#1 Jergis

Jergis

Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 28 November 2008 - 08:18 AM

-The gods of many a realm usually have weapons or means of conflict that they prefer as to other gods. DnD has this concept, and to a lesser extent others have incorporated in games. And there are no doubt many many ways to incorporate this into a fantasy MMO. Would Alganon benefit from a 'favored weapon' concept?

It could take the form of a quest line, wherein you learn the history behind your diety, the reason they favor such a weapon, and then you complete tasks on your way to earning 'extra credit' when using that particular weapon or class of offence.

I'm having brief visions of the Star Trek story of the Klingon Kahless as i type this.

Or perhaps a blanket +5% to hit if you use the weapon of your god?

Possibly a study focus intertwined with a quest that allows for a proc or other bonus to any weapon you use to announce your loyalty to that god (Jergis strikes a mighty blow for the God of Healing and heals his comrade Narkos for 100hp)?

This type of quest or connection desirable? Problematic?

Jergis

#2 Syndic

Syndic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1886 posts
  • LocationPerth, WAustralia

Posted 28 November 2008 - 05:23 PM

Yeah in DnD I chose Cyric just so my cleric could use long swords. :)

Anyway the only down side I could see to this is clerics being pigeon holed into using a certain weapon just because they follow SoAndSo. You give any player a benefit for using 1 item over that for using a different item and they feel compelled to use the bonus one whether they like to or not.

I see the roleplay side of it certainly, but not everyone's views follow that line. Maybe like DnD rather than a bonus just give classes a restricted weapon set but it is increased by their beliefs, so the class will have more options to choose from than normal but every choice is equal.
Adrios - Syndic (Soldier), Kadden (Mage); Hokk - Thrawn (Ranger); Toskala - Nelina (Healer)
Family - Mitthrawnurodo (Talrok)

#3 Drox

Drox

Prophet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 08:38 PM

I think your close. I doubt it will be a particular weapons, but from what I gather that is the whole part of a deity is it not?

To gain bonuses by choosing a god to worship, and do favors for. You gain special attributes, or special weapons, secret quests to unearth these special items etc...

I don't think it will be pigeon holing people into certain items or what have ya as that doesn't seem to be what the theme to the game is.

But I think we will see similar benefits to what you describe, just not so cornered and forced into 1 thing.

An example as to what I expect, as being part of a crusade and gaining a spell to boost your melee damage by 25% for 60 seconds whilst in any area not controlled by that exact opposite deity.

Or maybe a secret black smith will be unlocked who sells legendary gear, that he will ask you to complete some quests for special materials... then once completed you get to buy from him etc...

Or completing crusades and or special quests for weapons, armor, spells etc... You get the point.

#4 zopyros

zopyros

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 05:58 PM

A quest connection would be great, especially a level protected one. Perhaps stages of the quest available every x # of levels to allow you access to something different. Ultimately I'd like to see a god offer perhaps a special branch of a profession. A blacksmith loyal to the God of Death has the ability to create demon blades perhaps? Mayhap the Goddess of Earth grants the blacksmith the ability to craft mighty earthen shields and boots? The God of Arcane grants staffs of arcane power and single-handed blades...you get the point.

#5 Razurescens

Razurescens

Patron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 19 March 2009 - 12:07 PM

I think that a 'favored weapon' concept connected with a quest line is a good idea, i also like your idea Zopyros to have some crafting things connected with the deity.

#6 Tsukikage

Tsukikage

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationArizona, USA

Posted 24 November 2009 - 10:22 AM

I like the crafting idea. Maybe some of the more powerful weapons or other type of gear can only be crafted by obtaining a specific material that is only given to the players by gaining favor points with the God they worship.

In other words, anyone that learns a skill can learn the recipe to craft a God Power-infused item, but not everyone will be able to obtain the materials. In order to get the materials, you could have to do many quests or raids for the God that gives out those materials.

You make the God happy, he/she rewards you with materials to create powerful equipment. These materials could be related to the deity's favored skill or weapon.
- Tsukikage

#7 Jonrobin

Jonrobin

Prophet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationKingsport, Tn

Posted 24 November 2009 - 01:11 PM

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but Drox....are you the same Drox who created the wonderful ui in Vanguard?
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way you'll be a mile away, and you'll have their shoes ! Posted Image

#8 Hakiem

Hakiem

Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts
  • LocationSanctuary

Posted 24 November 2009 - 02:07 PM

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but Drox....are you the same Drox who created the wonderful ui in Vanguard?

He hasn't been active since:

Last Active: August 10th 2009

By his profile ....

Just Me,
Tim
Posted Image
Characters on Servers: Human- Lazarus Cadfael Gandalf & Redcomyn. Kujix - Roland Loki Shadowspawn & Knightlife. Fun is the name of the Game.

#9 Mhantra

Mhantra

Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted 24 November 2009 - 03:38 PM

Righteous! A year-old Jergis thread, back from the dead!
Xakalak; Hokk; Talrok Lifeblood Ranger
Mhantra; Adrios; Human Frost Magus

#10 Hakiem

Hakiem

Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts
  • LocationSanctuary

Posted 24 November 2009 - 04:19 PM

Righteous! A year-old Jergis thread, back from the dead!

That's why they put in the Resurrection spell. :yes:

Just Me,
Tim
Characters on Servers: Human- Lazarus Cadfael Gandalf & Redcomyn. Kujix - Roland Loki Shadowspawn & Knightlife. Fun is the name of the Game.

#11 Mhantra

Mhantra

Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted 24 November 2009 - 04:32 PM

That's why they put in the Resurrection spell. :yes:

Just Me,
Tim

Funny, I didn't think the Resurrection spells were working yet. :sad: