12 replies to this topic

#1 b94fy34t1na2mwd

b94fy34t1na2mwd

Prophet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 09:00 AM

Couple of questions for whoever knows at QOL.

I'm trying to use a few functions now that LUA's are permitted and working.

These two functions,

ChatWindowLogging
ChatWindowLoggingCombat

don't return errors, but also don't appear to do anything, but it's difficult to tell without know what arguments they accept. What arguments do they accept?

Also,

I'm trying to write a function that will permit (hopefully) a keybinding for looting, instead of having to click all the time on corpses that are, in some case, extremely hard to click on.

To that end, I've looked through all the loot related functions

LootClose
LootGetCount
LootGetMethod
LootRollGetInfo
LootRollSelect
LootSetMethod
LootSetThreshold
LootSlot
LootSlotGetInfo
LootSlotIsCoin
LootSlotIsItem

However, none of these will actually initiate the looting action.

Similarly there doesn't appear to be an obvious way to set the CurrentNpcMode to NpcInteractionMode_Loot, or to initiate that.

LootSlot() works, but only after the loot interface is open. So, what I'd like to know before I bang my head against this anymore is: Is this even possible?

All I want to do is press a key for the action instead of click the mouse. That's it. There's no nefarious scheme behind the scenes, I'm just trying to save myself frustration and repetitive stress injury. Many many many other MMO's already have this functionality, either built in or via LUA/mods.

If there is no Loot() or StartLooting() function (there doesn't appear to be) is InterfaceActionAutoLoot related, or is that only to set the flag in Interface Options? Or is there some other mechanism I can use?

Finally, the macro interface doesn't appear to be working, still/yet. Any ETA on when we'll be able to bind custom slash commands to a key-binding / hotbar-slot?

Let me know!

#2 Soupdragon

Soupdragon

Crusader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • LocationCork, Ireland

Posted 19 January 2010 - 07:07 AM

Good question, politely asked. :thumbsup:
I hope someone from QOL has PM'd him.

BUMPAGE!!!
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."Einstein

#3 b94fy34t1na2mwd

b94fy34t1na2mwd

Prophet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 07:10 AM

Not a peep so far, I was really hoping to start logging some fight data and do some serious number crunching. Just need one set of arguments for that!

#4 Dyster

Dyster

Director of Development

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 11:01 AM

Glad to see you are starting to dig into the interface stuff.

Couple notes on this:
1) While we have opened it up for you to start experimenting with and learning, our developers are currently extremly busy with other things atm, so we don't yet have any explicit support for 3rd party mods. We've verified it works, but we don't have time right now to provide much support or help

2) That said, our client UI guy may occationally take a few minutes to answer questions or provide some help here. But it's on a "as time allows" basis, so don't get upset if it takes a while for him (or myself) to provide feedback.

3) We do have more planned for the UI, and as time and resources allow, we will provide more support, and provide more enhancements.

I'm a big fan of 3rd party mods and the creativity of the player base. Just have patience with us as we are a small team and still have a lot on our plates...

#5 Dyster

Dyster

Director of Development

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 11:03 AM

There are some functions (like ChatWindowLogging and others) that are in there for debugging purposes, and have to remain so we don't have the maintain two seperate copies of the lua code. But they aren't meant for use on production, and hence they don't error, but also don't do anything in the live build...

#6 bquackenbush

bquackenbush

• QOL Staff
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 04:54 PM

Since I'm the main client UI guy, I might as well add a few additional notes here too...

First, as Dyster said, the ChatWindowLogging() and ChatWindowLoggingCombat() do not function yet, mainly because we do not have associated support for any type of /chatlog or /combatlog slash commands. As fate would have it, just this morning I was assigned a new task for re-writing the entire chat window system which we will hopefully see in the 1.1.9 patch (not the 1.1.8 patch that will be out hopefully in a few days, but the one after that). As part of that, the chat and combat logging stuff will most likely be implemented at that time.

I'm still debating on if I want to stick with the traditional chat log and combat log regardless of how chat windows are setup, or if I want to have the logging chat window based, which means in theory, players could define which combat messages or other messages went into which logs based on chat window configuration... but that's another story.

The LootXXXX API... you are correct in that there are no 'trigger looting for entity XXX' commands yet, as it's all handled internal to client... if you interact with a lootable entity, and your in range, then LUA get's the LOOT_OPENED event which causes the loot frame to appear

Although we could in theory have a LootSelectedEntity() API, I'm wondering if it might be better to have a more generic 'InteractWithSelectedEntity()' instead... which would have the same effect of clicking on the entity with your mouse would have.

Macros...... They are in the plan™.... somewhere.... but they don't seem to be a short term thing. (i.e. it's probably not something that is going to be added before the end of February, since I don't see any mention of them in my task list, and our tasks (at least on the client development side) are planned out through then.

That doesn't mean they can't be added if the powers above me decide they have a higher priority in relation to all the other new features and fixes we have in the pipeline.

#7 b94fy34t1na2mwd

b94fy34t1na2mwd

Prophet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 06:29 PM

... As part of that, the chat and combat logging stuff will most likely be implemented at that time.

