21 replies to this topic

#1 beloit551

beloit551

Patron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 06:10 PM

Ok with this new focus change i find it to boring to lvl my low lvl magus. I kill 1 thing I'm out of focus and it takes a bit for it to hit full again. I'm afraid to see what is gonna happen when i get 2 on me. the time it takes for the focus to go to full is to long as far as i can see. My higher lvl mystic is having no problem cause of talents and training i did but the lower lvl char is hurting for it. Any chance to increase it somehow for the lower lvls or should i just delete the character now.

#2 Padreic

Padreic

Lead CSGM / Spreader of Chaos

• QOL Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1369 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 08:26 AM

With this change, moderation and Focus-smart gameplay is important at low levels. I find that now with a low-level Magus or Healer I need to use my wand attack intermixed with spells (as opposed to before when I just did it to kill faster). Start with a wand attack, toss in a spell as the attack hits and keep auto attacking with spells as needed. I can take on a couple enemies at a time using this method without any real danger of dying as long as I don't get ahead of myself and blow my Focus reserve. Timely action use is another important factor.
I'm currently drinking a Pepsi. Doesn't matter when you read this, it's most likely true.

#3 dewald

dewald

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 04:58 AM

When you first announced this change, I posted that this change would make leveling more of a grind and less enjoyable and that is exactly what it did.

I have a level 50 mystic and this change made some small modifications to my gameplay, but nothing that made playing any less enjoyable. The corresponding changes to the instances are much of the reason why. The unchanged world bosses were also manageable with decent gear and a little restraint.

Since there were no changes to the world mobs and since leveling a mage was already a pain in the butt, the first 20 levels of leveling are just plain unenjoyable. This is not the kind of change that will bring in the numbers of people that this game needs.

Low level gear needs to have their soul and/or intelligence increased significantly to overcome this.

#4 Anzha

Anzha

Crusader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 07:19 AM

I haven't personally attempted to play a low lvl caster type since the change, however while the spirit drain combined with the instance changes actually I feel IMPROVED gameplay significantly as far as time needed to complete instances, I have noticed that my 50 ranger has been crippled by the spirit drain significantly. My 50 mystic can deal with it. ;)

Typically in long fights/worldbosses/etc. we parse damage for informative purposes and to help evaluate which skills are better use of focus, etc. Yesterday in doing the round of worldbosses and such I found that my ranger's DPS is about half of what it used to be due to this change - and I'm fairly stacked in +soul gear as much as is possible with existing equipment, even opting for a few cloth pieces to help with that when I'm not going to be taking damage. I must say that I found the DPS difference quite devastating. Having a look at other ranger abilities there isn't much that can be done to reduce focus cost of skills significantly enough to dent this let alone overcome it. While previously I was able to match or nearly match the DPS of an offensively spec'd champion, now I struggle to do half as much damage over any given period of time, as Champions relying on energy rather than focus are not affected by this change whatsoever - but still have the advantage of reduced mob health in instances so have in effect been made very powerful while other DPS classes (mages, rangers) relying on focus have been made seemingly obsolete.

Likewise, bringing my 50 mage to the empress fight I found that I could cast spells for about 10 seconds before my focus was drained dry (fully buffed with int buff, infusion, etc.) then had to fall back on wanding for 20 seconds waiting for it to refill.

I'm not saying that the change is BAD, but I am saying that it DRAMATICALLY changes class balance and usefulness of certain classes in group situations. Focus-dependent DPS classes don't bring enough alternative utility to the group to justify playing one currently when even a tank-spec'd champ can match their damage output.

Currently for most content a few elements are needed:

- someone to take the damage
- someone to heal the damage
- interrupt
- healing/buffs

Crowd control as such is mostly nonexistent in Alganon (not a complaint, merely an observation). There are no real reliable mezzes/stun abilities, the ones that do exist do not seem reliable enough for consistent dependable use. For the moment, the best way to deal with multiple mobs at once in an instance is to put a tank in front of each add.

