar to CoX) or not see it would be appropriate. So those that want everyone to know that Griefous the Slimey is an alt for Jergis the Fat could turn that feature on, but if i want to keep it hidden that Eran the Well-Endowed is also an alt for Jergis i can do so.

Thanks for posting, olcan, the more contributors to the discussions here the better!

Jergis

#3 Dificeman

Dificeman

Crusader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 12 February 2009 - 08:52 AM

ROFL Jergis nice names you have there :) As far as the subject of this post. I can not really say. I like it both ways. Sometimes when I played EQ and went to an alt to play I would have to log back over to my main just to find out if someone was on. I could not possibly remember all the names on my friends list. However I think there are times when everyone just wants to get away and be left alone. In those instances it sucks to be getting tells from people asking whatever when your on an alt to get away from it all.

#4 Chyra

Chyra

Crusader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 12 February 2009 - 10:21 AM

Yeah this is one aspect of the new family system that I had a slight concern over. It's not a huge issue I guess, but there have been times when I want to be on an unidentified alt just for some quiet time. This has been especially true when playing healers in past games.

I think some sort of toggle as suggested is definitely a great idea.
Posted Image

#5 olcan13

olcan13

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 10:39 AM

I think some sort of toggle as suggested is definitely a great idea.

i agree i can see both sides of the coin and am interested in seeing something like this or even a posiability of toggleing a char. off of lists like signing in as invisable in a chat room.

p.s. i am one that constantly flips back and forth between wanting to solo quietly and wanting to group

#6 Syndic

Syndic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1886 posts
  • LocationPerth, WAustralia

Posted 12 February 2009 - 08:26 PM

I don't have a problem with people seeing my alts, but I do know that sometimes I just want to be left alone. So certainly a switch to hide yourself would be good, sort of like the Messengers inivisible mode. Someone could still send you ingame mail and even talk to you directly, but wouldn't get "auto-divert" if they sent another one of your characters a tell. Maybe even have you see the tell, but let the other person get an auto-reply of you not online.

There is just so many ways it could be done really, but you certainly need something that allows you still play but not have it announced to everyone.
Adrios - Syndic (Soldier), Kadden (Mage); Hokk - Thrawn (Ranger); Toskala - Nelina (Healer)
Family - Mitthrawnurodo (Talrok)

#7 DeLang

DeLang

Crusader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 10:38 AM

A player can communicate some boundaries to satisfy their need for private time whether playing an alt or a main. Log in, say in guildchat "ooc: Just saying hi and letting folks know that I could use a bit of time to myself in-game tonight. Will catch up with you all another time. Happy hunting."

If the game offers a way to toggle off /tells, /invites, etc. then you're golden.

#8 Kairo

Kairo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 07:52 PM

i am also one of the people that may get frustrated with my guild or my friends on line and want to switch to a diferent toon and be left alone while i play and let off a bit of steam before returning to my main.
i think a toggle system would definitly be worthwhile to this or maybe an "Appear Offline Feature"

#9 Therian

Therian

Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 07:58 PM

one of the nice things about eq was the ability to log on pretty much as invisible. was nice for when I didnt want a constant stream of tells asking if I could come rez them.

I'd like to have that in all mmorpg's.

#10 Celestina

Celestina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 06:45 AM

well, i kinda like the feature and dont like it...

sometimes u need " alone time" from guild friends, SPOUSE /jk

and not be whispered HEY there, can u log onto your HEALER ?TANK? DPS? we want to run this dungeon we ONLY need YOU to be GTG.... UGH /HATE HATE HATE

if u say yes... you dont get to do what you want to do.... if you say NO you are marked selfish and worse. i think every toons should have their own "range of visiblility"

i.e.
My healer is know to everyone that knows me.. guild, friends, spouse /rolf

my little alt that i am secretly working on when i want alone time is only know to : *insert name*

kinda like in ICQ you can be invis and i.e your family are the only ones that can see you cos you've added them to your " invis list"

#11 Zoie

Zoie

Servant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 02 October 2009 - 03:32 AM

my last main morpg had chat options online offline and absence if u were off line you couldnt recieve messages at all but you could tell is someone was trying to contact you but not who and could make the choice if you wanted to see who it was by becomeing online if you were absent then you could see who it was that was trying to contact you and you would recieve their message as well. But still could make the decison to answer or not one other option could be dnd (do not disturb)these would show in your friends list as your character icon being greyed out if you were offline, it being lit up if online and a red circle with a line through it if you were absent. A red x on a circle could be used to show you didnt want to be disturbed. These were unintrusive additions to the character icon in the list.

#12 Glarnak

Glarnak

Prophet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 12:20 PM

We all need our privacy. I for one often find that I am the tank that is needed for this and that. So, i create alts on which I spend my time, and tell no one, or just one or two about that alts name. that way I cant be seen as selfish, though it is annoying not being able to just play ones toon as one would wish.

Anyways. Privacy. I prefer it and would advocate for it at anytime.
Glarnak - Soldier
Tleran - Healer

#13 Cuthbert

Cuthbert

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 12:28 PM

This discussion is interesting.

Would the possibility of two family names per account handle the issues? 1 a public last name and the second that you can share or not for your personal time?

#14 Lallante

Lallante

Prophet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 16 November 2009 - 12:44 AM

In WoW there is a /dnd function - Do no Disturb. And I believe you simply can't get whispers when in DND mode. That would be ideal.

Personally, I prefer knowing which alt belongs to which person. There's a chat mod in WoW (forget the name) where it tells you the name of the main character beside the alt's name. So (Lallante)Lillian would make Lallante my main char name and Lillian the name of the char I was playing currently. It even went so far as to color code the classes for you. I love it! You know exactly who you are talking to or you know what class the person is that is speaking. It makes for some conversations being more relevant, or not too. lol

Being able to toggle off the ability for others to know who your main is or not would be a nice feature. But it may be easier to just enter a DND mode too.

Ashla - 34 Ranger | Nia - 18 Soldier - Hokk Server, Fame & Fortune Guild
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users