Neb

Prophet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationPhoenix

Posted 01 April 2010 - 08:37 AM

So what's happened to the Alganon site?

While it is April 1st, but this ain't no April Fool's joke. We have temporally taken down the Alganon website while we reboot into a whole new look and feel for the Official Launch later this month. But no worries, in the mean time all the information that you're use to finding can be found by clicking the Trial Link or in the Library located at www.myalganon.com/library. Of course the forums will remain up and running as well.

We've got some exciting things brewing and are working diligently getting everything ready. It's going to be a heck of ride.

#2 vantriscity

vantriscity

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 07:05 PM

So what's happened to the Alganon site?

While it is April 1st, but this ain't no April Fool's joke. We have temporally taken down the Alganon website while we reboot into a whole new look and feel for the Official Launch later this month. But no worries, in the mean time all the information that you're use to finding can be found by clicking the Trial Link or in the Library located at www.myalganon.com/library. Of course the forums will remain up and running as well.

We've got some exciting things brewing and are working diligently getting everything ready. It's going to be a heck of ride.

Every time I click on the downloader to download the game it says it cannot find the update server, is this because of the reboot? I'm not sure if that's why or if it's another problem. thanks.

#3 Klazgon

Klazgon

CSGM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 02 April 2010 - 08:49 AM

Every time I click on the downloader to download the game it says it cannot find the update server, is this because of the reboot? I'm not sure if that's why or if it's another problem. thanks.

Seems to be working fine for me right now. Let me know if you're still having issues or not.

Some things you can check are to temporarily turn off any firewall or anti-virus programs to see if those are interfering with the download.

#4 plixxster

plixxster

Prophet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • LocationFlorida, USA

Posted 02 April 2010 - 05:38 PM

Can we get a heads up so i can call in work sick :)

Edited by plixxster, 02 April 2010 - 05:39 PM.

Posted Image

#5 Ikki

Ikki

Patron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 04 April 2010 - 06:58 AM

how about an extended trial (30 days) for those of us that havent purchased the game?

#6 CyberSNAC

CyberSNAC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 11:16 AM

I'm personally very excited to know that Derek has taken over the operations at this joint. When I picked up Alganon as a pre-order two of the first impressions that I got were:

1. After talking with some of the support staff in game, I liked them and got the feeling that they really wanted this game to be the best it can be.

That's important to me in a time when usually when you put a ticket in to support in an MMO, you feel like a number and never anything more. The little interaction that I had with the support staff made me feel like every suggestion or question I had was important, no matter how stupid or obvious I thought it would seem to them.

2. Something about Alganon made me want to stay, which hasn't happened in a LONG time (I'm talking EQ1 day 1). There were a lot of features missing, but I thought, if those features could just be implemented, I might have a game to play for the next 8 years or so.

I've been away for a while, been busy burying my mother. Life has a way of doing that to you. But now that I'm back, I'm anxious to see where QOL, Derek and their employees take this game. I wish you the best of luck and hope that the release this month will show myself and the many other fans that you guys have captivated thus far just how good this game can/will be.

I'll be watching and hope to be back in game soon!

#7 Ryja

Ryja

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationSpringfield, TN

Posted 08 April 2010 - 04:29 PM

I'm personally very excited to know that Derek has taken over the operations at this joint. When I picked up Alganon as a pre-order two of the first impressions that I got were:

1. After talking with some of the support staff in game, I liked them and got the feeling that they really wanted this game to be the best it can be.

That's important to me in a time when usually when you put a ticket in to support in an MMO, you feel like a number and never anything more. The little interaction that I had with the support staff made me feel like every suggestion or question I had was important, no matter how stupid or obvious I thought it would seem to them.

2. Something about Alganon made me want to stay, which hasn't happened in a LONG time (I'm talking EQ1 day 1). There were a lot of features missing, but I thought, if those features could just be implemented, I might have a game to play for the next 8 years or so.

I've been away for a while, been busy burying my mother. Life has a way of doing that to you. But now that I'm back, I'm anxious to see where QOL, Derek and their employees take this game. I wish you the best of luck and hope that the release this month will show myself and the many other fans that you guys have captivated thus far just how good this game can/will be.

I'll be watching and hope to be back in game soon!

Just wanted to give you a big hug, Cybersnac...held my brother's hand four years ago when he died, and I know how soul crushing it is to lose anyone in your family. If you ever feel overwhelmed, feel free to PM me, even though I'm new here and we don't know each other, I still have a good set of ears that listen really well!

