• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Tinydus

Tinydus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 06:35 PM

First of all, this "WoW cloning" arguement isn't going to stop. It isn't going to stop until you Alganon defenders give up.

Alganon is copying WoW in way too many ways. Just admit it. Examples later, but first...

I do not want anyone replying back saying "Well, WoW copied other games because of dungeons and experience and stuff." I'm not talking about using an idea. I'm talking about copying and pasting.

Example #1: UI. Like explained above, I'm not talking about the actionbars at the bottom, or the minimap on the top right. I'm talking about unit frames being the EXACT same. Your picture with your level to the bottom left. Your name ontop of your health and system bar. The shape copies WoW exactly, and no other game. Minimap has the same texturing, but also the exact same shape, even the compass and zoom in and zoom out buttons are in the same place. Also, interesting action bars and bags.

Example #2: Soldiers and Warriors. This isn't copying an idea like WoW did. This is copying everything. Rage and Anger are the exact same. Both classes have 3 stances that are designed for the same thing.

Example #3: Ability points, and talents. Same thing. Same way of spending them. Same way of gaining them. What's different about them? Three different trees with a whole bunch of static improvements.

Example #4: Icon and graphics copy. Im not going to copy and paste everything from the other thread here, but go look for the thread to see what we mean.

Example #5: Lore copies. Titans and "fek'zah" or w/e they are. Go look up the beginning of the WoW universe, and then the beginning of Alganons, and tell me if you can find a large difference.

Also, small parts like the Tips. The LFG is the exact same as WoW beta. Social is opened through O, just like in WoW. Action Book opened through P, interesting. Main menu just so happens to have the exact same that WoW has.

No other games has ever ripped off another like this. It's well known in the MMORPG community that the developers designed this off of WoW.

I honestly hope that this is Blizzard playing a prank on us, or that this is all fake, because this may be the biggest game rip off in history.

I dare you to respond...

#2 Amarra

Amarra

Crusader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 06:52 PM

Amin n'rangwa edanea. :wacko:

#3 Swordmage

Swordmage

Crusader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts
  • LocationCentral New Jersey

Posted 28 November 2009 - 07:32 PM

This has all be asked and answer before. If you are interested in the answers already provided both by current beta testers and by the developers I would suggest you read through the recent forum threads on the subject.

Adrios Characters (Armstrong) in the OldTimers Guild:
Thendora - Soldier // Melrose - Ranger // Thorke - Healer // Kethrin - Magus

#4 Hakiem

Hakiem

Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts
  • LocationSanctuary

Posted 28 November 2009 - 08:12 PM

First of all, this "WoW cloning" arguement isn't going to stop. It isn't going to stop until you Alganon defenders give up.

Alganon is copying WoW in way too many ways. Just admit it. Examples later, but first...
I dare you to respond...

Obviously you care very deeply in what you're trying to convince us of. I don't know why I say us other then I'm a player/tester of the game called Alganon.

But quite frankly I DON'T CARE.

I don't care if they copied and pasted every bit of code from WoW.
I don't care if they copy every word from the bible or any other literature and paste it in the heavens above my characters head.
I DON'T CARE.

I've paid my dime and I'm going to be playing the game and having fun.

If these people get sued or shut down I DON'T CARE.

It might happen, who knows. Do you see it in your crystal ball? Guess what, I DON'T CARE.

Just Me,
Tim
Characters on Servers: Human- Lazarus Cadfael Gandalf & Redcomyn. Kujix - Roland Loki Shadowspawn & Knightlife. Fun is the name of the Game.

#5 Shadovarn

Shadovarn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 09:49 PM

Oh you wow cretins are just makin my heart bleed with all your cryin.

Actually it's rather unfortunate that you cockroaches found us so quickly. But I guess I shouldn't be surprised when Qol published its state of the game on Zam.

None of anything you crybabies say here has any merit or value whatsoever, because wow is and has been dying for at least the last 3 years plain and simple. Everyone knows that but you. Why do you think even Blizzard has officially announced it's making one more expansion in a last ditch attempt to bring players back? Nobody comes here looking to play a game that's like wow. If people wanted to play something like wow they would play wow. Alganon is not going to be f2p. So there is NO legitimate argument that you could logically produce with any grain of truth or sanity or credibility to it. NONE.

I sense at least one of you is a wow flunky. You're just jealous that someone else has made a game with similar graphics and a whole slew of other features that wow players suggested you include in wow but never did, because you were much too busy bedding down with gold farming and leveling services to give a ###### what the players really wanted. You had your chance. I'm so glad you came here and wasted at least two hours of your life pounding out a post as big as Texas. That makes me feel great.