Now, with the above, currently Champions shine as, regardless of spec, they can fill in the tank and/or damage roles (to a greater extent obviously depending on gear and/or ability point choice, but even a DPS champ can handle tanking of most adds esp. with the reduced mob hp now - they can kill it before it hurts them much). The only drawback to having multiple champs in a group is for powercleaving bosses as they must stand in melee range, but with decent equipment this becomes less of an issue.

Mystics obviously are needed as they bring the heals to the table; while heal oriented rangers can do an admirable job of this as well, they lack the buffs and 'group heal' utility. Mystics are also capable of 'decent' damage output in situations where significant healing isn't needed, ie trash mobs, when wand damage/dots can contribute to getting things dead. Spirit drain only really means that we have to watch it on bad pulls or difficult bosses but after running through all the Test of Faith last night and not having to chug a single focus potion, I'd say its manageable.

Mages and rangers, however, I feel have gotten the short end of the stick here. While mages do have a 30-min cooldown combat rez, the main thing that they are supposed to be bringing to the group is -damage-. They do have an interrupt capability but it is difficult to execute it in the time that the enemy skill bar is showing if they are already mid-cast of another spell, and also due to global cooldowns. I have found that paralyze and other cc like ability isn't very effective in instancing, which brings us back to damage. And with spirit drain, the damage has been greatly reduced.

Rangers on the other hand do have the healing utility, but the healing ability suffers from the spirit drain as much as their other skills, the typical role for a ranger in a party is -damage-. And even with silly str/agi and haste the autoshots are not going to cut it, when using 2-3 specials drains your focus dry. The guardian line, while making rangers more resilient, still does not make them capable of tanking end-game instance mobs, even trash, without causing healer stress - esp. due to mystics needing to manage their focus more carefully now.

With that in mind, the ideal team setup becomes 'a healer, and enough champions to deal with whatever comes and interrupt everything that needs interrupting' and I don't think that is fair to the other classes ><

My suggestion would be to have a look at the focus cost of mage/ranger abilities and adjust them; alternatively additional itemization of regen-focused gear added to loot tables and crafting recipes to help alleviate the problem. Alternatively, increase damage done by skills to compensate for the fact that half the time you will be reduced to wanding/autoattacking.
Posted Image
Anzha(50 Mystic), Anezaki (50 Ranger, Anri (50 Magus)

#5 beloit551

beloit551

Patron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 02:32 PM

I haven't personally attempted to play a low lvl caster type since the change, however while the spirit drain combined with the instance changes actually I feel IMPROVED gameplay significantly as far as time needed to complete instances, I have noticed that my 50 ranger has been crippled by the spirit drain significantly. My 50 mystic can deal with it. ;)

Typically in long fights/worldbosses/etc. we parse damage for informative purposes and to help evaluate which skills are better use of focus, etc. Yesterday in doing the round of worldbosses and such I found that my ranger's DPS is about half of what it used to be due to this change - and I'm fairly stacked in +soul gear as much as is possible with existing equipment, even opting for a few cloth pieces to help with that when I'm not going to be taking damage. I must say that I found the DPS difference quite devastating. Having a look at other ranger abilities there isn't much that can be done to reduce focus cost of skills significantly enough to dent this let alone overcome it. While previously I was able to match or nearly match the DPS of an offensively spec'd champion, now I struggle to do half as much damage over any given period of time, as Champions relying on energy rather than focus are not affected by this change whatsoever - but still have the advantage of reduced mob health in instances so have in effect been made very powerful while other DPS classes (mages, rangers) relying on focus have been made seemingly obsolete.

Likewise, bringing my 50 mage to the empress fight I found that I could cast spells for about 10 seconds before my focus was drained dry (fully buffed with int buff, infusion, etc.) then had to fall back on wanding for 20 seconds waiting for it to refill.

