#1 Chyra

Chyra

Crusader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 19 January 2009 - 10:33 AM

Was wondering if there would be any sort of guild search function within game. As far as ease of guilds locating members and members finding guilds, EQ2's system is the best I've seen anywhere. In other mmo's, guilds tend to recruit by advertising in chat, which turns a lot of players off, or hoping to meet unguilded people when grouping. Players often have to find guilds by googling a guild name they happen to see around, or hoping fate hooks them up with the right people.

I'm currently playing both EQ2 and LotRO. When I look around me in EQ2, the majority of players I come across are guilded. And I attribute that to how easy it is to find guilds there. Most players I've come across in LotRO are without a guild. Being in the right guild really can make a difference in how much you enjoy the game (at least that's been my experience).

I really hope there might be some tools available in game, so finding a guild isn't such a chore.
Posted Image

#2 Syndic

Syndic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1886 posts
  • LocationPerth, WAustralia

Posted 19 January 2009 - 03:48 PM

/agree
Adrios - Syndic (Soldier), Kadden (Mage); Hokk - Thrawn (Ranger); Toskala - Nelina (Healer)
Family - Mitthrawnurodo (Talrok)

#3 DeLang

DeLang

Crusader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 04:41 PM

Likewise.

EQ2's system has worked very well for our guild. Hopefully Alganon will also offer a way to bring guilds and players together. Perhaps via the Library?

#4 Berek

Berek

Former Community Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 19 January 2009 - 04:42 PM

As I hope our just posted Welcome Letter states well enough, we intend to help build the community in a variety of ways. Guild search tools are one of those things you will see both in-game and on our upcoming community system. Expect basic functionality in the beginning, with future features added to these systems as we receiv community feedback on them.

#5 Eric

Eric

Prophet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 19 January 2009 - 05:42 PM

Don't want to derail the thread but thanks for pointing out the welcome letter, Berek. It has some interesting info indeed :) Looking forward to the blog post tomorrow as well.

#6 rysonue

rysonue

Prophet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 08:00 PM

There is also the GW flaw where everyone is guilded because there is almost no investment to make a guild.

#7 Berek

Berek

Former Community Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 19 January 2009 - 08:21 PM

No worries Eric, I've created a thread for it in our Quest Online forum :).

#8 Jergis

Jergis

Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 20 January 2009 - 09:48 AM

-Perhaps, as in many fantasy tales, we will be able to post our offer of services to guilds on the outside of a tavern or guild hall. Or perhaps a guild can post what they are looking for on such a board, tacked to a tree, etc. Could be a way to introduce a friendly search tool in-game by visiting that tavern and clicking on the guild posting.

I agree anything that gives folks options to connect is a good thing.

Jergis

#9 Mouglue

Mouglue

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 08:11 PM

There is also the GW flaw where everyone is guilded because there is almost no investment to make a guild.

I agree 100%. Guilds are to easy to form.. I call em a dime a dozen.

#10 DeLang

DeLang

Crusader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 12:45 PM

I agree anything that gives folks options to connect is a good thing.

Same here. Often when starting a new game, I arrive along with a number of guild mates from other realms. We want our guildchat up and running ASAP so that we can share our excitement and help one another with basic questions. We want the guild functioning so we can start recruitment right away, get started helping one another, all the basic guild stuff.

Game mechanics which required substantial effort to initialize a guild would be a definite fun impediment for me. If someone wants to start a guild with 3 people at Level 1, then bless them and wish them success as they grow to their desired size.

I'd love to see the Guild setup interface ask for some basic information which would be displayed on the Guild Search Tool window.

Some starting ideas for entering data (which could be edited in the future) when setting up a guild:
Guild Name:
Primary focus: PvE | PvP
RP Orientation: none required | light | moderate | heavy
Home Base: Ardonya | Harajja
Charter: [input box to paste-in optional guild charter, with default section titles for RP Background/orientation, Guild policies, Grievance Protocol, DKP guidelines, etc. ]
Desired player age IRL: All Ages | Mature (18+) | Elder (35+)
Timezone most active: PST | CST | EST | GMT | etc.
Guild Forums: [url to guild's forums on MyAlganon site?]
Primary officers: [can list up to 6]

#11 rysonue

rysonue

Prophet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 07:08 PM

But I think that is a bad thing. Having hundreds of two person guilds seems silly. The idea I always liked (never saw a game with it though) is have tiered guilds. The lowest being able to form instantly and have a few members. And is basically is just guild chat. Then as the guild grows it gets more features. Can have ranks, recruitment options, message board, GvG battles, etc.

#12 Syndic

Syndic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1886 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 01:53 AM

But I think that is a bad thing. Having hundreds of two person guilds seems silly. The idea I always liked (never saw a game with it though) is have tiered guilds. The lowest being able to form instantly and have a few members. And is basically is just guild chat. Then as the guild grows it gets more features. Can have ranks, recruitment options, message board, GvG battles, etc.

That certainly sounds interesting. I have seen very minor attempts at something along these lines, and I mean minor. In EQ2 people can not see the name of your guild until the guild is level 5. Also the are things like guild heraldry and guils halls which require a guild level to attain. In Horizons you couldn't name your guild until it had more than 5 members (but starting a guild in HZ was the easiest I found).

We want our guildchat up and running ASAP so that we can share our excitement and help one another with basic questions.

My friends and I want the same thing also, but I find many games charge a fee to create a guild, almost specifically so that they can't be created straight off. Sure 10g is nothing a few months down the track but when you level 1 on day 1 of release, it can be hard to get that money together and still have enough to supply yourself to start a guild, years down the track the fee almost seems pointless now and just another hurdle to jump over. We found just having our own private chat channel a much faster and easier option until the guild got up and running, several weeks later.

Do I want 2 man guilds everywhere? Of course not. But it doesn't bother me either. If they do things like hide guild names and don't give any benefits above chat then I really shouldn't care. Although I agree adding things based on guild membership or "level" (if they have one) wouldn't be so bad, even though I am a person who has my own private guild.
Adrios - Syndic (Soldier), Kadden (Mage); Hokk - Thrawn (Ranger); Toskala - Nelina (Healer)

#13 DeLang

DeLang

Crusader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 11:20 AM

Good point about the guild fee, Syndic. It does indeed seem like an unnecessary hurdle which delays the formation of a community. Creating a private chat channel (if that's even an option; some games it's not) as a work-around helps but doesn't offer the boons which the info in a guild panel would to starting players. I would prefer to see any fee or moneysink added to the upgrade from a lower tier guild ranking to a higher one. Start the guild with your good intentions and a couple friends, no coin needed, no lengthy rite of passage. Facilitate community gathering with low to non-existent entry barriers.

#14 Syndic

Syndic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1886 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 07:24 PM

/agree

#15 Tork

Tork

Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 10 September 2009 - 09:35 PM

Moved to Guilds section.
Posted Image

#16 Celestina

Celestina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 06:08 AM

yes there should be a layout for guilds and you can search and sort for guilds
Faction
Server
name
members??

i was thinking along this line

Name:
Created / formed
No. of members
Family ? i.e if its an family specific guild, as in members have to be part of that family ???
Mission/ Goal: ie. lvl, dungeons, explore ( what ever the Guildlead should decide)
existing classes: should be automatically updated and linked to ingame

Recruiting: classes / and or professions ?
Homepage * optional
vent: * optional

anyone else have more ideas for a introductory page for the guilds?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users