• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 KataSteel

KataSteel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 04:40 PM

I have been playing for about 5 days now.
And I must have died like 50 times so far.
So far there has been many times where the current available quests were way too hard to complete solo (even though not marked group).
If a mob is even one lvl higher than you they are almost impossible to kill.
And the mobs with names are just ridiculous.
Things seem to cost too much as well, I can't even train right now because the skills are too expensive.
It is hard to the level of pushing me not to play it.
The game has a lot of potential but needs a lot of work.

#2 krulle

krulle

Patron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationBaker City, Oregon

Posted 25 May 2010 - 05:03 PM

not to try to piss you off but really the game is not even close to too hard. I have had no trouble at all as a magus to kill things my lvl or higher.
I also have plenty of gold to use on things if I wish.
Krulle-35 Magus on the Adrios server(Asharr side)
Member of Old Timers Guild

#3 Nightvision

Nightvision

Crusader

• QOL Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 05:23 PM

Occasionally we get reports that a particular monster is too hard, but we've done a lot of balancing and for the most part everything is about where we want it at this point.

A few things that you state here have me a bit distressed. For instance, not having enough coin to purchase new spells from the trainer. Beyond level 3 or so, I've never heard of that problem before. And we've had thousands of characters go through the lower levels and purchase their actions. I'm wondering if you could have possibly missed some quests along the way. Certainly at level 5 and forward you shouldn't be strained to purchase new actions.

Another question I have is whether you've been spending ability points to boost your firepower and durability? If not, you're certainly underpowered. Are you studying? Studies will also give you a boost.

Some classes are more difficult than others as well, especially at lower levels. For instance, the Magus doesn't really start to shine until somewhere around Level 12-15. You'll die more often in the beginning, but beyond that point you'll find that monsters are dying before they even get to you a lot of the time.

Certainly any new game is bound to be difficult in the beginning, until you learn the nuances and tricks to make things easier on yourself. I suspect that if you stick with it a bit longer you'll start to get the hang of it, and start dying less and enjoying more.

One last suggestion, find a questing buddy and do a few levels with that person. Both of you will have an easier go of it. Maybe even ask around and find a guild that you can join, with some lower level players that wouldn't mind doing some quests with you. The community in this game is second to none, many people are more than willing to help a new player out.

#4 BestAwesome

BestAwesome

Prophet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 05:38 PM

Like taking a test in school, the wisest thing is to skip problems that are too hard to solve and get them done later. Truth is I was in the wrong zone doing quests that were orange for me, it was a bit difficult but not impossible.

#5 Whyspir

Whyspir

Crusader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida Baby!

Posted 25 May 2010 - 05:50 PM

I would Like to add...
If you are playing a Magus and you also tailor/salvage This is a very Hard combo to play in the begining.
you wind up crushing all the stuff that could bring you money..wether you would sell at a merchant or the AH.
Also ,Not to Contradict Nightvision..But my Magus didnt start to shine till the mid 20's.
As far as Rangers ..Soldiers and healers go..PFFT.. They are way to easy to play.Rangers being the easiest and most rounded or versatal.
If you play on Hokk give a shout out for Whyspir or Whyspirs in global Help chat and I would be more then happy to help you out(Yes I said help chat)since it is help you are looking for i'am sure it is within the legal :whistling: use of it :fakenopic:
"I thought I wanted a career, turns out I just wanted pay checks."
"Behind every successful man is his woman. Behind the fall of a successful man is usually another woman."

#6 KataSteel

KataSteel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 06:36 PM

The money seems to be a little better now. I think i was low because I bought all the armor i could afford.

Edited by KataSteel, 25 May 2010 - 07:27 PM.

#7 MugHug

MugHug

Patron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • LocationNot Telling

Posted 25 May 2010 - 08:44 PM

I was surprised to see this thread.

I have two characters, a Lvl 23 Ranger and a Lvl 27 Healer and I have found since day one that Alganon is not what I would class as hard.

I must admit that I a lot of my success or failure is down to how I play my character. I use to think the Healer was hard to play and even stopped playing him and roled a Ranger.

I went back to my Healer recently and because of the previous issues, I re-evaluated the skills offered and adjusted my combat style. I now find that I can hold my own very well in most situations (that I carefully select) but I have to stay on the ball or else I will die.

As far as money, I have never found that I lacked money for training. Selling to vendors or if you can wait putting items in the Auction House keeps me just ahead of my bills. You can always go back and level your crafting skills later therefore keeping your money for the important things.

If you are on Adrios and need a bit of help, give Marak a tell, if I am on and I will help you. I can also invite you into a friendly guild where most people do seem to want to help each other plus we seem to do regular rounds of the instances.

Edited by MugHug, 25 May 2010 - 08:48 PM.

#8 KataSteel

KataSteel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 03:51 AM

I was able to kill Maggothead yesterday, which opened up a lot of easier quests.
I would say that the normal mobs difficultly may be fine, but i think the named ones need to be toned down a little.
Or make it so the hard quests (to kill a named mob) don't block other easier quests. And if those named mobs are going to be so hard to kill make the quest read (group quest).

#9 TikiSanchez

TikiSanchez

Prophet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • LocationRedmond, WA USA

Posted 26 May 2010 - 07:13 AM

Well that's because you play a Magus. You can't wear any signifigant armor and you can't heal yourself, which means you have the durability of a Twinkie in a wood chipper. I took my Magus to 21 before giving up and rolling a Ranger. Much different experience.

Never had a problem with money either, but to be fair I never craft either; so everything I gains from MOBs went to the vendors.
Tikirin Icefalcon (Tikir/Tiki/Tikin)
Old Timers Guild

#10 KataSteel

KataSteel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 01:35 PM

Well that's because you play a Magus. You can't wear any signifigant armor and you can't heal yourself, which means you have the durability of a Twinkie in a wood chipper. I took my Magus to 21 before giving up and rolling a Ranger. Much different experience.

Never had a problem with money either, but to be fair I never craft either; so everything I gains from MOBs went to the vendors.

I'm playing a healer.

#11 xxxxxx

xxxxxx

Patron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 01:51 PM

LOL! "twinkie in a wood chipper" .. as an ex tree surgeon i gotta laugh at that expression .. i love it! :) ... and disagree somewhat, mages last longer than nano seconds in combat, but yeah, mage can be tough when you are starting out in this game, especially since its not intended that any character becomes op enough to just breeze through everything in sight.

focus on damage dealing .. you gotta kill em quick since you can't go toe to toe w mobs for long.

My (now) lvl 46 fire mage has had no problems taking on (most) mobs up to 5 levels higher with nearly all looted/quest reward gear ... as you level you will gain some new skills/attacks and increase the damage of ones you already have so it becomes easier to some extent as you go along.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users