13 replies to this topic

#1 beloit551

beloit551

Patron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 05:27 AM

Ok decided to dust off my soldier and try and level it some. It's level 15 and protection spec. Well anyway is it normal to take so much damage that you can hardly live though a fight and a half? got over 600 health and after a normal fight im down to like 200 or lower every time. Just curios if im doing something wrong or should i just go the dps tree and level that way.

#2 Trebori

Trebori

Patron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 11:49 AM

What gear are you wearing? If you are using mainly quest gear or drop gear then that might cause you some problems. What stance are you in? what weapons do you use? what is your protection at?

I have a 31 Champ that is weaponry spec. and have had no problem with 2 mobs at once. But, he is pretty much decked out in crafted gear.

Without the ability to heal yourself via spell it is natural to get beat down some. You can't simply go after mobs constantly and not expect to take damage.Champs are a tanking/melee class not a God class. Use food you buy or craft ( novice crafting) in between fights to regen. If you don't do a tradeskill to plug any holes you may have in your gear. Then yes, you can expect a butt whooping on a regular basis.

Does it take quite a while to kill a mob? Are your weapon and defense skills caught up to your level? Blasting thru levels via quest and not giving weapon and defense skills a chance to climb will definately hurt you.

I can take a look at your gear if you want and maybe give you some upgrades. I have all but 2 tradeskills maxxed at 250 and I will have those finished by the weekend.

I will be on my Champ Whistler for the rest of the week more than likely.

*edit*
It also depends on what you are fighting, not all mobs are created equal.And you do keep "Rugged Yell" your attack power buff up at all times while fighting correct?

Edited by Trebori, 28 September 2010 - 12:09 PM.

#3 beloit551

beloit551

Patron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 12:07 AM

What gear are you wearing? If you are using mainly quest gear or drop gear then that might cause you some problems. What stance are you in? what weapons do you use? what is your protection at?

I have a 31 Champ that is weaponry spec. and have had no problem with 2 mobs at once. But, he is pretty much decked out in crafted gear.

Without the ability to heal yourself via spell it is natural to get beat down some. You can't simply go after mobs constantly and not expect to take damage.Champs are a tanking/melee class not a God class. Use food you buy or craft ( novice crafting) in between fights to regen. If you don't do a tradeskill to plug any holes you may have in your gear. Then yes, you can expect a butt whooping on a regular basis.

Does it take quite a while to kill a mob? Are your weapon and defense skills caught up to your level? Blasting thru levels via quest and not giving weapon and defense skills a chance to climb will definately hurt you.

I can take a look at your gear if you want and maybe give you some upgrades. I have all but 2 tradeskills maxxed at 250 and I will have those finished by the weekend.

I will be on my Champ Whistler for the rest of the week more than likely.

*edit*
It also depends on what you are fighting, not all mobs are created equal.And you do keep "Rugged Yell" your attack power buff up at all times while fighting correct?

Well decided to put champ back to bed and try out a ranger instead. Maybe the hand to hand just isnt for me. Thanks for the info and maybe 1 of these days ill try the champ out again.

#4 Balamar

Balamar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 12:30 PM

Thanks Trebori for your insight. I thought trying to level/solo a soldier would be folly still in this game, but it sounds as though that may no longer be true. I too am going to try to keep him decked out in crafted gear. I will try the weapon line as well. Was going to do protection but it sounds like that is not the way to go.

#5 Springerfauster

Springerfauster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 09:00 PM

Ok decided to dust off my soldier and try and level it some. It's level 15 and protection spec. Well anyway is it normal to take so much damage that you can hardly live though a fight and a half? got over 600 health and after a normal fight im down to like 200 or lower every time. Just curios if im doing something wrong or should i just go the dps tree and level that way.

I agree with you man, the Soldier/warrior type class is about as resilient as a Combat Rogue from WoW. Pretty aweful and utter fail with this class as far as being able to take damage. Pretty weak on dealing out damage unless you speck Spellsword which I think is one of the coolest things with this class of basically having a warrior that can deal out magical damage (just like in the Elder Scrolls games but now MMORPG). In my opinion, they need to seriously tweak this class so that it can take more damage and truly be a "tank" class. I can't imagine the horrible damage other classes wearing weaker armor are taking.

It definitely means you have to be very smart and careful in planning your attacks. You can't just go in "balls deep" to an engagement and expect to tank everything and win a long drawn-out tank fight. Nope, not at all. Instead, you have to USE YER BRAINS. Despite using the old noggin', I still think this class needs better damage-taking support. On the other hand, if the stats you have to protect you really are working, then it just means the damage creatures deal out would need to be lessed.

ALSO, keep in mind, the idea of a "tank" is used in the context of a raiding/group fighting. Any "tank" in a party is always in need of HEALZ and and buffs and other things. You DO have the abilities for these things, but they are not practical to use if you are soloing and not in a group with a healer, etc., in the game.

#6 chukk

chukk

Patron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 12:44 AM

Well i think one of the major problems in this game, which makes the tank useless is the fact that you can barely get above 50% physical reduction.

It might sounds alot, but it's still insane dmg incoming there and to make matters alot worse, the majority of the incoming high damage is of elemental nature which surpasses those 50% physical resistance you have but instead hits you on your 10% resistances.

Another thing that is quite broken with the class is, that no matter if warrior try to go for dps or tank build, they'll always end up at about 40 - 50% physical resistance and dish out insane amounts of damage (yea even tanks do.)