I'm not saying that the change is BAD, but I am saying that it DRAMATICALLY changes class balance and usefulness of certain classes in group situations. Focus-dependent DPS classes don't bring enough alternative utility to the group to justify playing one currently when even a tank-spec'd champ can match their damage output.

Currently for most content a few elements are needed:

- someone to take the damage
- someone to heal the damage
- interrupt
- healing/buffs

Crowd control as such is mostly nonexistent in Alganon (not a complaint, merely an observation). There are no real reliable mezzes/stun abilities, the ones that do exist do not seem reliable enough for consistent dependable use. For the moment, the best way to deal with multiple mobs at once in an instance is to put a tank in front of each add.

Now, with the above, currently Champions shine as, regardless of spec, they can fill in the tank and/or damage roles (to a greater extent obviously depending on gear and/or ability point choice, but even a DPS champ can handle tanking of most adds esp. with the reduced mob hp now - they can kill it before it hurts them much). The only drawback to having multiple champs in a group is for powercleaving bosses as they must stand in melee range, but with decent equipment this becomes less of an issue.

Mystics obviously are needed as they bring the heals to the table; while heal oriented rangers can do an admirable job of this as well, they lack the buffs and 'group heal' utility. Mystics are also capable of 'decent' damage output in situations where significant healing isn't needed, ie trash mobs, when wand damage/dots can contribute to getting things dead. Spirit drain only really means that we have to watch it on bad pulls or difficult bosses but after running through all the Test of Faith last night and not having to chug a single focus potion, I'd say its manageable.

Mages and rangers, however, I feel have gotten the short end of the stick here. While mages do have a 30-min cooldown combat rez, the main thing that they are supposed to be bringing to the group is -damage-. They do have an interrupt capability but it is difficult to execute it in the time that the enemy skill bar is showing if they are already mid-cast of another spell, and also due to global cooldowns. I have found that paralyze and other cc like ability isn't very effective in instancing, which brings us back to damage. And with spirit drain, the damage has been greatly reduced.

Rangers on the other hand do have the healing utility, but the healing ability suffers from the spirit drain as much as their other skills, the typical role for a ranger in a party is -damage-. And even with silly str/agi and haste the autoshots are not going to cut it, when using 2-3 specials drains your focus dry. The guardian line, while making rangers more resilient, still does not make them capable of tanking end-game instance mobs, even trash, without causing healer stress - esp. due to mystics needing to manage their focus more carefully now.

With that in mind, the ideal team setup becomes 'a healer, and enough champions to deal with whatever comes and interrupt everything that needs interrupting' and I don't think that is fair to the other classes ><

My suggestion would be to have a look at the focus cost of mage/ranger abilities and adjust them; alternatively additional itemization of regen-focused gear added to loot tables and crafting recipes to help alleviate the problem. Alternatively, increase damage done by skills to compensate for the fact that half the time you will be reduced to wanding/autoattacking.

I just finially gave up on my low lvl mage now. The focus change made the char no fun at all. Not sure if this was intended but a game is supposed to be fun. Your change made the class not fun. Like the guys above my mystic is high enough lvl and not affecting him as much. Thanks for ruining my fun on my mage guys

#6 Padreic

Padreic

Lead CSGM / Spreader of Chaos

• QOL Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1369 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 07:17 AM

I just finially gave up on my low lvl mage now. The focus change made the char no fun at all. Not sure if this was intended but a game is supposed to be fun. Your change made the class not fun. Like the guys above my mystic is high enough lvl and not affecting him as much. Thanks for ruining my fun on my mage guys

Don't give up on any classes just yet. We're watching how things look, weighing feedback and making adjustments accordingly. I'm still convinced that even a low level Magus is quite playable, but I also very much see the points made above about group usefulness and a seeming attack nerf due to limited focus pools.
I'm currently drinking a Pepsi. Doesn't matter when you read this, it's most likely true.

#7 dewald

dewald

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 11:24 AM

Padreic...a low level magus is playable...just not fun to play!