Like you, I have high hopes for this game, am glad I stumbled across it in my desperate search to find SOMETHING that wasn't dominated by PVP or looked like an escapee from Saturday morning toon time. lol!

Bowing out now, didn't want to hijack the thread, just wanted to say hi and such. :D
My alt used to be a nerfbat...O_O

#8 CarlitX

CarlitX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationBay Bulls, Newfoundland, Canada

Posted 08 April 2010 - 10:46 PM

Just wanted to give you a big hug, Cybersnac...held my brother's hand four years ago when he died, and I know how soul crushing it is to lose anyone in your family. If you ever feel overwhelmed, feel free to PM me, even though I'm new here and we don't know each other, I still have a good set of ears that listen really well!

Like you, I have high hopes for this game, am glad I stumbled across it in my desperate search to find SOMETHING that wasn't dominated by PVP or looked like an escapee from Saturday morning toon time. lol!

Bowing out now, didn't want to hijack the thread, just wanted to say hi and such. :D

No offense, but have you not tried world of warcraft? tis basically the same lol. Well, I also have high hopes for this. I am fairly new myself and I see how this is like a clone, but at the same time it has allot of things wow does not have that I would love to see this game grow into its own original thing with a huge community. Like the families, and the studies. I love the ideas.

On another note, any word on the exact April relaunch date?

Toons: Lockon Stratos - Main - Aridos - Kujix Ranger

#9 accessviolation

accessviolation

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationVon Braun

Posted 09 April 2010 - 02:36 AM

have you not tried world of warcraft? tis basically the same

Wow unfortunately is pvp-dominated, or at least the stereotypical pvp community has infested the entire system. The entire draw of this game to me is that it isn't full of 12-year-olds swearing at my mother and telling Chuck Norris jokes, or adult males that feel the need to compensate for something. I'll cut the rant off shortly so I don't derail the thread. (Mind you, I miss wow terribly...but just like Allods, I can't get past the communities in the game...which are now the norm, unfortunately.)

#10 Ryja

Ryja

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationSpringfield, TN

Posted 09 April 2010 - 06:27 AM

Wow unfortunately is pvp-dominated, or at least the stereotypical pvp community has infested the entire system. The entire draw of this game to me is that it isn't full of 12-year-olds swearing at my mother and telling Chuck Norris jokes, or adult males that feel the need to compensate for something. I'll cut the rant off shortly so I don't derail the thread. (Mind you, I miss wow terribly...but just like Allods, I can't get past the communities in the game...which are now the norm, unfortunately.)

Well said, and amen!
My alt used to be a nerfbat...O_O

#11 bcountry76

bcountry76

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 02:39 PM

These forums and community would have the same issues if it had hundreds of thousands of folks posting on it. Those numbers are a small percentage of the over all subs a certain other game has. I wish these Devs well and hope this game is a fruitful as they optimistically wish it to be. No doubt a lot of hard work has gone into this game and they should be proud.

The 7 day trial period just isn't enough to keep me around from what I have seen and experienced so far (tried beta a few months ago also). The trial starting area is completely dead. I see one or two people every hour or two if I am lucky. For this game to succeed, that starting area should be flooded with new players. It's going to take a lot more support than I see on these forums.

#12 CarlitX

CarlitX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationBay Bulls, Newfoundland, Canada

Posted 09 April 2010 - 05:43 PM

These forums and community would have the same issues if it had hundreds of thousands of folks posting on it. Those numbers are a small percentage of the over all subs a certain other game has. I wish these Devs well and hope this game is a fruitful as they optimistically wish it to be. No doubt a lot of hard work has gone into this game and they should be proud.

The 7 day trial period just isn't enough to keep me around from what I have seen and experienced so far (tried beta a few months ago also). The trial starting area is completely dead. I see one or two people every hour or two if I am lucky. For this game to succeed, that starting area should be flooded with new players. It's going to take a lot more support than I see on these forums.

Exactly. basically what the above posters wanted was an mmorpg without the mmo part lol. My advice to them if they don't want to deal with other gamers is to just download a private serer client and play in a world all alone xD

As for how to get more people into this game Id say redo the interface to not look like world of warcraft, and market the ###### out of it. Try to get a sale on the go for it on Steam and other services like that (I know it's already on Stardock's Impulse, that's where i found and bought it). Try and get gamestop to promote it, so on and so forth, if so make banner adds for sites like youtube and other fan sites for forums and anime.