#7 maniacal1

maniacal1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 06:29 AM

Interesting that the question I had was addressed in the first topic on the board. I, too, decided a tank class seemed fun, as it's what I typically roll on games. However immediately I noticed some very disturbing things...first, armor is useless, as everything attacks you with essence or elemental dmg except beasts. Plus the aggro radius on these guys is insane...they aggro, run away, then fire at you from afar while you try to dps down the first mob. I die way too much, even for a heal-less tank.

Secondly, mitigation and avoidance stats are horrible, at least at low level. I'm going full sword'n'board, lvl 14 and mostly in bronze crafted gear with a 44% armor value and my block, dodge, and parry are just laughable. I think I see them proc maybe once every three fights, even using my shield slam for the block buff. I run defensive stance, and alternate between the two blessings depending on whether I think I need the extra 2% block or the attack speed.

So far, I think going a balls-out dps would be the way to go. At least then maybe I could dps a mob down before it tore through my paper tank.

#8 Issy

Issy

Crusader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • LocationSomeplace in Alganon

Posted 15 February 2011 - 07:17 AM

for all the "paper tank" comments I have seen recently. I'm amazed that the population of reavers and champions keep increasing.

If caster mobs are to tough for you go find a mob you can kill. Work on your essence resistance and the other resists. Casters might be a little tough for a tank but least it makes the fight more challenging.

#9 chukk

chukk

Patron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 02:34 AM

for all the "paper tank" comments I have seen recently. I'm amazed that the population of reavers and champions keep increasing.

If caster mobs are to tough for you go find a mob you can kill. Work on your essence resistance and the other resists. Casters might be a little tough for a tank but least it makes the fight more challenging.

Yea Issy, reaver pop is increasing but i doubt anyone will really roll tank in the end ... you can "tank" (as in kite) bosses perfectly fine with Rangers, there's no need for Tanks (especially since tanks can't be healed due to insane damage incoming from bosses).

Not sure a full tank can get his Block/Dodge/Parry, but on my level 50 guy i've got less than 10% on each of them even with defensinve stances/blessings.
Without abilities tho, since i figured going DPS would be alot more usefull ... our Ranger kite's pretty much anything so all we need is to focus down targets asap and for those Caster bosses that actually shoot at you ... who cares what you tank em with ... all you need is more than 2k or 3k hp (to make up for the random lagspikes).

#10 zerof

zerof

Prophet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 09:26 AM

Yea Issy, reaver pop is increasing but i doubt anyone will really roll tank in the end ... you can "tank" (as in kite) bosses perfectly fine with Rangers, there's no need for Tanks (especially since tanks can't be healed due to insane damage incoming from bosses).

Not sure a full tank can get his Block/Dodge/Parry, but on my level 50 guy i've got less than 10% on each of them even with defensinve stances/blessings.
Without abilities tho, since i figured going DPS would be alot more usefull ... our Ranger kite's pretty much anything so all we need is to focus down targets asap and for those Caster bosses that actually shoot at you ... who cares what you tank em with ... all you need is more than 2k or 3k hp (to make up for the random lagspikes).

Based on my experience, one area where you definitely need a tank with sizable HP is fighting some of the TOS bosses. Otherwise, you would need more healers in the party. Well...maybe you guys have super healers! :yes:

Regarding mitigation, I have seen dodge,parry,block totaling as high as 47% on a level 50 tank.

#11 chukk

chukk

Patron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 10:59 AM

Based on my experience, one area where you definitely need a tank with sizable HP is fighting some of the TOS bosses. Otherwise, you would need more healers in the party. Well...maybe you guys have super healers! :yes:

Regarding mitigation, I have seen dodge,parry,block totaling as high as 47% on a level 50 tank.

I rly wonder how he got up there ... even when i tried to go Tank build, i didnt make it past 10% on mine ... must be doing something terribly wrong i guess ...

(unless your example is situational and lasts for 10 seconds every 3 minutes, or maybe all 3 added up ... which would also get me to almost 30% :D ... or he's just got TONS of agi who knows/cares)

#12 Heath

Heath

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationOklahoma City, US

Posted 22 April 2011 - 10:40 PM

I have a lvl 34 Champ Weaponry spec and he does pretty well although even with great gear and high Protection stat items, he does take a LOT of damage still which does need to be fixed, in my opinion. No matter what better gear I get he still takes on a ton of damage even from melee mobs. It seems like protection rating does nothing in this game.

#13 zerof

zerof

Prophet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 06:51 AM

I have a lvl 34 Champ Weaponry spec and he does pretty well although even with great gear and high Protection stat items, he does take a LOT of damage still which does need to be fixed, in my opinion. No matter what better gear I get he still takes on a ton of damage even from melee mobs. It seems like protection rating does nothing in this game.

You can review the combat log and see how much damage per attack, if any, was mitigated.

Edited by zerof, 23 April 2011 - 06:51 AM.

#14 BestAwesome

BestAwesome

Prophet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 05:24 PM

champions and Reavers are the quintessential warriors in the game, meaning they can really eat up those physical attacks but against magic they just get fried. When you're fighting a caster try using a two-hand weapon instead of a sword and board. sure u will feel naked without the shield but the caster doesnt do any physical damage so u dont have worry about having to have a shield on

and i think having just 50% physical resistance is too much to begin with in a game i think about 35%-40% phys resistance and having dodge/parry/block would be more challenging and fun to juggle different stats, the survivability is overall fine, when other games buffed up their tanks too much they were dealing too much damage and at the same time taking almost no damage becoming imbalanced

think of the champion like batman, hes not like superman and have to be quick on his feet to survive a fight he doesnt just stand there bullets bouncing away it is more fun that way

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users