Have a nice day, scumbag(s).

Nice ad hominem btw.

First you claim they are implementing features Blizzard never did. Like what? What unique feature has been implemented that Blizzard hasn't put in? The Study system? While it is nice, I've never seen it asked in the GD, or Suggestions. I truly found no features that were put in this game that werent in WoW.

Also, some of the plagirism claims don't seem to be all that baseless. I'm not talking about UI, nor Art. I'm talking about the Soldier. Its very spells are the same as the Warrior's from WoW. I can ignore using the same mechanic for spell costs (Rage, Anger, it's the same.). What I can't ignore is that just talking to the trainer, I can see a line up that is nearly identical to the Warrior's Ability list. I can get some spells would be similar, but not this many. Rugged Yell -> Battle Shout (SAme freaking effect and duration).
Mangle -> Rend (Once again, same effect, it also seems to be the same dmg too.) Focused Strike is generic enough, that can be overlooked. Shield Slam? Just slamming a shield into someones face, generic enough. Hamstring? Calling out a specific attack on a leg, generic enough I suppose. Cleave? Slightly generic, they have greater cleave, so I have to assume that they got it from D&D. While there are generic sounding things on it, what tied it together is the point at which the Soldier gets the spells. Save a few spells, they are almost identical to the point in time a warrior gets them in WoW.
To top it all off, the Stances. They are exactly the same as the ones from WoW, save a slightly different name.

Also, WoW hasn't been dying the past "3 years". If that's so, Blizzard must be a company of necromancers. The sub numbers rose monthly, peaking 11 Mil. However, they only lost subs with the whole issue in China and its damn protectionist laws.

Also, Cataclysm has been in the works about half way throught the PRODUCTION of WotLK. It was stated by Blizzard they were also working on another expac at the same time as WotLK.

Also, regualr content patches are not the sign of a dying game, but the opposite.

If anything, your screaming and crying seems to have "NO legitimate argument that you could logically produce with any grain of truth or sanity or credibility to it. NONE."

#6 RaptorJesus

RaptorJesus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 09:52 PM

Why do you think even Blizzard has officially announced it's making one more expansion in a last ditch attempt to bring players back?

Cataclym is 'a last ditch attempt'?
Now that we'll be finishing Icecrown Citadel, WotLK is pretty much over. What do you think Blizzard is gonna do? End the game? No, there going to make more money and continue the series.

#7 RaptorJesus

RaptorJesus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 10:22 PM

I'm not saying it will never die. I'm just saying that Cataclysm is not a last ditch attempt.

Edited by RaptorJesus, 28 November 2009 - 10:24 PM.

#8 lingfeng

lingfeng

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 11:15 PM

Oh you wow cretins are just makin my heart bleed with all your cryin.

Actually it's rather unfortunate that you cockroaches found us so quickly. But I guess I shouldn't be surprised when Qol published its state of the game on Zam.

None of anything you crybabies say here has any merit or value whatsoever, because wow is and has been dying for at least the last 3 years plain and simple. Everyone knows that but you. Why do you think even Blizzard has officially announced it's making one more expansion in a last ditch attempt to bring players back? Nobody comes here looking to play a game that's like wow. If people wanted to play something like wow they would play wow. Alganon is not going to be f2p. So there is NO legitimate argument that you could logically produce with any grain of truth or sanity or credibility to it. NONE.

I sense at least one of you is a wow flunky. You're just jealous that someone else has made a game with similar graphics and a whole slew of other features that wow players suggested you include in wow but never did, because you were much too busy bedding down with gold farming and leveling services to give a ###### what the players really wanted. You had your chance. I'm so glad you came here and wasted at least two hours of your life pounding out a post as big as Texas. That makes me feel great.

Have a nice day, scumbag(s).

/golfclap

I... don't even know what to say to this. You're insulting the playerbase of a game, yet seem to be a rabid fanboy/girl of a game that is a BLATANT ripoff of said game. Name one thing besides the study system that is not a copy-paste of WoW (like that "whole slew of features" you mentioned in your post). The UI is practically identical. There are talent trees with three specs. Even the character creation screen looks like a tweaked clone. Soldiers use "anger" and have a battle, berserker, and defensive stance. I have seen next to nothing original about this game.

You say you're not here to play something that's like WoW, but here you are, wanting to play something that's like WoW. With worse graphics.

And anybody who says that WoW will never die is obviously lying or kidding themselves; pretty much every game will eventually die. But we're not discussing the lifespan and/or death of WoW, we're discussing Alganon being a copy-paste of WoW.

