#1 Calmedan

Calmedan

Patron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 21 December 2009 - 12:33 PM

There are far too many forums and sub-forums. I no longer use these forums as you intended, I simply look at the active content for today, reply to posts of relevance, and that's it. I have zero idea of what forums I've posted in because it's reached a point where there are too many to care.

There should be two sets of forums, both sets publicly visible, but new or potential players can only post in the newcomer section.

Subscriber-only forums are a naff idea, helps foster a sense of uncertainty with prospective players - they tend to wonder what's being hidden. Take a look at Neocron, Vanguard, Horizons, EQ, Eve, and many other MMO forums for a clear indication of what I'm getting at. Everyone can view everything, that's the most important detail to consider.

Too many sub-forums, when you've only got four classes, two races and eight crafts (can't include salvaging, it's barely a craft) the subdivision amplifies the lack of content. Until the player population is significantly larger (in the tens of thousands) you can condense a bunch of forums into one for adventuring, one for primary craft, and one for gathering.

Too many sub-forums, when you've got a very limited number of people posting it simply creates the implication of emptiness by having such a small amount of content spread across so many categories. Take what I said about the classes and apply the same condensing process to every single group of sub-forums.

Don't agree with this? Fine, but please don't let your hopes for the future damage current impressions. Forums can be added later when there is adequate content to justify it. For now those extra forums simply amplify the lack of worthwhile content, thereby failing to justify their existence.

I counted 65 forums in all. There may be more since I noticed at least one sub-forum has additional sub-forums that aren't visible on the main page for the forums.

Edit: When I say the word content in this post I'm referring to forum content, not game content. If someone got that confused then they might see my post as an attack on the game, which it isn't intended to be. Take the total number of forum posts, subtract the number of posts in the two general forums, divide the remainder by forum count - 2. There's not really much content spread across the multitude of forums.

#2 Chadeaux

Chadeaux

Crusader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 01:42 PM

I simply look at the active content for today, reply to posts of relevance, and that's it.

There you go - you resolved your own issue.

