• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 need4speed8190

need4speed8190

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 07:45 PM

I really want to come back to this game..but the way the game performs on my system is absolutely unbearable. I know my rig is more than capable of running this game..I can run crysis and far cry 2 on max and at max rez.

AMD Phenom X4 9550 2.2Ghz
6 Gigs DDR2
ATI 4870 512MB GDDR5

even with everything on low I was only getting around 10 fps =\
and yes..all of my drivers are updated =p

I was just wanting to know if there was anymore work done to the game to make it run smoother or not =]

thanks everyone!!

#2 Padreic

Padreic

Lead CSGM / Spreader of Chaos

• QOL Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1364 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 07:15 AM

Yes, there's work being done to allow for smoother gameplay. :) But our core engine is still the same, and we will still have the same minimum system requirements, which your CPU it technically a tad under. So I don't think network improvements will do a whole lot for the CPU-side of framerate issues. But it will help to some degree with everything else.
I'm currently drinking a Pepsi. Doesn't matter when you read this, it's most likely true.

#3 need4speed8190

need4speed8190

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 07:27 AM

Yes, there's work being done to allow for smoother gameplay. :) But our core engine is still the same, and we will still have the same minimum system requirements, which your CPU it technically a tad under. So I don't think network improvements will do a whole lot for the CPU-side of framerate issues. But it will help to some degree with everything else.

with all do respect, how is my rig technically under the minimum specs? like I said..I can run way more demanding games.
BUT in all fairnes..I know it probably isnt now lol..my ati card bit the dust last night..I have a Nvidia 9600GT OC Edition 512mb DDR3 now. Its an older gfx card I use to use..but it still plays GTA 4 on medium and high settings =p

but from what I have heard..most games seem to run better on Nvidia cards ?? so hopefully, even though the new card I put in is technically a "lesser" card than my old ATI..it might run the game better =p

anyways, thanks for the reply!

*EDIT*
I apologize, I never noticed that it was recommended to have a 3Ghz Dual OR QUAD core. So, I guess my 2.2Ghz Quad is right in the middle xD

*EDIT 2*
ok, I had an idea..when I used to Play Allods Online, my rig chugged at times also. But in one the recent updates, they added an option to the Video Options called CPU load.
It had 2 option..Low and Regular.
When you had it set to regular, it divided the work load up between the gfx card and the cpu.
but when I had it on Low Load, the game ran A LOT smoother (i'm talking almost a 20fps increase!! =] ) because my higher end gfx card was doing alot more of the work.

Maybe if you guys could implement something like this, maybe it would help a lot more players too. Just an idea! =]

Edited by need4speed8190, 04 October 2010 - 07:35 AM.

#4 BVRBandit

BVRBandit

QOL Staff

• Administrators
  • 308 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 08:44 AM

Maybe if you guys could implement something like this, maybe it would help a lot more players too. Just an idea! =]

Sorry, we have no plans to do that. All games use different engines, rendering techniques etc. So just because something works for one game, doesn't mean that it will for another.
Game developers are just human beings who happen to make games for a living. If you want to hold us up to higher standards of conduct, then go ahead...but don't be surprised if we don't uphold them.

#5 need4speed8190

need4speed8190

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 10:30 AM

wow, thanks for even just not considering it. way to make the players feel like their voices are being heard ???

if this how this game is ran, I want no part of it. just to come out and answer my suggestion the way to you, at least to me, comes off very rude.

so long alganon

Edited by need4speed8190, 05 October 2010 - 10:30 AM.

#6 Scoffer

Scoffer

Prophet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 10:51 AM

wow, thanks for even just not considering it. way to make the players feel like their voices are being heard ???

if this how this game is ran, I want no part of it. just to come out and answer my suggestion the way to you, at least to me, comes off very rude.

so long alganon

hrm..no offence but he simply told you that they had no plans for it. He also apologized..... cant really see why your getting all bent out of shape for an honest answer
Posted Image
Was not my fault!

#7 Anzha

Anzha

Crusader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 10:55 AM

I didn't see anyone being rude to you, just telling you that there are no plans to implement your suggestion and that the reason you may not experience difficulty on other games is due to a variety of factors.

Your PC isn't good enough to run the game according to the specs posted on the game's website. Somehow you've made this the game's fault and when the world doesn't stop and immediately revolve around you, you have what appears to be, a hissy fit and start going after the staff.
Posted Image
Anzha(50 Mystic), Anezaki (50 Ranger, Anri (50 Magus)

#8 perjxx

perjxx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 12:09 PM

i have Dual core 2.7ghz and i run this game on high settings fine, don't know whats wrong really. Sometimes people are just surprise about abrupt responses, I like straight up answers and not two-faced ones.

#9 RipperMcGee

RipperMcGee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 12:30 PM

I really want to come back to this game..but the way the game performs on my system is absolutely unbearable. I know my rig is more than capable of running this game..I can run crysis and far cry 2 on max and at max rez.

AMD Phenom X4 9550 2.2Ghz
6 Gigs DDR2
ATI 4870 512MB GDDR5

even with everything on low I was only getting around 10 fps =\
and yes..all of my drivers are updated =p

I was just wanting to know if there was anymore work done to the game to make it run smoother or not =]

thanks everyone!!