#9 Voltron

Voltron

Patron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 11:24 PM

This post and troll king that is the OP, is just a blatant attempt to anger or impale those that like Alganon with a wow tipped harpoon.

WOW talent points: Talent points were used in many games, Diablo, etc. Today. Torchlight, etc. Talent points were used in Anarchy Online. those trees that are in WOW have been around forever, in fact, they resemble the family tree, you know, the ones that link this relative from 100 years ago to you today!

WOW is a carbon copy of Warhammer, that's why so much of Warhammer Online had to be redone before release, because Blizzard stole so much concept art, etc. from the Warhammer Universe.

And then they stole the ability to Que for pvp instances from Warhammer Online as well, which is in the game today ...

Death knights? They are carbon copies of the ice knights from George RR Martin's Fire & Ice series. The list goes on and on.

Wow is a great game, I love it. I like Alganon too, but I don't feel like I'm playing WOW when I log into Alganon, I feel like I'm playing a completely different game.

So QQ away, MR. OP, but if there is a lawsuit, then let the big boys handle it where it belongs, in a court of law, not in these forums, where no one cares about you or what you have to say.

Buh-bye

#10 Voltron

Voltron

Patron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 11:29 PM

Okay, for those that don't get it, let me explain:

"DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!"

They are evil little critters with bottomless pits for stomachs, they will consume everything you throw at them, and regift it back at you but with the parts they found easiest to turn against you.

Leave this little puke-mucus-blob to go hungry and he will DESPAWN eventually.

I promise!

#11 Dragabain

Dragabain

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 11:34 PM

This post and troll king that is the OP, is just a blatant attempt to anger or impale those that like Alganon with a wow tipped harpoon.

WOW talent points: Talent points were used in many games, Diablo, etc. Today. Torchlight, etc. Talent points were used in Anarchy Online. those trees that are in WOW have been around forever, in fact, they resemble the family tree, you know, the ones that link this relative from 100 years ago to you today!

WOW is a carbon copy of Warhammer, that's why so much of Warhammer Online had to be redone before release, because Blizzard stole so much concept art, etc. from the Warhammer Universe.

And then they stole the ability to Que for pvp instances from Warhammer Online as well, which is in the game today ...

Death knights? They are carbon copies of the ice knights from George RR Martin's Fire & Ice series. The list goes on and on.

Wow is a great game, I love it. I like Alganon too, but I don't feel like I'm playing WOW when I log into Alganon, I feel like I'm playing a completely different game.

So QQ away, MR. OP, but if there is a lawsuit, then let the big boys handle it where it belongs, in a court of law, not in these forums, where no one cares about you or what you have to say.

Buh-bye

Diablo was made by Blizzard Entertainment. Its a well known fact they blended Diablo and Warcraft to make World of Warcraft. Its their IP.

Second, Warhammer was supposed to be "THE WOW DESTROYER" meaning it came AFTER wow. Check the release date.

Wow's Release November 2004
Warhammer's Release - September 2008

Also George RR Martin's Fire & Ice series was copywrited in 2008. WOTLK was released in 2008...meaning Deathknights had been planned for a good year or so beforehand.

#12 Shadovarn

Shadovarn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 11:41 PM

Buh-bye

Just a minor notelist.

Only the original Warcraft a copy of Warhammer. However, I only saw it truly apply to the Orcs. The stroyline was different, and they used the generics of fantasy. However, the orcish horde was modeled after the orks from Warhammer.

I think Diablo started with the talent tree system, it's the earliest I could find, which is also a Blizzard game.

WoW itself came out well before WAR was even in production. At that time, Dawn of War was being made instead (A WH40K RTS). However, Warhammer, fantasy not 40k, is heavy on the Black and White morality. The Warcraft universe went from BW morality to Grey on Gray morality. Orcs became less of the RAWR savage to the proud warrior guy. What started out as WH orks became the orcs from Blizzard. A point of taking something and putting your own innovations to it.

Also, WoW had the Queue system when the battlegrounds were released in Vanilla, well before WAR production started.

Death knights are tricky. They could be the death Knights from D&D, a heavy source of inspriation if you'll note, and they could be the F&I Ice Knights.
Or they could be an algamation. I'm not sure, The Song of F&I is a on my read list, but it's got a ways to go.

While the OP was probably a troll, I find it hard to believe the Soldier class isn't a carbon copy of WoW's warrior class.

#13 Striid

Striid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 01:32 AM

I read up until I saw you said, "I do not want anyone replying back saying "Well, WoW copied other games because of dungeons and experience and stuff." I'm not talking about using an idea. I'm talking about copying and pasting."

