• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 QOL-Genesi

QOL-Genesi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 02:04 PM

Topic has been closed. Please see the "My name is..." sticky at the top of this forum for an explanation.

Thanks,
Berek

Hello!

My name is Dave Johnson. I am the new Community Manager for Alganon. I recently joined the Alganon team and I will be working on getting Alganon onto everyone lips. Get them talking about the game.

I am going to be doing a lot of updates in the next few weeks and getting ready for the big announcement in the near future.

I will also be updating the FAQ. What sort of information would you like to see in there? Give me some of the questions you often ask yourself. I will see what I can do for you!

Feel free to contact me with your questions and concerns. I will do everything I can for you. I am here for you, so let me know how I can help.

Dave Johnson
Alganon Community Manager

#2 Jergis

Jergis

Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 02 December 2008 - 04:06 PM

-Howdy and welcome, Mr. Johnson. I trust your stay here will be a positive one. We'll keep the flamethrowers in the closet for the first few days at least.

As to your general question of info for the FAQ, i'm not one to demand. I don't really have anything i think needs to be in there. When looking at FAQs for many other games currently live and still in development, they all do things a bit different. Anything that you feel reflects info that belongs there works for me. I ain't too picky.

One thing you may want to consider (aside from getting a content editor on this site) is to have someone do up the wikipedia page. Great place to start and in coinciding with the FAQ a great baseline of information to build from.

What am i saying, you probably already have that on yer to do list. This is your line of work, after all.

Good journey, glad to have ya.

Jergis

#3 Syndic

Syndic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1886 posts
  • LocationPerth, WAustralia

Posted 03 December 2008 - 01:50 AM

Welcome aboard Genesi.

As for FAQ questions I guess answering many of the threads with how Alganon will do "it" would be a massive addition. Although as it looks about 90% of that info is still under wraps.

I like the game mechanics side of things in a FAQ, like
- How will guilds work, families etc. Structure, membership etc.
- How does the skill system work in with the study side of things.
- Will there be swimming, flying, doors, teleportation, mounts (what type) etc etc.
- Will there be crafting of world objects, like community projects to improve the world around players or we dealing with a pre-built society.
- Will crafting require resources that are harvested from the world, what schools/classes will that involve can a player all of them or a select few.
- What sort of things are being done to make characters unique yet still create a balanced playstyle for all.
- For a PvP centric style game how is PvE servers going to be handled, are we dealing with just more safer areas with more strict rules or is there no PvP unless consented (I'm voting for option 2 BTW).

I guess you get the picture the more info/FAQ's the better I guess. I guess the many subjects started over the last 2 years will certainly give you a starting point. I've tried to frame my topics in a "How would you do it?" sort of way, listing examples. In the hopes that one day QOL would put in an answer :)
Adrios - Syndic (Soldier), Kadden (Mage); Hokk - Thrawn (Ranger); Toskala - Nelina (Healer)
Family - Mitthrawnurodo (Talrok)

#4 Kenzo

Kenzo

Prophet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 06:09 AM

Welcome :)

#5 Dificeman

Dificeman

Crusader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 03 December 2008 - 12:04 PM

Welcome. As far as the FAQ I think Syndic pretty much covered what I believe most of us would like to see in a FAQ. Also maybe something as to rather the game will actually cater at all to solo/dou/small groups or if it is going to stay mainly focused on full group to raid content. I know the design is laid out for massive raid group type stuff, but basically will there be enough in the game to cater to those of us who prefer the small group to douing to do throughout all levels of the game?

#6 Chyra

Chyra

Crusader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 03 December 2008 - 12:46 PM

Hello and welcome!

I would like to see what Dificeman suggested regarding the type of content available for various playstyles. I also am curious as to whether there will be small group content rather than the standard solo or full six-person group.
Posted Image

#7 Vanpry

Vanpry

Crusader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 03 December 2008 - 01:23 PM

Welcome!

Iím a big crafting nut so Iíll start off there.

What different types of crafting are you planning?

Can one person master all the crafts given enough time and effort?

Can one person study multiple things at the same time? If so does the penalty apply?

Iím assuming to craft you will need to gather resources. What types of resources will be available? Will there be rare resources? Will resource gathering be via node or like UO? I personally hope UO style.

Does resource gathering skill take studying? If so can you study a resource gathering skill and crafting skill at the same time without a penalty?

Will all receipts be learned via study?

Will crafting be very dependant on combat? Grated some things like hides etc. will have to be gotten from animals, but my question is more towards WoW fire, water, mana and earth primals.

How gear dependant will Alganon and will crafted gear be able to compete with drop gear?

Are you planning to have non combat or lower combat type skills? Non combat skills like farming (LOTRO), music (LOTRO), and low combat skills like fishing (UO) or treasure maps (UO) or taming (UO). Current mmos are suffering from a lack of diversity. Current you log on and decide what you will kill today, where in UO I could log on and decide what I was going to do.

Iíd like to finish for now at least with a statement. I know player housing is not currently planned for Algonon. That being said I hope for future expansions this decision will be look at again. Player housing really adds to a games depth, it really gives you a feeling of belonging in the world and a nice break from the daily routine when needed. There were many times that I logged into UO and wasted hours just screwing around with my house decorations.

Again welcome and look forward to hearing all about Alganon in much greater detail.

#8 QOL-Genesi

QOL-Genesi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 03:30 PM

Thank you all for the welcomes. I have read over the information you have posted and I have adjusted the FAQ to answer a few of your questions. There is still more work to be done, so I will get back to it. Thank you for the questions. I will get the FAQ posted as soon as it is ready.

#9 Convo

Convo

Prophet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 04:21 PM

Welcome!

