Whyspir

Crusader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida Baby!

Posted 31 March 2010 - 03:34 PM

Hi all,
Started a magus on hokk-Kujix side I have a 50 ranger and 50 healer and soldiers on the asher side, so i know a little about gameplay.
My Problem is trying to keep my magus alive...I somehow have made it to lv 15 and have about 999999 deaths racked up(I have died more on this toon then all my others put together.
Any of you magus able to explain how you fight, maybe what spells you are using?
I'am going nuts trying to figure this out and cant save any money.. repairs are costly.
Iam fighting mobs 1-2 levels below mine and still having difficulties.
If I fight mobs a level higher or 2 I must use food and potions and sometimes I survive.
Any help would greatly be appreciated I wont give up on this chick that easy.
"I thought I wanted a career, turns out I just wanted pay checks."
"Behind every successful man is his woman. Behind the fall of a successful man is usually another woman."

#2 Jaede6

Jaede6

Prophet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 04:11 PM

I had some issue with this when I started my magus also. I'm only level 12, but I can currently do pretty well against lvl 14 mobs, even managed to take out one with the deadly "rip" yesterday. This is my rotation:

Frostbite from max range
Turn on auto-shot
Frostbite
Etherbolt
Back up while triggering Cindershot
Flamebolt
Cone of Cold (if still alive after Flamebolt)

Usually I can manage to kill the mob before I get hit more than once or twice. If they're still alive after Cone of Cold, which is rare, I'll circle a bit and auto-shot will finish them off, or I'll fire off an extra Cindershot.

Life as a magus has become much more enjoyable since I started using this rotation. I'm sure there are other combinations that work also, but I think the key is those first 2 Frostbites, and then using a couple shots with dots on them. That way if you end up backing up or moving around a bit to avoid getting hit, they are slow and still taking damage. Good luck!
Adrios - Aniki (Magus) - Quamix (Ranger) - Jaede (Healer) - Toph (Soldier)

#3 xxxxxx

xxxxxx

Patron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 06:48 PM

Hi all,
Started a magus on hokk-Kujix side I have a 50 ranger and 50 healer and soldiers on the asher side, so i know a little about gameplay.
My Problem is trying to keep my magus alive...I somehow have made it to lv 15 and have about 999999 deaths racked up(I have died more on this toon then all my others put together.
Any of you magus able to explain how you fight, maybe what spells you are using?
I'am going nuts trying to figure this out and cant save any money.. repairs are costly.
Iam fighting mobs 1-2 levels below mine and still having difficulties.
If I fight mobs a level higher or 2 I must use food and potions and sometimes I survive.
Any help would greatly be appreciated I wont give up on this chick that easy.

i had similar problems w my kujix healer .. she just seemed way too squishy, more so than my magic using human chars for some reason, so i wonder if it might simply be a bit more difficult on the kujix side which does seem to have had less effort expended on it imho..

srry dont remember exactly what my human mage had at lvl 15

i put quite a lot of effort into wand use (and studies), and use only fire attacks w ether ae attacks as a last resort.

Edited by xxxxxx, 31 March 2010 - 06:51 PM.

#4 Kamaile

Kamaile

Prophet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 09:16 PM

only 999999?? Jeez, what a slacker. :P They must have made maguses harder to level because when I leveled mine up, it was a piece of cake. I used strictly fire spells tho as soon as I had them, but it's been a while.

They might have "fixed" them between then and now :P

Edited by Kamaile, 31 March 2010 - 09:19 PM.

Kujix all the way....On Adrios: Kamaile (Lvl 50 LB Ranger), Kamasuture (Lvl 50 Magus), Kamalexa (Lvl 50 Soldier), Verdante (Lvl 24 Healer). Guild: Ghazmok's Judge ~~ On Hokk: Keahi (Lvl 8? Magus)

#5 Valiant

Valiant

Crusader

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 04:57 AM

Need Some Help

LOL, you sure do... Hell, that says it all!!!!!! :mage:

And btw...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MORON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love ya :)

Val
"Only by Truth, Honor, and Courage, shall you acquire your highest rewards."-- Sir Valiant

#6 plixxster

plixxster

Prophet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • LocationFlorida, USA

Posted 01 April 2010 - 05:23 AM

I have the same problem, i made a Soldier, Healer and a Ranger to test and they have more survivability than the Magus by far.

