• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 mayito9999

mayito9999

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 11:14 AM

Hi guys new player here I want to roll a Magus but cant find any beginner guide or instructions, anyone care to help? Thanks

#2 mayito9999

mayito9999

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 12:55 PM

Is anybody playing this game?

#3 Klazgon

Klazgon

CSGM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 10 August 2010 - 01:10 PM

Right now the most common thing that people recommend is to specialize in your fire tree. This is the tree that is most capable at doing good damage early on.

Magus are very fragile, so you'll always want to start your attacks at max range that way you can get them as low as possible (if not dead) before the mob reaches you.

Were there any specific issues you were having when trying to play a magus?

#4 Whyspir

Whyspir

Crusader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida Baby!

Posted 10 August 2010 - 03:44 PM

Klazgon has given you the best advice.
Run up the fire tree especially anything that gives more damage and distance.
You can fiddle around with the different tree's when you get older.
It is Important for you to do Max damage before the mobs get to you at early ages or you will end having a private room at the rez stone.
"I thought I wanted a career, turns out I just wanted pay checks."
"Behind every successful man is his woman. Behind the fall of a successful man is usually another woman."

#5 Jaede6

Jaede6

Prophet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 01:43 PM

The fire tree seems to be the most popular. I have to say though, that personally, I prefer the frost tree. I've leveled to 36ish in frost, and I really like the survivability.
Adrios - Aniki (Magus) - Quamix (Ranger) - Jaede (Healer) - Toph (Soldier)

#6 Padreic

Padreic

Lead CSGM / Spreader of Chaos

• QOL Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1368 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 01:58 PM

Same Jaede. Fire definitely has the "oomph", but Frost allows for some extremely fun tactics.
I'm currently drinking a Pepsi. Doesn't matter when you read this, it's most likely true.

#7 Klazgon

Klazgon

CSGM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 11 August 2010 - 02:06 PM

I always leveled my mages frost in that MMO that shall not be named here, it was just more fun to me <.< >.>

I've been holding off on leveling a Magus though. Not sure why... I love the class.

#8 Anzha

Anzha

Crusader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 02:29 AM

Also something I didn't figure out till later that may help you, if you go to your skill trainer and set the filter in upper right to 'unavailable' you can see future skills for your class and read the descriptions, helps when making talent choices as some of the abilities are available long before the skills they correspond to.
Posted Image
Anzha(50 Mystic), Anezaki (50 Ranger, Anri (50 Magus)

#9 Jaede6

Jaede6

Prophet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 05:40 AM

I always leveled my mages frost in that MMO that shall not be named here, it was just more fun to me <.< >.>

Ironically, in that game I played a fire mage....hmmm...I see a pattern here...perhaps I just like the road less travelled. :wub:

#10 kriegen

kriegen

Patron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 06:11 AM

You can level fast in Frost tree because that is the aoe spec. Killing lower level mobs in vast quantities. You have to wait till you can get into mid tree though, but then you have constant aoe spells. When the mobs are higher level though (in relation to you), and you need to put them down fast then Fire is the way to go.

Arcane

#11 LaXi

LaXi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 17 August 2010 - 06:17 AM

I've been holding off on leveling a Magus though. Not sure why... I love the class.

I suppose you mean the mmo Voldermort plays, right?

#12 Jaede6

Jaede6

Prophet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 07:44 PM

I suppose you mean the mmo Voldermort plays, right?

That's the one. I think he plays a DK :P

#13 Kiljaeden

Kiljaeden

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 10:34 AM

What about the Storm tree? I've just started (yesterday) this game as a Magus and I've been looking into the skill trees. The stun abilities of the storm tree look enticing. Is it good at keeping groups of enemies as stunned drooling idiots while you pound them, or are those stuns not very effective so it's more of a supplementary tree to one of the other two?

On a side note, is it possible to "forget" the Novice Crafting trade skill? I found out the hard way about the three trade skill limit when I was trying to get every one of them so I had to reset my character, and for a Magus the Tailoring, Salvaging and Alchemy skills look to be the best. Is it possible to get all three of those, or do I have to make a hard choice between two of them?

#14 Klazgon

Klazgon

CSGM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 10 December 2010 - 10:42 AM

On a side note, is it possible to "forget" the Novice Crafting trade skill? I found out the hard way about the three trade skill limit when I was trying to get every one of them so I had to reset my character, and for a Magus the Tailoring, Salvaging and Alchemy skills look to be the best. Is it possible to get all three of those, or do I have to make a hard choice between two of them?

There is no way to get rid of novice crafting. You can have Novice Crafting + 2 other tradeskills. So, I guess it's decision time for you. =)

#15 Kiljaeden

Kiljaeden

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 12:50 PM

There is no way to get rid of novice crafting. You can have Novice Crafting + 2 other tradeskills. So, I guess it's decision time for you. =)

Crap. Any tips as to which to pick? I know Tailoring can handle a lot of the armor concerns of the magus, and Alchemy can create a bunch of jewels/enchantments and even some staves but Alchemy pretty much requires Salvaging to get a bunch of the materials. Is Tailoring and Alchemy too hard to level due to lack of input of materials? Is there another skill that directly feeds Tailoring? I looked at Skinning but that seems to suit Leatherworking more than anything.

#16 Klazgon

Klazgon

CSGM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 10 December 2010 - 03:35 PM

Crap. Any tips as to which to pick? I know Tailoring can handle a lot of the armor concerns of the magus, and Alchemy can create a bunch of jewels/enchantments and even some staves but Alchemy pretty much requires Salvaging to get a bunch of the materials. Is Tailoring and Alchemy too hard to level due to lack of input of materials? Is there another skill that directly feeds Tailoring? I looked at Skinning but that seems to suit Leatherworking more than anything.

Pretty much any 2 tradeskills you pick will not be self sufficient. You will commonly need items from crafts that you don't have for various recipes. The idea was to create a more social aspect to crafting, to where you would be making friends with other crafters in your guild (or outside of it) and trading for what each person needs. You can also set up orders for things you need by finding what you need in the library and then setting up a requisition order. You can also check what other people are searching for by opening the Requisition tab at the Auction House.

#17 Kiljaeden

Kiljaeden

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 06:36 AM

Alright then, back to the first part of my question: Is the Storm tree with its stun abilities any good?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users