Not very much, but enough to give me the impression, you are an ill educated lout.

If you want a discussion, take all sides of it. Otherwise, you are just another punk trying to force his opinions on others; which frankly, makes people more likely to ignore you.

WoW DID steal concepts, ideas, and a bunch of other stuff from other games. Alganon does the same thing! All MMO's do the same thing!

I played Everquest when it was released until WoW came out. Everquest was almost the first MMORPG to be released (I think Ultima Online was first), so every MMORPG since then, has stolen from EQ and UO.

You talk about copying and pasting. Every MMORPG after WoW, is going to look similar. The action bars will be in the same location, set up to be easy to learn (which is what WoW introduced), the health/mana/name/rage thing on upper right will look the same.

When I first started Everquest, I had no idea what the heck I was doing for the first week. World of Warcraft, I learned in a day. You honestly think companies aren't going to go with what is easiest for the players? In some cases, yes; but when it comes to EVERY SECOND YOU PLAY things, such as action bars, they will make it as easy as possible for the players.

City of Heroes/Villains, Aion, Champion's Online, Everquest 2, D&DO, all these games have almost exact matches for World of Warcraft's user interface. And to get into details, I'm pretty sure EQ2 came out before WoW (though, only by a couple months if I remember).

There are only so many ways to do things and make it easier for the players. Stop complaining about things looking similar, because all MMO's since WoW's release will look similar to WoW!

World of Warcraft stole many many ideas from many many different MMO's, and I say stole because they used the best options for the players! Exactly what Alganon is doing.

Deal with it, ill educated lout.

#14 lingfeng

lingfeng

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 01:42 AM

I read up until I saw you said, "I do not want anyone replying back saying "Well, WoW copied other games because of dungeons and experience and stuff." I'm not talking about using an idea. I'm talking about copying and pasting."

Not very much, but enough to give me the impression, you are an ill educated lout.

If you want a discussion, take all sides of it. Otherwise, you are just another punk trying to force his opinions on others; which frankly, makes people more likely to ignore you.

WoW DID steal concepts, ideas, and a bunch of other stuff from other games. Alganon does the same thing! All MMO's do the same thing!

I played Everquest when it was released until WoW came out. Everquest was almost the first MMORPG to be released (I think Ultima Online was first), so every MMORPG since then, has stolen from EQ and UO.

You talk about copying and pasting. Every MMORPG after WoW, is going to look similar. The action bars will be in the same location, set up to be easy to learn (which is what WoW introduced), the health/mana/name/rage thing on upper right will look the same.

When I first started Everquest, I had no idea what the heck I was doing for the first week. World of Warcraft, I learned in a day. You honestly think companies aren't going to go with what is easiest for the players? In some cases, yes; but when it comes to EVERY SECOND YOU PLAY things, such as action bars, they will make it as easy as possible for the players.

City of Heroes/Villains, Aion, Champion's Online, Everquest 2, D&DO, all these games have almost exact matches for World of Warcraft's user interface. And to get into details, I'm pretty sure EQ2 came out before WoW (though, only by a couple months if I remember).

There are only so many ways to do things and make it easier for the players. Stop complaining about things looking similar, because all MMO's since WoW's release will look similar to WoW!

World of Warcraft stole many many ideas from many many different MMO's, and I say stole because they used the best options for the players! Exactly what Alganon is doing.

I've played Aion. It does NOT have an identical interface to WoW's. There are some similarities, but it does not look exactly like WoW's. UI aside, the similarities between thing such as, for example, Alganon's soldier and WoW's warrior are clearly apparent.

In my mind, there is a difference between being influenced by another game and drawing ideas from another game, and copying that game directly with little to no effort to make your game seem original.

It's sort of like if you were to write a paper for a class. You do your research, you draw ideas and knowledge from outside sources, but then when you sit down to write your paper, do you paraphrase and put things into your own words (with citations, obviously) and come up with some of your own ideas, or do you copy half of a paragraph nearly word for word and try to call it your own? (Hint, I'm pretty sure most schools frown upon the second option).

That's how I see it, at least. Nobody denies that WoW drew influence from other games, or that any game is likely to draw influence from other games. But games like, for example, Aion, had (I thought) some creative ideas, what with the aerial combat, fortress raids and the whole PvPvE thing going on, rifting and whatnot. Aside from the studying concept in Alganon, I have not seen a single innovative, creative, original, etc. thing.

#15 Shadovarn

Shadovarn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 01:44 AM

Caveat.

You must understand that you can take a base concept, change it, and use it as your own without being yelled at for copying. That's call innovation or improving. For example, car companies.

