#1 Chyra

Chyra

Crusader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 18 February 2010 - 01:18 PM

Just caught this great article at mmorpg.com. While I think it's relevant to Alganon, I thought this forum was probably a more appropriate place.

Article is here - http://www.mmorpg.co...oadFeature/4021

Here's the seven systems and just very short snippets of what stood out to me:

1. Strictly Social - Maybe it's finishing, maybe it's musical, maybe it some kind of relationship system but whatever it is, it doesn't have any practical value to the principal "goal" of players looking to play the game and level up. In order to create the feeling of a virtual world, time needs to be paid to the things that exist in the world that don't involve killing things or people and making XP and loot.

2. Economy - Too often now, developers don't pay enough attention to their own economies, letting them become (or designing them to be) very homogenized and dull, with little room for player interaction.

3. Housing - If you want people to feel as though they are a part of a world, and to create an attachment to it that will result, in the end, in longer customer loyalty and an overall better virtual world experience, then you really need to give them their own small part of it.

4. Grouping - Too often, too many MMOs rely on people knowing each other outside of the game, either through real-life relationships, or maybe long-standing guilds. The tools that they put together in-game tend to be clunky and difficult to use.

5. Crafting - Because crafting is seen by many as a "must-have" feature, it seems to be rushed into the launch version of a game without much consideration for the actual role that it plays within the virtual world.

6. Malleable World - Give your players the feeling that they are contributing to something greater than themselves, and that their actions in the world have some genuine effect beyond personal leveling.

7. Tutorial - While trying to introduce players to the specific intricacies of the game, the developers seem to have forgotten how to seamlessly teach new players about the conventions of an MMO.

I thought it was a great article. The Strictly Social and Housing in particular are huge for me. There's no way I would have continued playing EQ2 for four years without those features. And they've done a pretty good job with the malleable world part too. There have been several events where players had to work together to build something such as the teleportation spires (and we all got credit and rewarded for it in some way *cough cough*) But so rare to see these in mmo's anymore.
Posted Image

#2 Lostcloud

Lostcloud

Servant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 18 February 2010 - 08:00 PM

I would have to agree I too enjoyed the article well worth a read as were some of the considered responses, not the usual trash talk that site is famous for.
A warning shot is a bullet wasted!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users