#1 Whyspir

Whyspir

Crusader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida Baby!

Posted 24 October 2010 - 03:08 AM

I Was wondering if anyone can add input on the abilities which best suite a tank?
tried to use the myalganon to look up Zatar but seems it doesnt work for me... wont show what abilities are trained or how much in each.
"I thought I wanted a career, turns out I just wanted pay checks."
"Behind every successful man is his woman. Behind the fall of a successful man is usually another woman."

#2 Scoffer

Scoffer

Prophet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 01:15 PM

I Was wondering if anyone can add input on the abilities which best suite a tank?
tried to use the myalganon to look up Zatar but seems it doesnt work for me... wont show what abilities are trained or how much in each.

Soon fix that!

I went pure "tank" so my dps suffers but I rarely get hurt.

Current build is as follows:

5 points in commanding shouts as the rugged yell is a great boost. This is the only points I have spent in any other tree (weaponry) as the rest all went into protection.

Protection
Tier 1
5 points in improved parry - means I take less damage.
5 Points in Rigorous Training - 5% str
5 Points in Stoutness - procs every 15 seconds to give +15% block chance for 8 seconds. Means you get hit less ;)

Tier 2
5 Points in Wired Reflexes - increased dodge by 10% of your str means getting hit less

5 Points in Defensive Offensive - 5% damage increase when using a shield.

Tier 3
2 Points in Improved Taunt - additional 2 seconds on taunt

Tier 4
5 Points Wicked cleave - more damge to cleave / power cleave and increased threat to both.

2 Points reinforced Shield - moar block, moar!

Tier 5
1 Point to gain Epicentre - must for multiple mobs as each hit will generate threat on them.

4 Points in Magnitude - for more damage on Epicentre

Tier 6
5 Points in Mountainous Fortitude - Endurance is your friend!

Tier 7
1 Point to gain Shield Wall.

The shield wall even with its long cool down isn't used that often. That being said its vital on any ToF stuff to let your healers catch up with the healing you will need while tanking in those. Its handy to blast it as soon as the boss fight starts and let everyone get situated before you start taking 4k damage a hit ;)
Posted Image
Was not my fault!

#3 Padreic

Padreic

Lead CSGM / Spreader of Chaos

• QOL Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1370 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 08:33 AM

Soon fix that!

Done and done! You should find MyAlganon's character pages to accurately display character Abilities now.
I'm currently drinking a Pepsi. Doesn't matter when you read this, it's most likely true.

#4 Whyspir

Whyspir

Crusader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 02:04 PM

:woot: Wow Thank you Scoffer,
Thanks for taking the time to right that all up.
Excellent explanations also.. I cant even think of any questions.

Figures the web guy fixes myalganon after you went through all the work :ninja:

And Thanks Padre for crackin the whip! :whistling:
"Behind every successful man is his woman. Behind the fall of a successful man is usually another woman."

#5 Whyspir

Whyspir

Crusader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 02:32 PM

OK I Lied :yes:
Found a question...How was it that you only trained 2 points in tier 3 and were able to move on to tier 4?

#6 Parilis

Parilis

CSGM

• QOL Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 03:55 PM

You don't need 5 points in one tier to move to the next. You do however need 5 points somewhere in the tree to access the next tier (5 points to access tier 2, 10 points total to access tier 3, 15 points total to access tier 4, etc.)

As a side note, tanking specs can differ for different players depending on your playstyle and who you group with. If your healer has issues keeping you alive, more points in defensive stats would be better. If your healer can easily keep you alive for days, then you may want to get more damage oriented abilities to help the DPS kill targets quicker. There's no set in stone "best" spec.

#7 Scoffer

Scoffer

Prophet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 04:07 AM

What Parilis said ;)

As a side note my wife plays the healer so she is usually sat next to me when we do the big stuff. She can tell me easily if I need to hit shield wall or chug a potion.

My main build (for me anyway) was centred around "not getting hurt" and works out quite well for me and how I play. I don't really kill anything quickly but I can take a fair bit of beatings ;P

My HP are close to 6k with the healer buffs and with 14% parry, 13% dodge and 10% dodge I do pretty well for myself on the boss fights.
Posted Image
Was not my fault!

#8 Whyspir

Whyspir

Crusader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 02:47 PM

Well I gave it ago lastnight..
Seems that build doesnt work well for me.
Before- I was all Weapon traited and I tested it on the Gnolls in gnollclash.(ya know those elite gnolls your supposed to kill in your late 30's) :whistling:
I could kill a gnoll and have 1/2- 3/4 my hp left after fight using power stance.
After I respec to this build I had to drink a health potion to keep from dieing and after the gnoll was dead I was left with 1/4 hp.
I tried in defence - power and balanced still no luck.
Could be my crappy gear or studies(or my crappy play style)...But to me I feel I was better in the all out power and weapon build.
My wife is also bringing up a healer so I was looking to make it easier on her.
You can see me as Nophere (whyspirs is just my mad Blaster)
Any and all pointers are welcome.

#9 Scoffer

Scoffer

Prophet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 02:32 AM

looks like gear could be a big factor.

I was basically just stacking as much end as I could get my hands on and only going for str if I couldn't find end.

Currently I run with a full dawning set and it makes a huge difference.

about the only thing I could suggest is either go back to a str spec and get it killed faster or try piling on the endurance as much as you can.

As parilis said, this build suites my playstyle but may not suite others.
Posted Image
Was not my fault!

#10 BestAwesome

BestAwesome

Prophet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 10:20 PM

I highly suggest taking Shield Storm. Big threat/aggro feedback when paired with Stoutness and Shield Wall (massive damage from Shield Wall BTW)

#11 az-az

az-az

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 12:41 AM

I do not receive abilitypoints. Somebody would be able to help, that why?

#12 Dror

Dror

Patron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 02:08 PM

I do not receive abilitypoints. Somebody would be able to help, that why?

Unless you buy the extra 10 ability points you will not receive any until you reach level 10.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users