I always play a caster of one sort or another. The only time I've ever been force to wand as a caster is for one of two reason...an extremely long fight or for aggro control. To be forced to use a wand for every mob does not seem to be an enjoyable experience.

#8 Anzha

Anzha

Crusader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 02:58 PM

After tonight's parse, pred spec ranger w/ epic weaponry and chugging focus pots every time it was possible managed to do about 25% more damage than the tank through the course of a Warfiend Karr run (minus Shorax since he broke >.>). This was even fighting 'dangerously' re: aggro. Have int/soul wherever possible w/ medium armor, for most part and soul on rings/trinkets/etc. but its still gone after 3-4 specials. So may need a bit o' adjusting. I used to be able to somewhat hold my own against dps champs (except for Bjorek who is a machine), but now champs dont suffer from focus drain affecting their dps output (with the exception of spellsword abilities but they have a lot of high damaging attacks available that do not concern focus at all) it seems impossible to compete.
Posted Image

#9 stroxuss

stroxuss

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 02:13 PM

I was wondering why this was added to the game. Is it because of the up coming PvP or was something broken? Or maybe someone thought that casters had it too easy. :no: In any case one thing the game doesn't need is to drive away the players it already has in the hope of attracting some other type of player to the game. I don't mind a hard to play game, but tedium does not equal hard and it sure as heck isn't fun. There has to be a better way of slowing down leveling if that is what you were trying to do (at least that is what it feels like you were after). Oh well...

#10 beloit551

beloit551

Patron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 02:59 PM

I was wondering why this was added to the game. Is it because of the up coming PvP or was something broken? Or maybe someone thought that casters had it too easy. :no: In any case one thing the game doesn't need is to drive away the players it already has in the hope of attracting some other type of player to the game. I don't mind a hard to play game, but tedium does not equal hard and it sure as heck isn't fun. There has to be a better way of slowing down leveling if that is what you were trying to do (at least that is what it feels like you were after). Oh well...

Ya they told me not to give up, but the last 4 levels felt more like a job then a game. They really need to fix this

#11 Fallen

Fallen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 03:20 PM

I've resorted to playing my reaver(I would normally have swapped to my cabalist) because my ranger is no longer fun to play. I was out of focus in 3 shots and couldn't heal myself and died :down: (this happened multiple times before I said enough is enough and swapped over to my reaver). I thought about playing my cabalist, but decided I was better off not playing it with the new changes.

Edited by Fallen, 07 November 2010 - 03:20 PM.

#12 Anzha

Anzha

Crusader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 11:58 PM

When the change was first proposed the reasons if I recall were cited as to enable the balancing of instances. This needed to be done; previously instances particularly instance bosses could take far more time than necessary to kill and there wasn't a lot of 'challenge' - the healers could spam heals and everyone else could spam dps and eventually whatever it is, would die.

Having healers with an unlimited focus pool made things a little trivial but despite being trivial, fights could drag on for quite some time - a good example of this was Gatekeeper Kuxx in Warfiend, whose attacks werent particularly dangerous but his 200k hp could take a good 15 mins of whacking him to get him dead, at least until you were at the point where you went after him with a full team full of epic'd out equipment. Either way it wasn't 'challenge' so much as 'tedium' - The same could be said of Stonebelly who, while not particularly 'hard' with the right team setup, could take forever to kill due to his damage reflecting ability - least hassle way to do it was have tanks beat it to death 90% of th etime which was time consuming.

To change this, with Spirit Drain, these same boss's HP has been reduced to a far more reasonable 60k-ish, with the addendum that now healers can't simply repeatedly spam the heal button and must instead show some restraint. At the same time, a large adjustment was made to Aggro so that attempting to spam dmg or heals ended up badly ;P

It is even more evident in Test of Faith, where previously the 'trash' mobs leading up to the boss could have 30-40k HP. It took forever. But once you established that your healer could outdamage whatever it did to your tank, it simply became a waiting game.

