Photo

Do you want this game to get new players or don't you?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 drufless

drufless

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 10:21 PM

I recently got the idea to give Alganon another time. The only things which have ever bothered me are: a) Looks too much like WoW (but Alganon is going to a better direction now), B) Damn small playerbase! c) no zone chat unless you pay???

Anyways, many of you might be familiar with the super popular website MMOHUT.com. I highly recommend that the Devs send sneak previews or news to mmohut.com since that website has LOTS of readers and the youtube channel has a "weekly recap" where one of the admins talks about everything new what has happened in the world of F2P mmos during the past week. But seriously, promote Alganon more

#2 Heath

Heath

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationOklahoma City, US

Posted 07 April 2011 - 12:29 AM

Yes! Please promote Alganon more. This game is truly great but the word needs to get out! The ratings on MMORPG.com are pretty bad too... I don't understand why.

#3 drufless

drufless

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 02:11 AM

Yes! Please promote Alganon more. This game is truly great but the word needs to get out! The ratings on MMORPG.com are pretty bad too... I don't understand why.

Most likely because of the F2P limitations, playerbase and Alganon being a WoW clone (at least it used to be, but imo it still is).

#4 BVRBandit

BVRBandit

QOL Staff

• Administrators
  • 308 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 03:58 AM

You don't pay to chat anymore.

The game is no more a WoW clone now, than is Rift or similar games in the fantasy genre.

The MMORPG ratings are a) meaningless B) were done back when the game was originally released in a less than stellar state by the original person in charge of the project.

A lot of work has gone into the game this past year and we're proud of the work that has been done. We have been doing marketing as best we can and with decent results I might ad.

And yes, believe it or not, the game continues to grow. One of the biggest issues is that we only have servers in the US, but we are looking to fix that, along with localization for international licensing and such.

Most importantly, when a game is launched to much dissenting fanfare - as this was back in Nov 2009 - it takes a herculean effort to rebound from that. Especially if said game was largely unfinished, buggy etc - and designed to compete with the 100lb gorilla in the room. We spent quite a bit of time, effort and money fixing that and everything that we have put into the game since I took it over is testament to that.

Instead of talking about it, you too can do something about it by spreading the word.
Game developers are just human beings who happen to make games for a living. If you want to hold us up to higher standards of conduct, then go ahead...but don't be surprised if we don't uphold them.

#5 drufless

drufless

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 04:06 AM

Thanks for the response. I noticed today that chat is now free which is a very good thing. Alganon has it's good sides (haven't noticed too many bugs + awesome music and gfx) but it also has it's downside (playerbase). Another big problem is that Quest online isn't a very known MMO publisher which causes suspicion.

May I ask does Quest online have any plans to make Alganon more "unique" compared to World of warcraft?

Edited by drufless, 07 April 2011 - 04:06 AM.

#6 BVRBandit

BVRBandit

QOL Staff

• Administrators
  • 308 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 04:32 AM

Thanks for the response. I noticed today that chat is now free which is a very good thing. Alganon has it's good sides (haven't noticed too many bugs + awesome music and gfx) but it also has it's downside (playerbase). Another big problem is that Quest online isn't a very known MMO publisher which causes suspicion.

May I ask does Quest online have any plans to make Alganon more "unique" compared to World of warcraft?

The game is already very unique. The comparisons to WoW were - for the most part - cosmetic. We're fine with where things are now and thus have no plans to do anything else in that direction.

QOL being a new MMO publisher is irrelevant and has no bearing on anything. There are lots of MMO games out there from new and unknown publishers. There are also MMO games from known publishers and which aren't doing any better either. There is a reason why so many MMO games went from subscription to F2P.
Game developers are just human beings who happen to make games for a living. If you want to hold us up to higher standards of conduct, then go ahead...but don't be surprised if we don't uphold them.

#7 drufless

drufless

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 06:08 AM

Well ok then, as I said I haven't played to a higher level so I can't tell if this game really is a wow clone. It's a great game so far and I am really looking forward to try and spread the word :D

#8 tyro

tyro

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Locationtoronto

Posted 07 April 2011 - 08:56 AM

My hesitation to really promote Alganon is simply 1 feature,

- Guild Creation (not being free)

I have played many other games that involve guilds, none of them charge actual money to create one.

every game I have played, (cabal online, Red Stone, Outwar, crowns of power for examples) allowed the creation of guilds/crew/teams,

I found working for rampid entertainment that our players enjoyed banding together in competition against other guilds.

Im not saying everything should be free, but how about 20 member guild with a basic U/I
and pay for additional features,

What do you think?

#9 drufless

drufless

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 09:12 AM

I have played many other games that involve guilds, none of them charge actual money to create one.

every game I have played, (cabal online, Red Stone, Outwar, crowns of power for examples) allowed the creation of guilds/crew/teams,

I found working for rampid entertainment that our players enjoyed banding together in competition against other guilds.

Im not saying everything should be free, but how about 20 member guild with a basic U/I

What do you think?

That sounds fair enough, but don't know what the devs think

#10 tyro

tyro

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Locationtoronto

Posted 07 April 2011 - 09:23 AM

What do you think?

That sounds fair enough, but don't know what the devs think

I would hope they could agree, I do agree that select premium content should be available for paying players.

I see that alot of games allot 1-2 spaces in character inventory to paid for items only. In Cabal they give 4 spaces for paid for items Only, although they are time based items i found my self paying small amounts every 2 weeks to keep my stats increased beyond my normal level.

At rampid they usually had items / Points available for members for free if they would promote the game, Having new players sign up under a special link. I think it was 5 points per new player that made it to lvl 10, 10 points for players that make it to level 25. You would also receive 10% bonus from the first purchase from your underlings

10 points = $ .1

Player to Player promotion is amazing, Outwar had 250,000 active users, and it was a browser game.

#11 Padreic

Padreic

Lead CSGM / Spreader of Chaos

• QOL Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1369 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 09:36 AM

Remember, only guild creation is limited for free accounts. Anyone is welcome to be invited to/join a guild regardless of their account status. They are only limited in actually creating a guild themselves. This drastically lowers the number of affected players, since not every player is going to want to run a guild (the vast majority are guild members, not leaders). Also, please remember that those who DO want to create a guild on their free accounts don't need to purchase the entire Super Pack to do so (though it's usually a smarter idea in the long run). You can purchase the Guild Creation service from the TMS for 500 Tribute, which is only $2.80. That's a very small price to pay for a free account to have the ability to run a guild.

Hopefully that helps clear things up a little with free accounts and guild membership.
I'm currently drinking a Pepsi. Doesn't matter when you read this, it's most likely true.

#12 tyro

tyro

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Locationtoronto

Posted 07 April 2011 - 09:45 AM

Remember, only guild creation is limited for free accounts. Anyone is welcome to be invited to/join a guild regardless of their account status. They are only limited in actually creating a guild themselves. This drastically lowers the number of affected players, since not every player is going to want to run a guild (the vast majority are guild members, not leaders). Also, please remember that those who DO want to create a guild on their free accounts don't need to purchase the entire Super Pack to do so (though it's usually a smarter idea in the long run). You can purchase the Guild Creation service from the TMS for 500 Tribute, which is only $2.80. That's a very small price to pay for a free account to have the ability to run a guild.

Hopefully that helps clear things up a little with free accounts and guild membership.

Actually im sorry to say that it doesn't, if we could play together in an organized fashion, the whole 20 regulars that are on each day, im sure it would push us more to wanting to support the game more, I have searched forums and asked anyone that i meet about having a guild, so far 1 person has had the ability but with there limited time being online we are stuck in limbo having to solo 90% of the time.

I do see alot of guilds posting information about themselves and here are the 2 common denominators,

- Guild post recruiting ( from march ish* 2010 )
- Guild post recruiting lvl 50s

#13 BVRBandit

BVRBandit

QOL Staff

• Administrators
  • 308 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 09:59 AM

Actually im sorry to say that it doesn't, if we could play together in an organized fashion, the whole 20 regulars that are on each day, im sure it would push us more to wanting to support the game more, I have searched forums and asked anyone that i meet about having a guild, so far 1 person has had the ability but with there limited time being online we are stuck in limbo having to solo 90% of the time.