Please define "unbearable"? I play on an almost 4-year old laptop and have what I consider to be acceptable performance. My specs are:

• Core2 Duo 2.16 GHz
  • NVidia 7900 GO GS 7900 256MB
  • 7200 RPM HD
  • 2GB 667 MHz RAM
Your system has a lower total CPU speed (2.2 GHz) than what is minimally recommended (2.4). Please note, a 2.2 GHz Quad Core is just that - a 2.2 GHz processor. It's not four cores running @ 2.2 GHz/core for a total of 8.8 GHz! That being said, your system looks like it should be more than capable of running Alganon, even with a lower total CPU speed. This makes me question a few of things:

Alganon:

• Multi-core support: Does Alganon actively use multiple-cores?
  • CPU Load - since your memory and graphics card far exceed the minimum requirements, it seems like the game relies very heavily on the CPU. Many gamers focus on memory and their graphics cards as being the primary bottlenecks for performance issues, but is that necessarily the case with Alganon?
  • Specific CPU issues - is there a problem between the game and this specific CPU or family of CPUs?

You:

• System updates - have you checked for BIOS or Chipset updates for your system?

Also, I didn't see anything rude in the official replies you received. You asked a question and were given an answer. No more, no less.
~Ripper

#10 BVRBandit

BVRBandit

QOL Staff

• Administrators
  • 308 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 02:18 PM

so long alganon

/me thinking what to type

OK, got nuthin'. I'm, I'm speechless.
Game developers are just human beings who happen to make games for a living. If you want to hold us up to higher standards of conduct, then go ahead...but don't be surprised if we don't uphold them.

#11 Amjoco

Amjoco

Patron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationLayton, Utah

Posted 05 October 2010 - 03:02 PM

I play on my home computer that beats the minimal requirements by quite a bit but also use a laptop that is slightly below requirements and have no problems playing. I think you may just have some driver issues.

#12 Omali

Omali

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 11:00 AM

Mr. Smart I demand Alganon on the iPad, if my demands are not met there will be angry letters. I have join date elitism on you.

Posted from an iPad.

#13 bcountry76

bcountry76

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 06:30 PM

lol @ playing real games on an iPad. It would crash trying to load pong!

#14 need4speed8190

need4speed8190

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 07:58 PM

whoa whoa whoa!

i would just like to take a second to apologize to everyone involved on this topic. I didnt make this thread, a friend of mine did. he didnt know google chrome automatically signs me into the forums xD he and I both play the game, and my pc runs it ok =p he doesnt have internet at his house right now, so is checks the forums on my machine when he comes over.

he just forgot to log me out and log into his account.

again, no hard feelings guys =]
just a misunderstanding!

#15 Fallen

Fallen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 08:36 PM

Just found this thread I've been having performance issues as well (though not quite as bad as op see: http://www.alganon.c...on-good-system/ for details )

So a quad core running at 2.2 GHz is under the minimum requirements? That's kind of hard to believe unless the engine is only capable of running on a single core.

Could someone please shed some light on this and possibly respond to my thread as well? (my intent is not to hijack this thread but it seems our problems are possibly related as our hardware is similar) Thanks :smile:

Edit:

Please note, a 2.2 GHz Quad Core is just that - a 2.2 GHz processor. It's not four cores running @ 2.2 GHz/core for a total of 8.8 GHz!

Actually it is 4 cores running @ 2.2 GHz/core for a total of 8.8 GHz. For more information please take a look at http://en.wikipedia....-core_processor

Edited by Fallen, 10 October 2010 - 08:43 PM.

#16 RipperMcGee

RipperMcGee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 09:43 PM

Actually it is 4 cores running @ 2.2 GHz/core for a total of 8.8 GHz. For more information please take a look at http://en.wikipedia....-core_processor

Four cores, yes. Each running individually at 2.2 GHz, no. You certainly aren't getting 8.8 GHz from it. Nowhere in the article does it state that. A Quad Core 2.2 GHz process is just that - a 2.2 GHz processor with four cores. The primary benefit of a multi-core processor is that it can process multiple threads at once.

Regardless, the real question is whether or not Alganon takes advantage of multiple cores. Many games don't.
~Ripper

#17 BVRBandit

BVRBandit

QOL Staff

• Administrators
  • 308 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 06:35 AM

Regardless, the real question is whether or not Alganon takes advantage of multiple cores. Many games don't.

AFAIK, it doesn't.

#18 Padreic

Padreic

Lead CSGM / Spreader of Chaos

• QOL Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1364 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 07:07 AM

AFAIK, it doesn't.

You're correct. A single core.
I'm currently drinking a Pepsi. Doesn't matter when you read this, it's most likely true.

#19 RipperMcGee

RipperMcGee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 07:27 AM

You're correct. A single core.

Thanks. This confirms why the CPU is a bottleneck for the OP. Many gamers assume their multi-core CPU means they'll get better performance than they would from a higher clock speed single-core CPU. If their games were optimized for multiple cores, that would be the case, but many (probably most) games aren't.

Edited by RipperMcGee, 11 October 2010 - 07:29 AM.

~Ripper

#20 Trebori

Trebori

Patron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 01:35 PM

A 2.2g is a 2.2g regardless of how many cores it has for gaming.

I just spent a whopping $40 on a Duo core 3.0g. I didn't buy it for its multi core, I bought it for it's 3.0g. In the gaming world how many cores you have is pretty much irrelevant. A single core 3.0g will stomp the crap out of a Quad core 2.2g anyday of the week for gaming. For multi-tasking the cores will help to some extent. A quad core 2.2g does NOT give you 8.8g.I think that most people believe the myth that CPU size X the number of cores gives you your overall CPU size. It simply doesn't work that way.

Most games , probably 90% or better don't care about cores. You might find an occasional game where it will make a difference. But, I have yet to find one.

Bottom line: For gaming it is all about CPU speed/size and not how many cores you have.

Edited by Trebori, 11 October 2010 - 01:52 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users