With the spirit drain + instance balancing, the instances are harder in some ways,but less time consuming to complete. So overall, I am in favor of these changes, as far as they relate to instance balance, however:

- 'Outdoor' encounters such as World Bosses have not had their HP adjusted. I feel that this is also 'good' so that the world bosses feel more 'epic' than their dungeon counterparts.

- Other 'outdoor' mobs, such as those you would kill questing and levelling up, have also not been adjusted. This puts a very big strain on the levelling processes for classes who are focus-dependant for damage or survival. To be completely honest, it affects mages and rangers far more than it affects mystics(cabalists): Mystics get more +soul on level ups, in addition, cloth armor has a lot more 'soul' and 'regen' type stats; unfortunately you don't get much of anything on armor stats-wise until you get into the level 20 range.

- My personal experience with a mage 'pre spirit drain' - I could easily run out of focus if I was attacked by more than 1 thing it was already a struggle, however on a mystic through the entire levelling process from 1 to 50 (pre changes) I had to drink exactly 1 focus potion, and that was soloing Darkmane.

I do not think that 'slowing down levelling' was the aim of this change, but rather an unfortunate side effect. It would seem a bit silly to 'slow down levelling' a month after adding 100ish quests that trivialized it, making it possible to level from 34-50 in hours not days, a process that used to involve at least a week or so of hard grind, or longer if you weren't into the repetitive killing of things.

In summary I would say -

For instance purposes, mystics are fine. The only adjustment I would even consider would be ones to 'offensive magic' spell cost so as to help in the levelling up a bit.

Rangers - need focus cost reduced across the board by about 50% for all skills, or a serious re-itemization of medium armor to include SOUL: Currently, there are 1 or 2 pieces of ToF medium that add soul but that is it, unless you were to wear green valor/vigilance pieces. Beefing up my 'caster-ish' stats with carefully selected medium armor mixed with bits of light armor, I can get a 4500ish focus pool and about 110 soul on my ranger. This effectively halves my attack power in order to gain the ability to attack continuously for want of focus. And I can empty it in about 10 seconds. It almost seems like it would be better to ignore soul completely, put on all the str/agi I can find, and merely autoshoot for higher DPS and forget that I have such things as 'skills' except when stance happens to give me a bit of focus back. Most fights in instances are as follows : I do stuff for the first 30 sec of the fight, then I autoshoot and tab to another window for 5 mins.

I would imagine mages have the same difficulty, I've only brought mine to a handful of fights since the changes, and casting 4-5 bolts completely ran my focus dry so seemed half the time I was stood there wanding. Well my mystic's got the same wand and brings a lot more to the team so seemed better ;P

I would suggest:

- Start 'Spirit Drain' at level 20 or even 25, once enough equippable gear exists to let players counter it to some extent with equipment choice.

- Ranger ability focus cost reduction (or damage increase)

- Mage ability focus cost reduction (or damage increase)

From running through all ToF available and warfiend repeatedly over the last week or so, I've found that while mages/rangers *can* do more DPS than the tank over extended periods, that most of the time the tank was right on par or on occasion, ahead in DPS, with dps classes!

Example of typical warfiend run:

Pred Ranger (with rampage) : 323,093 damage
Tank : 286,926 damage <- protection spec w/ shield
Champion : 194,178 damage (less epic gear than above champion)
Blood Ranger : 138,373 damage
Mystic : 63,381 damage

If I remove the Beastkeeper Lox fight from the above damage log, the Tank is first in DPS. And this is eating food between fights and chugging focus pots. Running with an epic'd out mage through ToF shows similar results, the mage does still out DPS the tank, but not by much. Partially due to spirit drain and partially due to the changes to aggro which have added another element of challenge to DPS classes ;)

Bottom line is, champions were already pretty good DPS, and being mostly unaffected by this change as far as their own output of damage due to using a different energy pool, now they are ridiculous :P

Prior to spirit drain, other DPS classes already couldn't out damage dps-spec champion - not even close. With spirit drain, the gap has become even wider.
Posted Image

#13 Scoffer

Scoffer

Prophet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 01:53 AM

I believe it was added as a balancing issue. Before the changes most of the instance mobs had a ridiculous amount of health and as such, would take 20 mins to kill a single boss. With the changes they were able to reduce the hps of instance mobs while still making it a challenge.

