20 replies to this topic

#1 stitchersflock

stitchersflock

Patron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 08:01 AM

A little background ... I started playing video games about two years ago. Hubby got me hooked on Oblivion and then Guild Wars and finally WoW. I first played WOW a year ago, and loved it. I could quest on my own, with hubby, there were pets, and the lore and story were immersive. And then the WOW community came into play and I lost that enjoyment completely.

We joined a supposed "mature" guild and left within a week. I don't play games to deal with pregnant 13-year old children in my mature guild. Shortly after that, we left because I was drawn into EQ2. The guild we were in there was awesome! Mature, humorous, respectful, helpful, and fun. The only reason we left is because EQ2 isn't a game that you can pick up late and solo to "ctach-up" to other players. We joined another guild upon our return to WOW this summer, and it had more drama than the first. Ok, no pregnant teenagers but still drama galore. We left that guild too. Finally formed our own -- more for the jointly shared bank space than anything else.

What we don't want in a guild --

1. An application -- only thing we "apply" to in life, is a job. This is a game were we come to relax and enjoy ourselves, not work.
2. Drama -- if we wanted that nonsense, I'd still be working and he'd be going into an office on a daily basis. LOL Drama is best left on stage.
3. Taxes and/or Mandatory Donations -- we are more than happy to contribute to any guild we join, be it in time, crafting, help, or gold but the moment anything becomes mandatory then it becomes a job or a legal obligation and well, that's not playing a game.

What we are looking for in a guild --

1. A place to call home -- friendly, mature adults that can relax and enjoy one another's company
2. Helpful -- we try to always be helpful (I have more free time than hubby) but not at the expense of our own playtime
3. Community -- I am TIRED TIRED TIRED of elite attitudes and whiners. I want to enjoy the community we join and not be worried about maintaining my rank and/or gear to be allowed to be a continuing member of said community.
4. Roleplay -- always an option for him, something I'm interested in but by no means would it be 100% for either of us -- although given the developing lore of the game that may change. lol
5. Positive Atmosphere -- relaxed, casual, fun loving, humorous, guildmates that play a game. Grinding is the gaming word for work, and we play to play not to work.
6. Vent optional -- not opposed to vent at all, but that being said, hubby works from home and so vent during working hours is not always possible. And until we get to know new guildmates, we would be vent leary.

After this HUGE wall of text, sorry no true way around it, are there are guilds out that on the HUMAN side that might come close? In case it matters, I'm 41 and he's 39. We don't have little ones (other than the furry kind) but real life definitely comes first here. :no:

#2 Amarra

Amarra

Crusader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 08:36 AM

This is the type of guild I would like to join as well. I will be watching this thread closely. Thanks for posting :thumbsup:

#3 Radium

Radium

Crusader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 08:49 AM

It sounds like Old Timer's Guild might work for you. However when you say no application that might not work. I am not sure how you can not have an application and still keep the maturity level up. If you mean you do not want to fill out an application to see if you are elite enough then it will work for you.

I have found with a community of 5000 members it is refreshing to move from game to game and not have to wonder about the stability and drama factors you mention.

Here is a link that tells you what does get involved:

http://www.oldtimers....php?f=707&a=35

If that is to much for you then I do wish you good fortunes in your search and hope to see you both in game.

#4 stitchersflock

stitchersflock

Patron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 08:51 AM

It sounds like Old Timer's Guild might work for you. However when you say no application that might not work. I am not sure how you can not have an application and still keep the maturity level up. If you mean you do not want to fill out an application to see if you are elite enough then it will work for you.

I have found with a community of 5000 members it is refreshing to move from game to game and not have to wonder about the stability and drama factors you mention.

Here is a link that tells you what does get involved:

http://www.oldtimers....php?f=707&a=35

If that is to much for you then I do wish you good fortunes in your search and hope to see you both in game.