I do see alot of guilds posting information about themselves and here are the 2 common denominators,

If I understand you correctly, what you're saying is that you're not willing to pay a measly $2.80 to create a guild; is that right?

Anyway, there are absolutely no plans to change how guilds work at this time.

#14 tyro

tyro

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Locationtoronto

Posted 07 April 2011 - 10:36 AM

If I understand you correctly, what you're saying is that you're not willing to pay a measly $2.80 to create a guild; is that right?

Anyway, there are absolutely no plans to change how guilds work at this time.

Well, case closed. instead of angry comments, ill simply say I disagree.
(never buy a car without test driving it first, never buy a game without downloading the 1 hour demo 5 times :biggrin: )

2nd - opinion of current player to new player marketing?

do you think it a good idea if players would invite friends from school/work etc... to play?
- Maybe offering in game gold or silver, not actual Tribute $ ?

#15 Heath

Heath

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 09:51 PM

The game is no more a WoW clone now, than is Rift or similar games in the fantasy genre.

The MMORPG ratings are a) meaningless B) were done back when the game was originally released in a less than stellar state by the original person in charge of the project.

A lot of work has gone into the game this past year and we're proud of the work that has been done. We have been doing marketing as best we can and with decent results I might ad.

And yes, believe it or not, the game continues to grow. One of the biggest issues is that we only have servers in the US, but we are looking to fix that, along with localization for international licensing and such.

Most importantly, when a game is launched to much dissenting fanfare - as this was back in Nov 2009 - it takes a herculean effort to rebound from that. Especially if said game was largely unfinished, buggy etc - and designed to compete with the 100lb gorilla in the room. We spent quite a bit of time, effort and money fixing that and everything that we have put into the game since I took it over is testament to that.

Instead of talking about it, you too can do something about it by spreading the word.

We all know this. We all know the hard work that has since been done, which is why we continue to love this game and continue to play. The rating on mmorpg do matter because to outsiders, it is the current state of the game. Which, as a player, I can clearly state that it is not accurate as the game is now MUCH better and one of the best MMO's if not the best MMO F2P or not at the moment. And yes, I do show this publicly elsewhere in order to self promote the game.

We just need to come up with a better way of getting the word out or something. This game is NOT a WoW clone, only some similar things, like with any MMO.
Back to the server merge topic: I think it needs to be done. There are not enough players at any given time for a group or party that I have seen over the past month going to level 23 now. This is quite a discouragement.

P.S. Keep up the good work devs!

#16 drufless

drufless

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 04:31 AM

We all know this. We all know the hard work that has since been done, which is why we continue to love this game and continue to play. The rating on mmorpg do matter because to outsiders, it is the current state of the game. Which, as a player, I can clearly state that it is not accurate as the game is now MUCH better and one of the best MMO's if not the best MMO F2P or not at the moment. And yes, I do show this publicly elsewhere in order to self promote the game.

We just need to come up with a better way of getting the word out or something. This game is NOT a WoW clone, only some similar things, like with any MMO.
Back to the server merge topic: I think it needs to be done. There are not enough players at any given time for a group or party that I have seen over the past month going to level 23 now. This is quite a discouragement.

To WoW players everything is a wow clone (looks like they have never heard of Everquest :D but is it a coincidence that Alganon has the same horrible death system that WoW does and for instance the only loot you get as a low level being Linen cloth? I don't think so. Still this isn't a WoW clone. It's what people call an MMORPG :thumbsup:

I agree with the server merge, but I play in Europe so that could be a reason why I never see more than 10 people online :(

Edited by drufless, 09 April 2011 - 04:33 AM.

#17 Heath

Heath

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 02:32 PM

To WoW players everything is a wow clone (looks like they have never heard of Everquest :D but is it a coincidence that Alganon has the same horrible death system that WoW does and for instance the only loot you get as a low level being Linen cloth? I don't think so. Still this isn't a WoW clone. It's what people call an MMORPG :thumbsup:

I agree with the server merge, but I play in Europe so that could be a reason why I never see more than 10 people online :(

I play at various times in the US and still there is always an issue with population. It is never as it should be for a good experience. A server merge would make sense. Open another later if need be, but right now we need everyone on a single server. Please see it through devs! :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users