#10 Daemongrad

Daemongrad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 10:29 PM

I'd just like to say hello to you all.... Just wondering how close to fruition this is...... seems like it will be good.... but mostly just hey!!!

#11 Convo

Convo

Prophet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 04:29 AM

I'd just like to say hello to you all.... Just wondering how close to fruition this is...... seems like it will be good.... but mostly just hey!!!

Welcome Daemongrad. Alganon is slated for a 2009 release. We hope open beta will start early 09. Lots of info to come in the new year so now is a good time to be checking the website.

#12 Vanpry

Vanpry

Crusader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 04 December 2008 - 07:53 AM

Welcome!

Alganon is slated for 09, but the way most mmo go realisticly probably 10.

#13 Vanpry

Vanpry

Crusader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 04 December 2008 - 08:29 AM

Thank you all for the welcomes. I have read over the information you have posted and I have adjusted the FAQ to answer a few of your questions. There is still more work to be done, so I will get back to it. Thank you for the questions. I will get the FAQ posted as soon as it is ready.

http://www.alganon.com/faq
This FAQ?

Could you possible change the color of new information? Would make it easier to follow along with new info, unless I missed something.

Thanks for the updates and look forward to seeing more.

#14 DeLang

DeLang

Crusader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 08:43 AM

Nice to meet you Genesi. :)

Here's some questions left over from when Requinix asked this question in February of this year:

Family & Guild
Will there be a record in the Library of each guild on the server, listing their attributes, "looking for" requests, and other information to help players know what's out there and select a guild?

Classes
What distinguishes the Asheroth and Kujix classes from one another, apart from alignment?
e.g. Are we looking at 4 classes (plus Healer), each with an analog? Are there 8 truly different classes?
What makes each class unique?

Character Slots / Alts
How does the learning system influence the appeal of Alts?
Will there be a way to experiment with different classes, without hampering your learning curve on your main character?
How many character slots will be available upon release?

Tradeskills and Gathering
Which tradeskills are currently in development?
Which might be developed later?
Is town building, world structure repair/construction in development or planned?
What is the likelihood it will be included in release or at a later date?
Will processing stations be out in the landscape or within buildings or a blend?
Will tradeskilling at a processing station be vulnerable to PvP?
Are there any plans to develop crafting or gathering parties akin to adventuring parties?
Will it be practical for a tradeskiller or gatherer to obtain what they need from the landscape without simultaneously raising their adventuring or relying on the Auction House?

Items
Will there be clothing/tools/jewelry of common, special, enchanted, magical, legendary and godlike varieties for tradeskillers and gatherers to equip, just like for the adventurers?
Will there be clothing/tools/jewelry for companions? Can tradeskillers make these items?
What is the pecking order or relationship between crafted goods and dungeon treasure?
Can dungeon armor/weaponry/jewelry be upgraded or enhanced by tradeskills?
Will there be items in the game world, obtained through battalion and legion fighting, so powerful that players will not have any further motivation to enter party dungeons or seek out crafters for anything other than consumables?
How will items be flagged to ensure players earn them themselves and that farmers cannot hoard or sell them?

Parties, Battalions & Legions
How will Alganon facilitate party forming?
Will there be a looking for group interface at launch or post-release?
Will there be a mentoring/sidekick mechanism to bring characters of different learning progress together?

Instances
Will Alganon offer party-only instances in addition to server-shared instances/dungeons?
Will Algonon offer scaling PvE instances?
Easy, Moderate, Hard options when entering an instance?

Magic System
Why is the magic system critically important to the Kujix and Asheroth?

#15 Grimmway

Grimmway

Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 941 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 06 December 2008 - 12:02 AM

Awesome.

Any/all improvements to the FAQ adding to its' FAQiness will be appreciated!

Grimmway

#16 Dificeman

Dificeman

Crusader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 09 December 2008 - 10:02 AM

cool I read over the FAQ now and believe this is new or atleast revised.

How are you going to balance single player vs. group play?

ALGANON features many different types of content to address both single and group play styles. The core game is designed for single players to have a rich and fulfilling experience on their own if they choose; however certain realms of adventure will require a group of players to infiltrate and conquer, and of course the large-scale Crusades between sides will often require large-scale groups. The player can choose their own play style; with or without a group, and always find something to do regardless of their choice. We do not want to penalize players who wish to play alone, but we want to enhance the experience for those who want to play together.

Thanks =)

#17 Jergis

Jergis

Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 10 December 2008 - 01:20 PM

-I don't think it's been updated yet, although i am glad to hear they are giving it attention. Why do i think they haven't touched it yet?:

"What makes ALGANON different from other MMOGs?
We first recommend that you read the "Features" section to familiarize yourself with the core features of the game. While we offer a number of innovative systems such as families, ALGANONs..."

That last 'ALGANON' should actually read 'crusade'. it appears they flushed the word in the FAQ but didn't proofread the corrections.

Again, glad yer on the team to bring players a solid game, looking forward to reading more.

Jergis

#18 Thee

Thee

Patron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationBerlin, Germany

Posted 23 December 2008 - 05:08 PM

Yay, good to read about the addition of a CM to the team... seems like things are really moving forward over there, although we don't get to see much of the movement yet. :-)

Hope you enjoy your new gig, Genesi

*puts the site back on his heavy rotation list*

#19 Berek

Berek

Former Community Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 28 December 2008 - 03:34 PM

Please see the following thread for reasons to the lock of this one, and my presence here:

http://www.alganon.c...p?showtopic=712

Thanks!
Berek

Yay, good to read about the addition of a CM to the team... seems like things are really moving forward over there, although we don't get to see much of the movement yet. :-)

Hope you enjoy your new gig, Genesi

*puts the site back on his heavy rotation list*

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users