My mage before the changes would never run out of mana. Yes, i do mean never. By the time I had waited for it to actually cast my spell I was back to full due to the regen.
Posted Image
Was not my fault!

#14 zerof

zerof

Prophet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 04:54 AM

Wouldn't a quick fix is to have spirit drain starts at 60% (or something even lower) instead of 75%? Otherwise, we might have to wait some time before seeing a new round of balances for skills and world mobs.

#15 dewald

dewald

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 05:56 AM

I don;t see that as making the Magus either fun or competitive. In my opinion, the Magus was already semi-broken AT LOWER LEVELS before the patch. The best way to level a Magus was to dual box or have a leveling partner.

With the changes, leveling a Magus is a slow, tedious and is often spent running back to retrieve your body. I've played mages in several MMOs and have almost always enjoyed the experience. They are normally a balance between crazy DPS and very little armor. They kill quickly, but die fast when in engaged in melee range.

Here they kill slowly and die fast. Not a combination that makes you want to play them. Combined with the lack of Crowd Control, a magus is a dying breed in this game. Please fix the magus quickly!

#16 beloit551

beloit551

Patron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 06:40 AM

I don;t see that as making the Magus either fun or competitive. In my opinion, the Magus was already semi-broken AT LOWER LEVELS before the patch. The best way to level a Magus was to dual box or have a leveling partner.

With the changes, leveling a Magus is a slow, tedious and is often spent running back to retrieve your body. I've played mages in several MMOs and have almost always enjoyed the experience. They are normally a balance between crazy DPS and very little armor. They kill quickly, but die fast when in engaged in melee range.

Here they kill slowly and die fast. Not a combination that makes you want to play them. Combined with the lack of Crowd Control, a magus is a dying breed in this game. Please fix the magus quickly!

ya its showing with the amount of mages im seeing when im on. Usually theirs like 10 on and if im not on mine there are none on at all. The change made this class just crazy and unplayable at least fun wise. Got mine to 12 and just cant seem to want to play it more now :( Throw us a bone guys and fix this mess please

#17 Synvul

Synvul

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 04:33 PM

I started with a Ranger but stopped and started playing a Mage since it seemed like I say the other classes but not Mage most times I was playing. I know that it is slow and long and difficult to play as I die so quickly if taking damage at same time I start dealing it (against other range or a melee that pops up on me). I can take most non-named creatures 1on1 of equal level +1 though if is on top of me from start then will run out of focus and hope I get in the hits I need. I noticed the change on my Ranger (low level) as was just after I started and my heals is what I used my focus for and would run out but recharge in time before I died but after change it was not necessary as likely.

I probably just feel that I am going to have to grind levels and be higher level than my quest objectives to be capable of going solo. I like the game but it gets tiring having so many deaths since if I get 2 then have to hope for enough range to finish 1 before they get to me and then be ready to use a focus pot if I run out before I finish the 2nd one. I am probably just playing wrong though.

#18 zerof

zerof

Prophet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 08:32 AM

I started with a Ranger but stopped and started playing a Mage since it seemed like I say the other classes but not Mage most times I was playing. I know that it is slow and long and difficult to play as I die so quickly if taking damage at same time I start dealing it (against other range or a melee that pops up on me). I can take most non-named creatures 1on1 of equal level +1 though if is on top of me from start then will run out of focus and hope I get in the hits I need. I noticed the change on my Ranger (low level) as was just after I started and my heals is what I used my focus for and would run out but recharge in time before I died but after change it was not necessary as likely.