You're my new hero. I'm sorry Minuvo, bquackenbush has moved up the ladder.
This is the best news I've heard all week. THANK YOU. To quote Thor: "Now there is hope, when before there was none"

I'm still debating on if I want to stick with the traditional chat log and combat log regardless of how chat windows are setup, or if I want to have the logging chat window based, which means in theory, players could define which combat messages or other messages went into which logs based on chat window configuration... but that's another story.

If you're looking for feedback, it would be fantastic to see it by window, so players could configure a window to log what they wanted to log (everything, some, none, a little) and another for guild chat, another for raid chat, etc. The best flexibility. The bonus is that separating them out by file like this first makes parsing MUCH easier, because you don't have to awk/sed/grep the chat out from the combat, it's already separated by window and by file.

Although we could in theory have a LootSelectedEntity() API, I'm wondering if it might be better to have a more generic 'InteractWithSelectedEntity()' instead... which would have the same effect of clicking on the entity with your mouse would have.

I would -love- a generic InteractWithSelectedEntity(). That would be amazingly useful. Similarly, a SelectNearestLootable() would also be a godsend.

Thank you VERY VERY much for the response, bquackenbush, you made my day.

#8 Soupdragon

Soupdragon

Crusader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • LocationCork, Ireland

Posted 20 January 2010 - 10:53 AM

QOL=TOP :banana:
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."Einstein

#9 Codex

Codex

Patron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio

Posted 20 January 2010 - 11:10 AM

[quote name='bquackenbush' date='19 January 2010 - 05:39 PM' timestamp='1263947977' post='38155']
Since I'm the main client UI guy, I might as well add a few additional notes here too...

As fate would have it, just this morning I was assigned a new task for re-writing the entire chat window system which we will hopefully see in the 1.1.9 patch (not the 1.1.8 patch that will be out hopefully in a few days, but the one after that).
-------------------------------------------------

Oh please make it so we can resize the chat box along with a tab that will drop it down somewhere out of sight above the UI line.

On another note maybe a place on the site where player submited and downloadable items for the UI have been QOL approved. Would hate to see somebody get a key logger dropped on them and thier accounts wiped.

#10 jdsmith

jdsmith

Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 12:18 PM

[quote name='Codex' date='20 January 2010 - 12:55 PM' timestamp='1264013734' post='38205']
[quote name='bquackenbush' date='19 January 2010 - 05:39 PM' timestamp='1263947977' post='38155']

As fate would have it, just this morning I was assigned a new task for re-writing the entire chat window system which we will hopefully see in the 1.1.9 patch (not the 1.1.8 patch that will be out hopefully in a few days, but the one after that).
-------------------------------------------------

Oh please make it so we can resize the chat box along with a tab that will drop it down somewhere out of sight above the UI line.

On another note maybe a place on the site where player submited and downloadable items for the UI have been QOL approved. Would hate to see somebody get a key logger dropped on them and thier accounts wiped.
[/quote]

We will be adding mod hosting capability to MyAlganon :)

#11 bquackenbush

bquackenbush

• QOL Staff
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 06:24 PM

It's already in the plan to make sure that chat windows are movable and resizable, adding the ability to click on the tabs to make the chat windows collapsible sounds like a cool idea, basically the tabs would go down to whatever the lower Y value is of the chat window, and none of the chat text would be visible....

I'm thinking maybe have left clicking the tabs do this, and then right clicking will pop up the context menu to rename / lock / configure them, etc.

#12 Syndic

Syndic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1886 posts
  • LocationPerth, WAustralia

Posted 20 January 2010 - 06:49 PM

As much as I think I like the theory of seperate chat logs for each chat tab/window I'm wondering if this would cause other problems with things that go looking in log files. An example would be if someone has something that looks at shouts, guild and group messages for certain signs, would searching 1-3 different logs be more of a drain on resources. Also if the log files are chat window based what happens to mods that want something in a particular place only to find it's not there.
Sure I know all these instances can be programmed around but would that not make it more complicated on the user of the mod. If everything is just written to one log, all mods will know where to find it and users would not need to worry about how chat windows are setup or what is/isn't being logged.
Adrios - Syndic (Soldier), Kadden (Mage); Hokk - Thrawn (Ranger); Toskala - Nelina (Healer)
Family - Mitthrawnurodo (Talrok)

#13 b94fy34t1na2mwd

b94fy34t1na2mwd

Prophet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 08:21 PM

As much as I think I like the theory of seperate chat logs for each chat tab/window I'm wondering if this would cause other problems with things that go looking in log files. An example would be if someone has something that looks at shouts, guild and group messages for certain signs, would searching 1-3 different logs be more of a drain on resources. Also if the log files are chat window based what happens to mods that want something in a particular place only to find it's not there.
Sure I know all these instances can be programmed around but would that not make it more complicated on the user of the mod. If everything is just written to one log, all mods will know where to find it and users would not need to worry about how chat windows are setup or what is/isn't being logged.

Easily solved via two possible methods.

The user can create an "everything" window if they want a log file with everything. I think it would be better to have more flexibility and choice up front rather than less.

It's vastly easier to combine log files than separate them, especially if the log file format has a parser-friendly timestamp as the first field.

'cat *.log |sort -n >>newfile'

voila! combined.

As well, it should be reasonably straightforward to provide a function that returns the current logfile name/path for a given window, if desired.

Finally, the interface knows which chat window a given command was issued from, so all you have to do is type your slash command in the window you want it to watch/read, and you're set.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users