Toons: Lockon Stratos - Main - Aridos - Kujix Ranger

#13 accessviolation

accessviolation

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationVon Braun

Posted 09 April 2010 - 07:15 PM

What we want is some common decency, otherwise known as the second great commandment, to be more prevalent in humanity, but that's moot at the moment. I also agree that if this game had 100k+ users, it'd likely be the same, especially if certain features were added to attract said detrimental crowds. In any case, we agree on the presence of the issue, but are looking at it from different sides. Fair enough and not worth further discussion here as we'd be spitting on the proverbial fish.

As to your comments about trial length, location and marketing, all of those have been addressed by the devs. The trial is going to be extended and run on the main servers with everyone else (even if that's a small crowd). The marketing began when Derek took over and caused a bit of a ruckus, earning a ton of free publicity (and the amount of new players since is noticeable). The devs also claim they'll start normal marketing once the full release is ready.

Edit: The wow-clone interface was literally one of the first two or three things that Derek tossed out the window. The feature notes for the official release seem to indicate that the semi-recently revamped UI will see further changes to distance itself from wow.

Edited by accessviolation, 09 April 2010 - 07:30 PM.

#14 Ikki

Ikki

Patron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 09 April 2010 - 07:19 PM

I agree with all the comments.
Personally I am thinking about buying the game, but 7 days by itself is not enough. The trial should be set at 30 days like most all MMOs/.
Or the price really set to like $5 or something.

#15 accessviolation

accessviolation

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationVon Braun

Posted 09 April 2010 - 07:23 PM

I agree with all the comments.
Personally I am thinking about buying the game, but 7 days by itself is not enough. The trial should be set at 30 days like most all MMOs/.
Or the price really set to like $5 or something.

To my knowledge, the only mmo with a 30 day trial is Ryzom. The major p2p competitors are 10 days (wow, lotro) or 14 days (sony station games). I think they're extending this trial to two weeks (and allowing "return" trials), which should be ample time to determine whether you'll enjoy the mechanics and community. I don't have the threads handy to back that info up, but it shouldn't be too difficult to dig them up in the recent news posts.

#16 Ikki

Ikki

Patron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 09 April 2010 - 07:57 PM

To my knowledge, the only mmo with a 30 day trial is Ryzom. The major p2p competitors are 10 days (wow, lotro) or 14 days (sony station games). I think they're extending this trial to two weeks (and allowing "return" trials), which should be ample time to determine whether you'll enjoy the mechanics and community. I don't have the threads handy to back that info up, but it shouldn't be too difficult to dig them up in the recent news posts.

No worries. I actually just purchased the game :)

#17 accessviolation

accessviolation

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationVon Braun

Posted 10 April 2010 - 04:23 AM

No worries. I actually just purchased the game :)

Look forward to seeing you in-game then :D

#18 Pax11

Pax11

Patron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 07:02 AM

Exactly. basically what the above posters wanted was an mmorpg without the mmo part lol. My advice to them if they don't want to deal with other gamers is to just download a private serer client and play in a world all alone xD

As for how to get more people into this game Id say redo the interface to not look like world of warcraft, and market the ###### out of it. Try to get a sale on the go for it on Steam and other services like that (I know it's already on Stardock's Impulse, that's where i found and bought it). Try and get gamestop to promote it, so on and so forth, if so make banner adds for sites like youtube and other fan sites for forums and anime.

Actually, I have been playing MMO's for 11 years. Started with the release of EQ1, and have played 5 or 6 MMO's for 3 or more years each (yes, I tended to play more than one at a time as they became a bit more casual). I really enjoy the MMO part of MMORPG. That said, I can barely watch the chat text go by in WOW when I play (I have decreased my playtime significantly because of the community). I have truly never spent time in a more emotionally immature community since middle school. The difference between the WOW community and the other communities I have been and still am a part of is palpable.

Pax

#19 BVRBandit

BVRBandit

QOL Staff

• Administrators
  • 308 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 08:22 AM

how about an extended trial (30 days) for those of us that havent purchased the game?

With the game no longer subscription based, the price dropped to $19.95 (from $39.95), there are no plans to increase the trial at this time.

The trial server will be dropped and all trial players moved to the production game servers when the game is officially released later this month.
Game developers are just human beings who happen to make games for a living. If you want to hold us up to higher standards of conduct, then go ahead...but don't be surprised if we don't uphold them.

#20 CyberSNAC

CyberSNAC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 09:01 AM

Derek,

I realize that this may be pre-mature, but the thought crossed my mind. Can you say if there are any plans for re-doing the character models? I realize this is most likely a time-consuming and expensive process but it seems that something like that would go along with your plans of throwing the WoW look-alike aspects of this game out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users