5 replies to this topic

#1 bairanax

bairanax

Prophet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 02:58 PM

I noticed while on my low level Healer, that I can mash both my attack keys for melee and wand, and they will both trigger an attack while in close quarters combat. This does significantly more damage output, considering I am waving around a two handed mace. At my level, spells are still higher damage. But I am wondering if this is intended? I could see an interesting potential, investing in mace and wand studies and ignore using spells (except heals) all together.

#2 Eldaran

Eldaran

Crusader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania, USA

Posted 13 December 2009 - 03:02 PM

I've noticed it when i've pressed both keys by accident... i just thought it was server lag or something.
Eldaran Silverhand - Human Mystic - Alchemist/ Herbalist
Matma'el server (formerly Hokk)

#3 Minuvo

Minuvo

Developer

• QOL Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 13 December 2009 - 03:07 PM

Mace and wand studies that improve your physical damage also improve your spell damage. If you get critical strike rating while wielding a mace it will apply to strikes you make with a mace as well as spells cast while holding a mace for example. This was done to make the combat studies (about 1/4 of all available studies in the game) more attractive to casters.

And to be honest, we're not terribly concerned that mashing Attack and Shoot will give you a modest damage increase. It's only an improvement at level 1 until level 2 where you get your first nuke. It's not like you can walk up and solo Vicktor Stormscar like that.

#4 morphene

morphene

Crusader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 03:56 PM

Discounting for a minute the melee damage, using a wand in close quarters combat is very viable for a healer at high levels. I'm not sure of all the details or spells involved (the embrace changes probably had something to do with it) but I watched someone killing very efficiently doing just that.

I'd encourage folks to experiment with it. If you take a common hit from the 2.5s bolt (350-400, with 20+ ability points and 300+ sp contributing) you get a dps of 140-160 which is a lot higher than the level 50 green wand drop at 100dps. However once that spell is pushed back once (-1s I believe?) you approach parity - 100-115dps. And once it's been pushed back twice the wand seems to be winning by a good margin of 100dps vs 78-90dps. The highest damage wand looks to be 120dps though very rare.

Certainly it seems like wands may be the best choice for anyone not speced for dps and push back reduction, or perhaps even if you are.

#5 Brett

Brett

Prophet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • LocationJacksonville, FL USA

Posted 13 December 2009 - 04:58 PM

I use a wand after my normal rotation (Darkside, Touch of Hatred, Word of Harming, wand...) They are usually dead by then :)
Doc
Asharr Healer (Adrios)

#6 Eldaran

Eldaran

Crusader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania, USA

Posted 13 December 2009 - 05:20 PM

I use a wand after my normal rotation (Darkside, Touch of Hatred, Word of Harming, wand...) They are usually dead by then :)

Same here, I try to get atleast 1 hit in with my wand so i keep skilling it up (ever so slowly).

And good info to know that the Mace and Wand skills up my spell damage... looks like I have some studying to do! Haha
Eldaran Silverhand - Human Mystic - Alchemist/ Herbalist
Matma'el server (formerly Hokk)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users