Thanks for the kind offer, but an application is an application. The very fact you have to pre-screen potential members outside of the game bothers us to no end. Good luck

#5 Radium

Radium

Crusader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 09:05 AM

Thanks for the kind offer, but an application is an application. The very fact you have to pre-screen potential members outside of the game bothers us to no end. Good luck

So, may I ask, how would you avoid having the pregnant 13 year old with all the drama if you do not ask some questions? If find this very puzzling and would be interested in a solution. Every guild I have been in that did not require something was just a zerg guild. But if you have a way to do it without screening I would love to see it work. :)

#6 stitchersflock

stitchersflock

Patron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 09:11 AM

So, may I ask, how would you avoid having the pregnant 13 year old with all the drama if you do not ask some questions? If find this very puzzling and would be interested in a solution. Every guild I have been in that did not require something was just a zerg guild. But if you have a way to do it without screening I would love to see it work. :)

Simple ... screening in-game is MUCH more effective and efficient. You get a feel for how someone acts, behaves, and plays when you actually game with them. It is far too easy to get a real life "adult" to submit an application for you for a guild. An application, imo, isn't anywhere near as effective as actual playtime with someone.

#7 Valhakar

Valhakar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!.... AZ

Posted 30 November 2009 - 09:23 AM

Stitchers. Well said, but then again I married you for a reason. :woot:

Radium, thank you for your interest. However the fact that there is an external site and external steps is what currently ails online gaming. A game is a fantasy arena and using outside tools to organize it, just ruins the experience. On top of that "most" overly organized guilds are EQ2/WOW based in their battle development. After talking to the GMs, I am fairly sure that this game will be skills over drills. "Knowing the fight" will not apply for reasons I cannot discuss. Lets just say the average "uber guild" will find they are blowing their cool-downs on empty ground, until they get their head out of their WOW. :smile:

In a nutshell, this game will not be about spreadsheets and numbers. :no:

Other things on the "no" list":

No ranks. If I wanted "ye grande olde fantasy" with ranks, I would participate in SCA events. In real life I have "won" and not many can touch what I have accomplished. Last thing I need is a game to have some burger flipper with no life be my "superior".

No mandatory specs/gearing. If I want to run around in dodge mail and dual wield weapons on my soldier, there is a reason. May not be be the best reason in your opinion, but there is a reason.

No "speed of light" leveling/ dungeon runs / questing. I am PLAYING a game and having FUN. If you want to "accomplish" something, see 2 points above. Your accomplishments matter in the real world, go grind them there.

OK now the "have" list:

Have a good attitude. Now just friendly but the ability to get one's rear handed to them and not start the blame game. "UR SPEC SUX" is not a constructive assessment and will get you ignored ASAP.

Have the ability to play the game in the game. I don't do Facebook, I don't want to visit you MSN "corporate" calendar, I don't want game stuff popping up on my Blackberry. If the misses and I choose to explore a relationship with anyone outside the game, it is a choice. Rarely happens too.

Have open trading. Any guild that regulates trade goods pricing, sales, and crafting restrictions is a communist. I am a capitalist (hence me having the ability to have a wife who is a home maker AND work from home 100%)

Gotta run to the dentist, I am sure I missed a few.
No matter where you go, there you are.

#8 Gargothen

Gargothen

Crusader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • LocationNear Detroit, MI

Posted 30 November 2009 - 09:58 AM

I 100% agree with Stitch, Val and Amarra on this. Maybe we should meet up in game? Posted Image This is the kind of atmosphere that I am looking for and the kind of people I want to play with.

Let me know what server and side you guys will be on and if you join a guild like this. I have not made any firm plans as to where I will go yet or what side I will be on. I am just looking for some cool people to hang with.

** Gargothen Dvarg - Human Ranger **

** The OldTimers Guild - Adrios Server **

#9 stitchersflock

stitchersflock

Patron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 10:05 AM

I 100% agree with Stitch, Val and Amarra on this. Maybe we should meet up in game? Posted Image This is the kind of atmosphere that I am looking for and the kind of people I want to play with.

Let me know what server and side you guys will be on and if you join a guild like this. I have not made any firm plans as to where I will go yet or what side I will be on. I am just looking for some cool people to hang with.

Val and I will be human and I don't yet know what server. If we find a guild I'll let you know. I'll also post what server we end up on and who our primary toons are. :-)

#10 Gargothen

Gargothen

Crusader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 12:13 PM

Awesome... I look forward to meeting ya in game Posted Image

#11 Brett

Brett

Prophet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • LocationJacksonville, FL USA

Posted 30 November 2009 - 12:23 PM

WoW, you all sound like my kind of gamers!

I could not have said what I like in a guild better. Here here!
(I dislike vent and will never join a guild that has that as a requirement; I am a police officer and an audible-type person so I do not want to listen to others chatting about God knows what while I am playing)

I have only been in two guilds that I did not leave shortly thereafter for exactly the same reasons you left yours. One was in WoW and ran by a husband and wife. For the life of me, I can't remember the name, but I know I could go back into my history and find out if I needed to. I never left the guild, but I left the game for real life reasons at the time.

