5 replies to this topic

#1 Rhayphin

Rhayphin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationUSA, Michigan

Posted 24 September 2010 - 01:58 PM

I'm not sure which thread this suggestion should go, but it's an observation about general gameplay. It is very hard to make a workable strategy to defeat a group of monsters, since they seem to re-spawn within about 30 seconds of killing them. It seems that they should stay dead for at least 20 minutes, so that you can utilize a strategy of picking off a few of them first, if they are clustered around your ultimate target.

Edited by Rhayphin, 24 September 2010 - 02:00 PM.

#2 Trebori

Trebori

Patron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 03:24 PM

After playing for several months I have noticed that respawns appear to be random. It could be intant ( in some cases) and 7 or 8 minutes the next time ( same mobs). You pretty much have to run and gun and watch your back for respawns. Having an exact respawn time you can set your watch to doesn't appear to happen unless it is in Warfiend or something similar. It is the same way with tradeskill nodes. Ores, and herbalism plants appear to be random.

I personally like it that way. Having everything on a exact schedule is mundane and boring. Having the random respawn times puts a little giddyup in your step.

#3 Anzha

Anzha

Crusader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 03:52 PM

I actually found the opposite, the only reason you really want to eliminate a whole camp of mobs would be to a) get to something in middle of it (very few quests would require this) or B) if you're farming the mobs for xp/drops.

Since B) is a lot more prevalent, I have found that respawns are often too slow and I spend a lot of time standing around, waiting, or running from camp to camp looking for more to kill.

I can understand if you're trying to fight your way to a boss in the middle of the camp that the respawn can be aggravating but I can't think of more than 1 or 2 places in the game where that's really necessary, almost all such fights have a safe place you can get to pretty easily to pull the boss, and very few quest objectives are in the middle of aggressive camps and those that are tend to be the 'can click it on the run' type - even on a squishy mage was able to blitz most of these.

20 minute respawns is unrealistic imo, it may work while the population is still low but can you imagine having to wait 20 mins to get the 10th monster you need for your kill quest since you've killed all the ones that were there? No thanks.
Posted Image
Anzha(50 Mystic), Anezaki (50 Ranger, Anri (50 Magus)

#4 Rhayphin

Rhayphin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationUSA, Michigan

Posted 26 September 2010 - 07:25 AM

Maybe when you're 50th level, you can wade into any situation without any regard to your opponents, but when you're mid level, you can't easily take on two monsters of equal level to yourself. Also, I don't see this a just a few isolated quests, there have been numerous situations that I have encountered already.

I guess I prefer I more cautious approach, but that doesn't seem to be posible when monsters re-spawn on top you. (it's certain death).

#5 Anzha

Anzha

Crusader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 02:09 AM

Hmm, I don't really mean for 50th lvl chars. When levelling up, its aggravating enough having to kill 20 of something and the camp only has 4-5. If respawns took 20 mins you'd be looking at an hour and a half nearly, of waiting around, assuming NOBODY ELSE was doing the same quest.

If you're having trouble killing 2 mobs your level, it is possible that an evaluation of your gear and build are in order. I've levelled 3 out of the 4 classes to 50 and not really had this problem with anywhere I had quests / was supposed to be. The only character that had trouble taking on multiples was my mage, but proceeding with caution usually could result in single pulls. I have not levelled a champion personally, but my husband has and in watchimg him play I never got the impression that 2-3 mobs was a problem.

There are 1 or 2 mid-level locations that may be problematic getting to a quest objective boss due to a highly populated camp, but alternatives such as getting a level or 2 and coming back to that quest, and/or getting someone to help you, seem a lot more reasonable a suggestion than crippling the global respawn rate across the board.

If there's a specific area you mention, perhaps it would be better that those areas simply have their spawns thinned out. Or if you post it here, maybe someone can advise you of an alternate plan of attack. For example, getting to the 'Raze' boss near Ardin Farm, past all the wolve-casting things, can be irritating, but its possible to scale the mountain from the other side and avoid the whole camp. Likewise with Darkmane at 30s, its possible to approach from the water and stand in a grove of trees out of range from the camp but still in range to pull the boss. I've found that 90% of the time, there's been a way to get in there and get the job done without having to kill the entire camp faster than it respawns.
Posted Image
Anzha(50 Mystic), Anezaki (50 Ranger, Anri (50 Magus)

#6 Trebori

Trebori

Patron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 03:32 AM

I always play a Ranger as my main and I am a Ranger at heart. If there is an easy way to do a camp, I will find it. I have almost all ( working on last 2 now) tradeskills maxxed. Get with me in game Rhay and I will see what I can do about your gear.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users