I probably just feel that I am going to have to grind levels and be higher level than my quest objectives to be capable of going solo. I like the game but it gets tiring having so many deaths since if I get 2 then have to hope for enough range to finish 1 before they get to me and then be ready to use a focus pot if I run out before I finish the 2nd one. I am probably just playing wrong though.

Do we have any sense at which level characters will have access to proper gears to offset the effect of spirit drain? For new players, another related problem is the cost of repairs. Once a character pass level 10 (correct me if I am wrong on the level), there is equipment degradation with deaths. In the past, one can level pretty quickly and upgrade gears while not having too many deaths. With spirit drain, this might not be the case any more. Maybe players currently with low level characters can add their experience on this.

#19 Anzha

Anzha

Crusader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 10:35 AM

Do we have any sense at which level characters will have access to proper gears to offset the effect of spirit drain? For new players, another related problem is the cost of repairs. Once a character pass level 10 (correct me if I am wrong on the level), there is equipment degradation with deaths. In the past, one can level pretty quickly and upgrade gears while not having too many deaths. With spirit drain, this might not be the case any more. Maybe players currently with low level characters can add their experience on this.

Having levelled everything (pre spirit drain), I found repair cost to be a nonexistent issue when playing a mystic or ranger, somewhat of an issue on a champion and a very big problem on a mage. I'm guessing that the mage problem is going to be even worse now.

From levels 10-20, 90% of your equipment comes from quest rewards as the bits that can be crafted and/or dropped from instances are still somewhat limited at those levels, and you don't get a lot of dropped 'green' gear until you start killing high teens/low 20s mobs. Of low level instance/crafted gear very little of it adds 'soul' in medium or light, though there is the odd piece here and there. When levelling up my ranger (pre spirit drain, even) I found that getting 'vigilance' greens (agi/soul) was quite helpful, but you can't start getting a 'decent' amount of stats on gear until level 30, when you can start using stuff dropped by the level 35-36 raptors which is where you start getting things that add 5/5 or 6/6 to two stats or +10 to a single stat.

By level 30 enough crafted equipment exists, as well as drops from the selection of lvl 20 instances (bone dens, and the 2 digs) as well as Lusha'ton (assuming you have someone to run them with and are not solo) to be able to 'customize' for stats that you actually want. Also by this point if you've kept up with quests you should have a good assortment of mix and matchable quest rewards to fill in all gaps.

I'm not sure what would be more trouble, though - tweaking mage/ranger and healer(offensive) skills, or re-itemizing crafting and existing gear to help offset the problem.

Another idea could be a 'study' that reduces focus cost of skills by 5/10/15/20/25% that could be unlocked after having tiers of something else and do the 1d/3d/5d/14d/35d type format to require a couple months to complete. A study does exist for focus regen so this isn't too much of a stretch. Of course, something taking that long probably wouldn't do much for low lvl chars but it would help offset the high lvl instancing dps discrepency.
Posted Image

#20 Chibber

Chibber

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 02:55 AM

This Spirit Drain was much discussed and kinda unwanted sinse it was first announced.I've read many comments about lvl 50's and instances etc managing ok with tactics an w/e,fair enough makes the game a little more of a challenge.

But....

It's not all lvl 50's new people coming to the game are gonna get hit hard by this drain and these are the ones who are needed most new blood to lose them to this stupid idea is madness,<cast> <cast> oh no no mana i'll use wand oh no crap dmg too l8 i'm dead is kinda how mages are at low lvl now.

rangers well yeah kinda the same but u do live a bit longer thx to slightly better armour.

Mystics ......no comment.

So all in all from my point of view even though i have a lvl 50 mage an a couple of lower lvl toons i think Drain wasn't well thought out,it was added but no compensation to it was,mobs still hit the same do same dmg.Wands are still useless dmg to mobs y not increase what they will actually do??

yeah bit of a rant but to encourage an influx of new players u need to give them a chance to enjoy the game not wander into a dead grindfest.

My tuppence worth anyway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users