The other guild was my first online gaming experience with DAoC. I know for a fact that I got incredibly lucky and was a founding member on the first day of release. I never left that guild either, but when WoW beta came out (very, very early beta), I left DAoC.

All that said, I am very much intersted in the guild that all join or start. I too will be on the human side (was thinking Adrios for sure since I believe that will be the most populated).
Doc
Asharr Healer (Adrios)

#12 Hakiem

Hakiem

Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts
  • LocationSanctuary

Posted 30 November 2009 - 12:47 PM

/e whispers "Old But Not Dead" Adrios human side.

No vent.

No application.

No pvp (unless you really want to)

No drama.

We have naptime.(hey we're old, we need naps)

We have playstyle that is laid back.

We have cookies and pies (no cake eaters please, will only if you come with chocolate milk).

Come have fun with us.

Just Us,
Tim & Trisha
Posted Image
Characters on Servers: Human- Lazarus Cadfael Gandalf & Redcomyn. Kujix - Roland Loki Shadowspawn & Knightlife. Fun is the name of the Game.

#13 Brett

Brett

Prophet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 01:02 PM

Sounds good Tim & Trisha, :cool:

I will look you up in-game tonight. I said hey last night (on Doc) and still haven't made up my mind....ranger or healer :blink:

I hope the others in the thread (including the OP, who hit the nail on the head btw) will join up as well.

I do like cake with naptime though.../looks around for a bottle of choclate milk :ninja:
Doc
Asharr Healer (Adrios)

#14 Brian1317855582

Brian1317855582

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 01:28 PM

Hi Tim and Trisha,

I fit the 'Old' part for sure and I am fairly certain that I am not 'Dead.' I also am interested in your guild. I will start my Healer in Adrios tomorrow and maybe we can connect. (I haven't settled on a name for him/her yet though.) I would be happy to contribute to the cost of buying the guild. (I hope to have a gold sometime tomorrow or Wednesday.)

#15 Kalsydor

Kalsydor

Prophet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationItasca, Illinois

Posted 30 November 2009 - 07:28 PM

I have this scary feeling most players are heading toward human side due to (I posted this somewhere the other day) people love to play something they can identify with.

I wish there had been something more concrete on the other side of the realm - I don't see the other side appealing either :/
Kalsydor Locklsey ~ Templar ~
Guardian of Pilgrims

#16 Swordmage

Swordmage

Crusader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts
  • LocationCentral New Jersey

Posted 30 November 2009 - 10:22 PM

I have this scary feeling most players are heading toward human side due to (I posted this somewhere the other day) people love to play something they can identify with.

I wish there had been something more concrete on the other side of the realm - I don't see the other side appealing either :/

I have heard from a number of people who are simply avoiding the Talrok side since they feel that side isn't as polished as the Human side but plan to move there eventually.

Adrios Characters (Armstrong) in the OldTimers Guild:
Thendora - Soldier // Melrose - Ranger // Thorke - Healer // Kethrin - Magus

#17 Cadfael

Cadfael

Patron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationShropshire England (Shrewsbury Abbey)

Posted 30 November 2009 - 10:42 PM

I have heard from a number of people who are simply avoiding the Talrok side since they feel that side isn't as polished as the Human side but plan to move there eventually.

And no ogres'.
Can I help you find a potion?

#18 Swordmage

Swordmage

Crusader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts
  • LocationCentral New Jersey

Posted 30 November 2009 - 10:47 PM

And no ogres'.

Yet

Adrios Characters (Armstrong) in the OldTimers Guild:
Thendora - Soldier // Melrose - Ranger // Thorke - Healer // Kethrin - Magus

#19 Gargothen

Gargothen

Crusader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 04:18 AM

I am on Adrios as a Human Ranger named Gargothen Dvarg. Posted Image

#20 Brett

Brett

Prophet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 07:31 AM

Folks,
Contact Hakiem/Gandalf/Lazarus (and a whole other slew of names) in game.

We got the charter created last night but I had to run to work (sorry Hakiem for rushing it, but I was working off-duty at a bar and didn't want to leave my partner hanging cause its super crowded).

I am at work now and hope he got the rest of it signed off and the guild created :thumbsup:

Looking forward to seeing you all in game some more!
Doc
Asharr Healer (Adrios)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users