But for those of us who like to delve into topics of a specific nature we can scan the options available and find the depth nicely filed in it's own forum or sub-forum.
~~~~//~~~~~\<@ knowledge speaks, wisdom listens
---@--- Jayaha Talrok Magus | Chadeaux Human Ranger | Adrios & Hokk ---@--- Posted Image

#3 Radium

Radium

Crusader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 03:46 PM

To some degree I would agree with the OP. I see three spots where news could be posted. That is two too many. I have also heard other people who were looking at the game talk about how empty the forums look. Several of the forums have not had anything posted in them for weeks. That looks bad.

Some consolidation would probably give the place an more alive feel to it. That is good for marketing I believe.

#4 Lallante

Lallante

Prophet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 22 December 2009 - 05:25 PM

It's really quite easy to use this forum system (Invision Power Board). Just click the "view new content" link at the top of the forum page. If you want to create a new post, find the most relevant sub forum and post to it.

It's a real challenge to organize or even try to plan a set up for a huge message board. Trying to predict the need of sub forums is also challenging. And, as with most things Alganon, sub forums have been requested by players themselves - and then created.

Personally, I think laying out the sub forums in a sensical manner NOW when they are not so frequented is a great idea. It's easier to add and edit on a smaller forum than it is on a bigger one in my experience.

Are there too many sub forums? *shrug* Why does it matter? Click the "view new content" link. If you don't want to participate in current posts, create your own. Or use the search feature. That IS how the forum is meant to be used.

And frankly, there are far more pressing matters for the QOL folks to address. Like, oh, server stability.

Ashla - 34 Ranger | Nia - 18 Soldier - Hokk Server, Fame & Fortune Guild
Posted Image

#5 Lallante

Lallante

Prophet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 22 December 2009 - 05:28 PM

It's really quite easy to use this forum system (Invision Power Board). Just click the "view new content" link at the top of the forum page. If you want to create a new post, find the most relevant sub forum and post to it.

It's a real challenge to organize or even try to plan a set up for a huge message board. Trying to predict the need of sub forums is also challenging. And, as with most things Alganon, sub forums have been requested by players themselves - and then created.

Personally, I think laying out the sub forums in a sensical manner NOW when they are not so frequented is a great idea. It's easier to add and edit on a smaller forum than it is on a bigger one in my experience.

Are there too many sub forums? *shrug* Why does it matter? Click the "view new content" link. If you don't want to particupate in current posts, create your own. Or use the search feature. That IS how the forums are meant to be used.

And frankly, there are far more pressing matters for the QOL folks to address. Like, oh, server stability.

p.s The reason why the forums are now subscriber only is to prevent trolls. Alganon frowns on trolling and actively deals with them. I am very, very happy to see the forums used this way. Keep out the trolls, the gold farmers and the punk griefer kids.

Posted Image

#6 Gargothen

Gargothen

Crusader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • LocationNear Detroit, MI

Posted 23 December 2009 - 05:50 AM

I only use a couple specific sub-forums... but the view new content button is awesome though. I like the way it is setup here. I also like the subscriber only forums. While you can't keep them all out... at least you can keep 98% of them. them being PITAs Posted Image

** Gargothen Dvarg - Human Ranger **

** The OldTimers Guild - Adrios Server **

#7 Calmedan

Calmedan

Patron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 24 December 2009 - 03:35 AM

I did NOT ask foir a guide on how to use the forums. Had you actually taken the time to READ my post you would have observed that I ALREADY know how to view the latest content as previously indicated.

You obviously lack significant experience deploying and maintaining forum systems. If it's a challenge to manage organised forums then I hate to think what the devs think of developing the game in terms of challenge factor. Check with the Alganon developers, I'm sure you will find it very difficult to convince them to state that the forums are a challenge to set up and maintain. They know full-well that such an admission would be a lie, unless they're incompetent. Are you saying that they're incompetent?

You think it's a great idea, well I think it's a terrible idea. As my viewpoint has been reinforced by others on these forums I will simply summarise by stating that the current forum structure is not providing a favourable impression for potential new players.

Are there too many sub forums? *shrug* Why does it matter? Click the "view new content" link. If you don't want to particupate in current posts, create your own. Or use the search feature. That IS how the forums are meant to be used.

So since your thoughts on the matter of a condensing of forums are negative you decide to tell me how to do something I already stated my awareness of, not once but twice? Come on, seriously? Did you even get past reading the subject line of my original post?

Now you're implying that the same people who develop the game client and server components are also the same people who maintain the forums? I know QoL are only two thirds the size of most development houses (i.e. 40 employees instead of approx. 60) but I would never dream of insulting them by suggesting they are so short-handed that the programmers are the same people maintaining the forums. Why on earth would you stoop so low as to insult QoL like that?

p.s The reason why the forums are now subscriber only is to prevent trolls. Alganon frowns on trolling and actively deals with them. I am very, very happy to see the forums used this way. Keep out the trolls, the gold farmers and the punk griefer kids.

Oh now this is rich. You imply that the forums are the way they are to prevent trolls. Please go back and read my original post, it is now blatantly obvious that you haven't. Well I've got news for you, your attitude is no better than that of some of the worst trolls and griefers I have ever encountered in some of the hardcore MMOs. I have presented valid points that will most definitely help create a favourable impression of the game based upon perception of activity and here you are shooting down the validity of those suggestions with counter-statements that have about as much substance as a post that is intended to incite a negative reaction.

I stand by my original efforts to help improve the perception of the game so as to potentially increase the player population. If you don't like that then so be it, just say you don't like it instead of coming up with bogus statements lacking in substance.

#8 Lallante

Lallante

Prophet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 24 December 2009 - 11:32 AM

Actually, I am not going to bother responding to your vehement attack on my previous response. There's no point. You've already got your panties in a right nasty little twist. Besides, you already know everything. Why did you bother posting at all?

If you don't like how the forums are, or are run, do not use them.

Edit: You don't know me, or what exp I have with this specific forum software even.

Furthermore, I again state the QOL's time is far better spent supporting their game, for obvious reasons. Not picking apart how many subforums there are or are not.

Posted Image

#9 jpo

jpo

Servant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationSedona, AZ

Posted 24 December 2009 - 11:33 AM

I'll keep it short....I support the OP and completely agree with his followup posts.
Tika - Talrok Ranger
Siski - Unarmored, spear wielding, Talrok Savage

#10 Lexee

Lexee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 11:26 PM

I'll keep it short too. While I agree that the forums can be very overwhelming to a new person and could use some condensing, I think the OP is a total whackjob.
Posted Image
Eldaran makes me question my faith in the ability of people to be ***holes.

#11 Tork

Tork

Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 07 January 2010 - 11:42 AM

Thanks all for the suggestions. While I will be leaving the current forum structure the way it is currently set up I'll keep the suggestion in mind for the future.
Posted Image

#12 Calmedan

Calmedan

Patron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 07 January 2010 - 01:42 PM

Thanks all for the suggestions. While I will be leaving the current forum structure the way it is currently set up I'll keep the suggestion in mind for the future.

Talk about biggest snub ever. Tork, why the hell is the poster before you allowed to break the forum rules so blatantly? Sort it out or Alganon's going to get a reputation for being the game where the rules are optionally enforced.

#13 Lexee

Lexee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 08:03 PM

Talk about biggest snub ever. Tork, why the hell is the poster before you allowed to break the forum rules so blatantly? Sort it out or Alganon's going to get a reputation for being the game where the rules are optionally enforced.

Your response to Lallante comes off like some sort of belligerent paranoid schizophrenic castigation bordering on PMS. Just sayin'
Posted Image
Eldaran makes me question my faith in the ability of people to be ***holes.

#14 Calmedan

Calmedan

Patron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 08 January 2010 - 09:58 AM

Your response to Lallante comes off like some sort of belligerent paranoid schizophrenic castigation bordering on PMS. Just sayin'

You think it's okay to break the forum rules? If you've got a problem take it up with me in a private message. In the meanwhile I encourage you to apologise and accept that you are blatantly flaunting the forum rules.

#15 Tork

Tork

Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 08 January 2010 - 01:45 PM

I feel this topic has run its course and so I'm closing it.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users