#1 Sortiarius

Sortiarius

Patron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 12 March 2010 - 01:17 PM

I come to the forums to gain USEFUL information, and to hear what our friends in the game are saying.

As of late, there has been no useful information. Instead there has been a lot of dissension, misinformation, rude, nasty and uncalled for communications, total confusion, and a lot of comments that make me not want to be associated with the game. Anyone that comes to read these forums lately probably won't ever come back, and I am close to it myself. I hate reading all the bad stuff here.

We had a wonderful community and game and it went to hell mostly because of the management not being up front with us.

I propose that at some point soon, these forums get wiped and lets start fresh with a good attitude, and GOOD HONEST information about where the game is and what is happening going forward.

Sorti

#2 Radium

Radium

Crusader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 02:14 PM

Shoveling the crap under the carpet does not clean the room. The room will still stink. Considering everything the community was very kind compared to what was deserved. IMOP overly kind.

Getting rid of that piece of history will look like a cover up. Well I would even call it a cover up. Derek has been blunt about what took place. Someone else has posted something that said Trust is earned. If trust is being earned then these forums will clean themselves up. This community mostly wants to believe in the development team. Wanting to believe in them and trusting them are two separate issues. But the developers can leverage that desire we have to believe in them to work to their advantage. As long as they do what they say and do not let some of the screw the customer policies come back in like they did to their biggest financially backing fans, those who bought multiple accounts and subscribed for a year on them.

#3 Alysandir

Alysandir

Patron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationHanover, MD

Posted 12 March 2010 - 02:47 PM

Shoveling the crap under the carpet does not clean the room.

This.
"Oh bother," said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

#4 Chyra

Chyra

Crusader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 12 March 2010 - 04:05 PM

Shoveling the crap under the carpet does not clean the room. The room will still stink. Considering everything the community was very kind compared to what was deserved. IMOP overly kind.

Getting rid of that piece of history will look like a cover up....

Well said. Couldn't agree more.
Posted Image

#5 allisyia

allisyia

Crusader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts
  • LocationLancaster, UK

Posted 13 March 2010 - 08:15 AM

I completely understand your reasons, Sorti, because I was also feeling annoyed with the amount of angry posts and often posted to say so.

The posts, however, do represent honest reactions to what was happening (or not happening) to Alganon and although it could feel irritating and saddening to read them and mourn what seemed to be the falling apart of the community, they now form a part of our story.

Community doesn't just mean the lovely, warm side of human relations, it also includes the prickly, angry, frustrating side of things, too. Over the months we have definitely experienced both sides and if we tried now to get rid of the record of the uncomfortable times, we would be left with a forum which didn't accurately represent the truth.

Finally, we might have times in the future where there are posters on the forum who want to express annoyance/anger/frustration for whatever reasons and if we erase posts now which are deemed "negative", would we have to keep doing the same thing every so often?

btw, I'm missing you, Sorti *hugs* Can't wait until that time when we are all playing Alganon again ^^
Kujix: Oshimara, Ranger and Miashima, Healer
Asharr: Allisyia, Healer and Lliannah, Magus

#6 Warwench

Warwench

Prophet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

Posted 13 March 2010 - 08:30 AM

To some degree this has already happened once. I have I think 13+ posts, but cannot find the threads when searching.
Adapt and overcome, don't whine and succumb.

#7 Wraithblade

Wraithblade

Patron

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 09:25 AM

I come to the forums to gain USEFUL information, and to hear what our friends in the game are saying.

As of late, there has been no useful information. Instead there has been a lot of dissension, misinformation, rude, nasty and uncalled for communications, total confusion, and a lot of comments that make me not want to be associated with the game. Anyone that comes to read these forums lately probably won't ever come back, and I am close to it myself. I hate reading all the bad stuff here.

We had a wonderful community and game and it went to hell mostly because of the management not being up front with us.

I propose that at some point soon, these forums get wiped and lets start fresh with a good attitude, and GOOD HONEST information about where the game is and what is happening going forward.

Sorti

Once one starts using the Memory Hole, where does one stop? "GOOD HONEST" information? From whose perspective? The actions/in actions of the recent past are part of the communities history. One of the most certain methods that exists to destroy a community, is to impose heavy handed censorship, and/or fear for ones account. That approach simply drives discontent underground, it doesn't prevent it. The bad word of mouth(and posts on forums beyond the companies control) that result are much more damaging to the games future, than what we've seen around here to this point.
If you can't kill it, don't make it mad.

#8 Sortiarius

Sortiarius

Patron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 13 March 2010 - 10:44 AM

I wasn't suggesting we sweep ###### under the rug. Instead you clean it so when your new guests come to visit, you can move on with new business and not have to always explain the bad smell.

I understand the point of keeping what is here, but one of the main issues everyone complains about is the lack of population. Well if you go to a new game, and read their forums, and it is the way this one is, are you going to stay?

I am just trying to suggest that if we are having new leadership, and sounds like this will be a new game when they get done, then why not focus on what we have at hand, and start fresh. All the comments I have read so far only supports the same bad sentiment I am suggesting we get rid of so we can focus on getting the game and community back to where we want it.

So flamne away, that is all I am going to say about it.

Sorti

#9 Padreic

Padreic

Lead CSGM / Spreader of Chaos

• QOL Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1369 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 11:00 AM

No flaming needed. :wink:

Actually, we will be doing something of this sort in the near future, but nothing like sweeping everything under the rug. The forums have become bloated and fragmented, and need to have a broom and dust pan taken to many sections. I've already started making some of these fixes on the back end, but look for me announcing some house cleaning at some point in the next couple of weeks.

I realize the OP here was regarding post content, but I figured this was as good a place as any to bring up some good 'ol house cleaning.
I'm currently drinking a Pepsi. Doesn't matter when you read this, it's most likely true.

#10 Wraithblade

Wraithblade

Patron

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 03:15 PM

I wasn't suggesting we sweep ###### under the rug. Instead you clean it so when your new guests come to visit, you can move on with new business and not have to always explain the bad smell.

I understand the point of keeping what is here, but one of the main issues everyone complains about is the lack of population. Well if you go to a new game, and read their forums, and it is the way this one is, are you going to stay?

I am just trying to suggest that if we are having new leadership, and sounds like this will be a new game when they get done, then why not focus on what we have at hand, and start fresh. All the comments I have read so far only supports the same bad sentiment I am suggesting we get rid of so we can focus on getting the game and community back to where we want it.

So flamne away, that is all I am going to say about it.

Sorti

Sorti, I wasn't aware of any flaming directed at you personally in this thread. My observations were of a general nature, directed at the situation we find ourselves in. I've been playing these games since UO, and I've seen the same mistakes made, time after time after time(to a greater or lesser extent). Mainly because all too many people refuse to learn from others experience, and from past history.

All too many people fail to understand just what a community is, let alone how to grow and/or sustain one. That is one of the reasons that good CM's are so vital to the entire process.

Censorship in what ever form or what ever the justification is corrosive. Over time it will warp and distort not only a community, but also the perceptions of those who should be aware of the currents within that community. They all too often mistake the imposed calm for the real thing.

Certainly some *moderation* is required, but good moderation is far removed from censorship in its application and results.
If you can't kill it, don't make it mad.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users