• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 bquackenbush

bquackenbush

• QOL Staff
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 06:30 PM

Guys, please do not do anything with the edge files yet, the format is going to be completely changing with the next patch...

1) instead of the frame elements being in broken pieces, the format is going to be in a 3x3 grid so that the frame can be a single connected frame

2) With the current frame edge system, you can see break points and color shift points and other 'glitches' anywhere frame edging is used (i.e. the popup boxes, dropdown menus, text input for a number of frames like guild, auction house, ect), this new format will fix that

Edge files are files like common\frameedge1.png

This is something I had planned on changing before we got into addons, but now it's needed even more for the new chat UI to look better.

#2 bquackenbush

bquackenbush

• QOL Staff
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 10:36 AM

Here is a bit more information on the new edge file format.

The old style format was a single file, with 8 32x32 squares linked one after the other, like this:

OldEdgeStyle.png

The new style format is also a single file, but with 9 32x32 squares arranged in 3 rows of 3, and taking the same shape as a frame, like this:

NewEdgeStyle.png

Note that the middle square is not currently used.

In addition to this format working better with our engine in that the bottom and top lines do not need to be roated 90 degrees and thus introducing a greater chance for artifacts, it should allow software like photoshop to more easily add special effects to the edge, since the image is much cloer to an actual edge image.

Finally, you will also notice that the edges in the new format are closer alligned to the centers of the 32x32 blocks... this allows the game engine to automatically adjust for the edge placement, so the edge can be closer to the requested size of the frame, which also limits the need to use inset adjustments to get the background to match up... as an example, for all of the current game UI, other than one special case location, I was able to simply remove all the background inset locations (allow them to default to 0, 0, 0, 0) and still have the background match with the edge

of course, this means the scripts all have to be adjusted slightly to remove the old adjustments, so with this next patch, you may see some elements in the UI adjusted slightly in their position, but overall, going forward, I think switching to this new alignment, and new format will work out much better both for us, and the modding community.

#3 Syndic

Syndic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1886 posts
  • LocationPerth, WAustralia

Posted 22 January 2010 - 10:32 PM

Well certainly looking at it, this seems to make alot of sense.

Can't wait tosee some of the results of people work.
Adrios - Syndic (Soldier), Kadden (Mage); Hokk - Thrawn (Ranger); Toskala - Nelina (Healer)
Family - Mitthrawnurodo (Talrok)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users