#1 Cinae

Cinae

Prophet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 06 December 2009 - 07:18 PM

Could there be some kind of clarification from a DEV what type of tank the Magus is meant to be, AOE or Single target?

I would assume with the abilities like shatter and the AOE taunt and a few others that let your regular AOE's give Frozen blood and the fact that SHatter does more damage, heals more for the more Frozen blood stacked around you that AOE would be the Optimum tanking role.

If I am way off base please clear me up.
Simple observations can lead to fundamentally wrong conclusions.

#2 Minuvo

Minuvo

Developer

• QOL Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 07 December 2009 - 06:45 PM

I hate responding to a post like this because it can give the impression that I'm always available to answer questions. Don't take this the wrong way: I'm not trying to rebuke you or anything but often myself and other developers don't have time to put a proper response together for a high level question like this.

But as to your answer: the magus is intended to be an AoE/add/offtank. We want the magus to be able to main tank for group content and situations where there are lots of mobs to fight. Because of the spec's structure it's not very well suited to mobs that have high yield attacks such as specials with long cooldowns or slow, heavy hitting monsters. It is ideal for large masses of monsters; the new Numb specialization is intended to make up for a lack of avoidance and scales quite nicely if you grab plenty.

To cite existing examples we like that magus are good for handling adds at Telduxx Tower but maybe not well suited for holding down the current master.

#3 Cinae

Cinae

Prophet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 07 December 2009 - 06:56 PM

I appreciate your honesty and I understand you don't have the proper time to go into detail about the mechanics of the class, which I totally understand.

I was basically just looking for a simple answer as to if it was AOE/Single target etc because I was having a discussion with someone that said it was single target only and that just didn't make sense to me. They also said they got the information from the forums and I have never seen such information anywhere.

So thankyou for clearing this up and don't take this the wrong way: Get back to work, and keep up the good job you guys are doing!

Although I can see how someone might end up reading your first paragraph there and saying, Wow I thought the devs were gonna be here to answer our questions and discuss with us as the development goes.

Honestly my first impression when I read that was, Wow they already are trying to nix the players out of the process. But I read it again and I understood where you are coming from at this time.

#4 Mhantra

Mhantra

Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted 08 December 2009 - 03:05 PM

I have been working the Frost Magus a lot since it was implemented, and definitely see it as an AOE/add/offtank class. I know I had assumed a lot before it was ever implemented, and initially thought it would be single target, but after playing one in beta and in live, I just can't see them standing up to a massive hitter.

When soloing, I find it to be the most efficient to try to put myself in a position to always pull 2 or 3, depending on the mob. Trying to kill single target-style just seems terribly inefficient. I guess that is where fire stance is better.

It is that survivability that I enjoy as a solo frost magus, though. I can stand around in a respawn area fighting AOE style and more often than not, either take an add, or at least survive it, which is more than I can say for when I was a fire magus. I just died so fast then...though the fire magus is unparallelled at single target destruction, that's for sure.

Usually, unless they are tightly grouped for a fireball/pulse bomb pull, I start with pulling one with 4 spammed frost bolts, followed by a pulse bomb on a second mob to bring it in to explode on them both. As it comes in, I hit a cone of cold to refresh the frozen bloods (keeping one 50% snared) dot him and pull away from the snared one until he dies. Also, I constantly look for another to pull into the fray, to keep as many coming in a chain as possible. If I want third at any time (and many times a third respawns and adds), I hit my condensation and make use of shatter.

This is the way of soloing for the frost magus (for me), and it makes for a very interesting and decent speed killing spree.
Xakalak; Hokk; Talrok Lifeblood Ranger
Mhantra; Adrios; Human Frost Magus

#5 Cinae

Cinae

Prophet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 08 December 2009 - 04:04 PM

I go similarly* the same route except I never use pulse bomb.

I usually pull 2-3 with a single frostbite cast to each one then when they are in closer, ether wave/ether blast/cone of frost and shatter and they all die, if they don't then another Ether blast does the job.

Mostly every time if I am not careful I end up pulling in a couple extra with ether blast since it is a circle AOE but that just means more experience and occasionaly a focus pot.

Also I almost forgot, I don't think I have ever casted Fireball more than 5 times since I got it. The cast time is just way too long, now I have tried a few times when there are 3-4 mobs standing in a group but by time it gets ready to go off they are all spread out and I don't feel like waiting for them to get back and get the timing right.

All in all, I think this will work out really well in the end. I guess the only way to know for sure is wait for the instances to open up and go from there. At that time I am sure some things might need to be tweaked or even nerfed!

Does not anyone else besides Mhantra and I play a frost magus?

#6 Mhantra

Mhantra

Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted 08 December 2009 - 08:30 PM

I think we're it plus one more! My brother checked out all the magi above lv 10 on MyAlganon, and found two besides me.

Most were Fire, and he could not find a full storm magus. Though that makes sense since there isn't a lot of grouping yet (at least, for instances and such).

I am excited for those!

Appreciate your input on frost magus, btw, thank you for that :)

#7 Garrath

Garrath

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 09:35 AM

Heya, I'm also persuing frost magus. Level 36 atm and good to see at least a couple others are looking at it.

As for pulling, yeah, I'll sometimes do the fireball/pulse pull and finish off with pbaoe or cones...But lately i've just been dual fireballing. Need a bit of a focus pool but it works. Just chain cast the instant the first one launches and if you're at max range the second fireball hits with the mobs maybe getting one round of attacks in.

Being frost build the mobs won't interrupt/set back the second fireball. You can do the same with the aoe root, back up, fireball and face a second of attacks before it launches.

I've been working at figuring out the details/tricks of aoe pulling, from running in and rounding em up to snap pulls. I've died a lot but it's fun ;)

I just know i can't live without the interrupt immunity anymore.

#8 Mhantra

Mhantra

Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted 22 December 2009 - 04:34 PM

Cool, the thread is alive again!

I did want to update my solo playstyle, for any interested. I actually love to spam frostbite up to 4 on the first two mobs I pull (very fast, low focus) because it builds up the frozen blood. I top it off with an AOE to bring it to 5, and then I can shatter them. I refresh the stacks once about every 7 seconds with another AOE to keep them at 5. This puts the Shatter as a repeatable source of AOE dmg plus self healing for longer fights.

I have almost stopped using fire spells completely now, except for the periodic DoT.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users