However, outright taking something and using it without any real changes is called copying. When you claim that MMO's copy from other MMO's, you fail to realize what they actually do.

For example.
http://i30.photobuck...14_21_16_37.jpg
http://www.blogcdn.c...7/12/os1203.jpg
http://www.wonderlan...0907_125603.jpg

The third one is WoW, the other two I'm not sure about, but I think the second might be DAoC or Asheron's Call 2.

Notice how each game has a similar UI in concept, but distinctly different in implemention and style.
Did they copy each other? No. They merely borrowed a concept and utilized it for thier game in their way.

#16 Snopingas

Snopingas

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 02:09 AM

i'll just leave this deer.

Posted Image

but srsly: http://img69.imagesh...9/failganon.jpg

#17 Striid

Striid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 03:07 AM

To those :

http://www.vginterfa...ads/full111.jpg

Only decent UI for EQ2 I could find. EQ2 allows you to move stuff wherever you want, but it's VERY similar to World of Warcraft's. With the obvious exception that EQ2's interface is 10x better because you can move things without an addon (and the game sucks).

I'm just pointing out that you can't say Algalon is stealing features, or copying them, because every MMO is doing it. WoW did it, Algalon is doing it, so will the next 100 MMO's that are released.

Just tired of all the crying about it. Blizzard can't press any legal issues, as no source code was stolen, and Blizzard has no legal right to the way their interfaces look. With every new MMO, people start crying that it's stealing from WoW, and it's stupid. World of Warcraft has some great features, and is a great game (I have 2 WoW accounts!), but trolling forums for a game just to troll, is one of the most idiotic things someone can do.

It's just stupid.

#18 Tinydus

Tinydus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 11:14 AM

To those :

http://www.vginterfa...ads/full111.jpg

Only decent UI for EQ2 I could find. EQ2 allows you to move stuff wherever you want, but it's VERY similar to World of Warcraft's. With the obvious exception that EQ2's interface is 10x better because you can move things without an addon (and the game sucks).

I'm just pointing out that you can't say Algalon is stealing features, or copying them, because every MMO is doing it. WoW did it, Algalon is doing it, so will the next 100 MMO's that are released.

Just tired of all the crying about it. Blizzard can't press any legal issues, as no source code was stolen, and Blizzard has no legal right to the way their interfaces look. With every new MMO, people start crying that it's stealing from WoW, and it's stupid. World of Warcraft has some great features, and is a great game (I have 2 WoW accounts!), but trolling forums for a game just to troll, is one of the most idiotic things someone can do.

It's just stupid.

Everyone here is failing to read the beginning of the post. We all know the games take some ideas and change them. Games do NOT copy the EXACT unit frame and mini map. Almost every spell for Warrior and Solider are the same.

When we say copying, we dont mean borrowing some IDEAS. We mean taking the entire part that they want and putting it directly into their new game.

Go ahead and tell me one difference between the unit frames. A single one. Now go find another game that has the exact same unit frames (or anything else for that matter) as another game. Do the same with Warrior and Soldier. Do the same with the minimap, and the texturing.

Alganon is the first game to completely take something from a game and just copy and paste it. FIRST AND ONLY.

#19 stitchersflock

stitchersflock

Patron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 12:11 PM

Everyone here is failing to read the beginning of the post. We all know the games take some ideas and change them. Games do NOT copy the EXACT unit frame and mini map. Almost every spell for Warrior and Solider are the same.

When we say copying, we dont mean borrowing some IDEAS. We mean taking the entire part that they want and putting it directly into their new game.

Go ahead and tell me one difference between the unit frames. A single one. Now go find another game that has the exact same unit frames (or anything else for that matter) as another game. Do the same with Warrior and Soldier. Do the same with the minimap, and the texturing.

Alganon is the first game to completely take something from a game and just copy and paste it. FIRST AND ONLY.

I tried so hard not to feed the trolls, but I gotta ask ... Tiny why are you here? You have zero interest in this game. GO back to WOW, I'm sure on the WOW boards you will find others who will support your narrow minded view of reality.

Done feeding the troll

#20 RaptorJesus

RaptorJesus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 12:31 PM

He's not trolling, he's bringing up valid points.
One of them is the Soldier Class. How can you call that unique, when half of it is ripped from World of Warcraft?

Both of them generate their rage (anger for your soldier) through combat.
Both require rage for some of their actions.
They both have three stances that are pretty much the same

Tactical Stance/Battle Stance
Weaponry Stance/Berserker Stance
Defensive Stance/Defensive Stance

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users