Soldier via dmg mitigation
Healers via buffs + heals
Rangers minor dmg mitigation + minor heals (feels hybrid)

Magus SUPPOSED to be via kill before getting killed, but most mobs seem to have high mitigation and hit HARD making the magus a null, meaning its true form of its class i.e. making a true dps magus is not effective and doesnt seem balanced in alganon.

Edited by plixxster, 01 April 2010 - 05:23 AM.

Posted Image

#7 Whyspir

Whyspir

Crusader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida Baby!

Posted 01 April 2010 - 07:04 PM

Thank You all! Great tips.
Had a better run lastnight, the frost pull seem to help then blasting away with a combo of fire and electric I surved a little better.
However IMHO there is something wrong with the Magus I'am just to squishy.
Perhaps its just me or my gear or maybe my low level, just hit 16 lastnight so hopefully it gets better.

OH AND THANK YOU PUTZZZ!! LUV YOU TOO!!!
"I thought I wanted a career, turns out I just wanted pay checks."
"Behind every successful man is his woman. Behind the fall of a successful man is usually another woman."

#8 Darkrift

Darkrift

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 06:17 AM

I did not look at how old this post was but i started hm yesterday finally. I made a Magus because seems to be one of the more challenging classes and least played so far.

I noticed a few things, some monsters take more electrical damage then fire. and vise versa. I rarely use ice right now and primary im using my biggest attack lightning or fire.

Most i put points into improved fire bolt and pyro marking. Now rarely if ever does a monster equal to ow below my levle get to me if i start max range. I can kill almost non stop like this. Things higher up to 4 levels tend to get me to half casters my level or higher almost kill me every time.

The auto range attack fast and maybe this is not good but i rarely use it because if i use that first the mob is agro and on his way before my fire bolt is half done. Id if i throw 2 fire bolts one is flying and lands as the other starts flying. That is 2 free hits and 3d tends to land just before he gets to me.

I tried a bit of point blank cones but mana usage was a bit high. For bosses i suggest if you run out of power useing lightning. Otherwise fire seems best. I probably do not utalise my ice enough at this point but i have no troble soloing and rarely die now.

Today im going to see if the deago skills in fire allows a soldier to hold agro off me =P

Oh one other thing i tried early on was the ae spells, i pulled like 8 level 4 and 5 creatures or as many as i could round up and aed them to death. This however stops working when mobs starting hitting harder past the first aria.

#9 Kiljaeden

Kiljaeden

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 11:00 AM

I'm starting to level up a magus and I haven't been seeing the problems that the original poster has. The magus is a damage dealing death machine, if the proper spells are used. Here's what I use, in case you find it helps:

-FOCUS: Always on. Running out of focus points is one way to die quickly, so activate it and keep it on.
-FIREBOLT: Get to maximum range and start spamming this. If your fast enough, by the time the first one hits the second one will be in the air, and the third one has started casting.
-WAND SHOT: Activate this the moment the third bolt casts
-SHOCKWAVE: This is an instant cast, 2 second reload delay spell, so you can actively spam it while you're in melee combat. If levelled as you go properly, it will roughly double your damage output at melee range

One other thing to note is that mages can weapon-cycle in melee combat for increased damage output, which is mostly effective if you are using a staff (which from what I've seen gives the best bonuses to spell power). If your wand significantly outdamages your staff then don't bother cycling, however if your staff has the highest DPS rating you can cycle it the following way:

-Let your staff hit
-Immediately activate Wand and get a shot off
-Shockwave spell
-Immediately switch back to Staff, and repeat the above as necessary

Cycling like this adds almost no delay whatsoever to the Staff strikes, but your close range DPS goes up to frightening levels. Which is good, because you won't live long at that range.

With the above, unless the mob is a boss or it resists some of the firebolts it usually dies after the first wand strike, or shockwave. I rarely get hit more than once.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users