#1 Tork

Tork

Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 04 November 2009 - 04:42 PM

Jason Van Horn over at MPOGD sat down with David Allen and Hue Henry to discuss Alganon.

This interview is lengthy and a good read for anyone interested in more details about Alganon. Topic covered include Races, the Dual-role system, Studies and a whole lot more. Head over and read the whole article here.
Posted Image

#2 Jonrobin

Jonrobin

Prophet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationKingsport, Tn

Posted 04 November 2009 - 06:33 PM

All I can say is WOW! (not the game, the sentiment) Those are some exciting, impressive plans. I've never been in on the ground floor of a game with so much potential before. Also the interaction between players and devs both on forums and ingame just simply blows me away. Reading that interview carefully show the detailed, extensive planning that has already gone into Alganon. Bravo! You've won my loyalty.
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way you'll be a mile away, and you'll have their shoes ! Posted Image

#3 Radium

Radium

Crusader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 08:38 PM

Very good read. Each one of these I read gives me a little more insight to the game and where it is heading.

#4 allisyia

allisyia

Crusader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts
  • LocationLancaster, UK

Posted 05 November 2009 - 09:19 AM

Fantastic interview, with lots of detail on different aspects of Alganon that I wasn't aware of. I like the idea of how the dual specc will work, plus the fact that it looks like pve builds won't later be nerfed for pvp fans. I also love the idea of the deities, the families, the library, the events, the participation of developers ... All of it really.

I'm still very excited about this game and looking forward to remaining a part of the community here for some time to come.

Take care,

Mia/Oshi
Kujix: Oshimara, Ranger and Miashima, Healer
Asharr: Allisyia, Healer and Lliannah, Magus

#5 Hyuu

Hyuu

QOL Developer

• QOL Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 05 November 2009 - 02:20 PM

My favorite part is that one of the screenshots was obviously taken as a Talrok in Andar, all the names are in red.

TOOOOOORRRRK! :biggrin:

#6 aleonia

aleonia

Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 02:44 PM

TOOOOOORRRRK!

Why do I get the feeling that this phrase is often uttered in QOL-land. *snicker*
Aldarne Balmordae - Talrok Ranger on Adrios
Jalnarae & Rendarnai Balmordae - Talrok Magus & Soldier on Adrios

#7 c1oudrs

c1oudrs

Crusader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 04:16 PM

Well, everyone has their opinion and I've been watching for awhile and this is what I think.

Strengths of Alganon: vision, listening to the community, great progamming team, stupendous attitudes, potential for an extremely fun game. These are the areas where the Alganon team/management/game shines and where they shine they REALLY shine like no one els. Yes, I believe--I signed up for a year.

Shortcomings(arguably): tendency to add(or mention) features before the old ones get hammered out (so instead of dealing with basic interface bugs they are dealing with feature bugs and they end up with more bugs than when they started or else they end up dropping/crippling the features and people are disappointed); tendency to underestimate the time a project will take because they failed to allow extra time for unforseen difficulties; tendency to overlook business issues; tendency to overlook the importance of first and last impressions . . .

It is not enough to do something--that "something" must be done right. In my opinion, for the next few weeks above all basic playability should be polished. If the bugs that we already know about get squashed--then more features can be added. (If these things get fixed before launch--the very next 'feature' ought to be a tutorial/tutorial quests for newcomers in my opinion.)

In regards to the action bar interface for example, take the studies that are touted in every single public relations interview. Every new player in their first session will click on the studies. What will they find? Will they find tooltips? library entries where necessary to help them with the game? How hard will it be to move the studies from the left hand column to the right hand column? To move the studies up on the q?

Quests: how easy/hard is it to click the npcs? To click the 'accept' button? How easy is it to figure out what the symbol is at the top of each npc? Does the minimap guide take you to the quest (or does it become hidden under certain circumstances)? Every single default block on the action bar needs to be gone over (character screen, studies, etc. in like manner). Fixes or workarounds need to be found. This should be done with the 'good' computers and with computers on the lower end of compatibility.

In my opinion, someone needs to look over the events from the business perspective--especially those events leading up to the actual game play. The analogy of the flow of a drive-through comes to mind, where everything needs to happen at a certain time in a certain way--how easy/quick pay interface, how quickly did you get to play, etc. It would be good to figure out what their first impressions were in that first session, In other words, figure out what all the events were leading up to the fun--and then expedite/polish those events so as to minimize the number of people that might give up before they even start to play the game (or pay for the game). If someone played beta did they plan to pay for the game beforehand, did their opinion change after playing the game and why.

I read these interviews and the vision is wonderful. The game ought to be fun; the developer's skills are excelled only by their excellent attitudes. But from now until Dec1 'polish' needs to be the mantra. Polish. Polish. Polish. Try to look at what has already been accomplished with the eyes of a newbee and then polish some more.

#8 Radium

Radium

Crusader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 04:25 PM

I do think something that is easy to forget after a while is that we become used to something and do not see it like a new person does. That is something that really should be remembered.

#9 allisyia

allisyia

Crusader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts
  • LocationLancaster, UK

Posted 06 November 2009 - 07:34 AM

Well, everyone has their opinion and I've been watching for awhile and this is what I think.

Strengths of Alganon: vision, listening to the community, great progamming team, stupendous attitudes, potential for an extremely fun game. These are the areas where the Alganon team/management/game shines and where they shine they REALLY shine like no one els. Yes, I believe--I signed up for a year.

Shortcomings(arguably): tendency to add(or mention) features before the old ones get hammered out (so instead of dealing with basic interface bugs they are dealing with feature bugs and they end up with more bugs than when they started or else they end up dropping/crippling the features and people are disappointed); tendency to underestimate the time a project will take because they failed to allow extra time for unforseen difficulties; tendency to overlook business issues; tendency to overlook the importance of first and last impressions . . .

It is not enough to do something--that "something" must be done right. In my opinion, for the next few weeks above all basic playability should be polished. If the bugs that we already know about get squashed--then more features can be added. (If these things get fixed before launch--the very next 'feature' ought to be a tutorial/tutorial quests for newcomers in my opinion.)

In regards to the action bar interface for example, take the studies that are touted in every single public relations interview. Every new player in their first session will click on the studies. What will they find? Will they find tooltips? library entries where necessary to help them with the game? How hard will it be to move the studies from the left hand column to the right hand column? To move the studies up on the q?

Quests: how easy/hard is it to click the npcs? To click the 'accept' button? How easy is it to figure out what the symbol is at the top of each npc? Does the minimap guide take you to the quest (or does it become hidden under certain circumstances)? Every single default block on the action bar needs to be gone over (character screen, studies, etc. in like manner). Fixes or workarounds need to be found. This should be done with the 'good' computers and with computers on the lower end of compatibility.

In my opinion, someone needs to look over the events from the business perspective--especially those events leading up to the actual game play. The analogy of the flow of a drive-through comes to mind, where everything needs to happen at a certain time in a certain way--how easy/quick pay interface, how quickly did you get to play, etc. It would be good to figure out what their first impressions were in that first session, In other words, figure out what all the events were leading up to the fun--and then expedite/polish those events so as to minimize the number of people that might give up before they even start to play the game (or pay for the game). If someone played beta did they plan to pay for the game beforehand, did their opinion change after playing the game and why.

I read these interviews and the vision is wonderful. The game ought to be fun; the developer's skills are excelled only by their excellent attitudes. But from now until Dec1 'polish' needs to be the mantra. Polish. Polish. Polish. Try to look at what has already been accomplished with the eyes of a newbee and then polish some more.

An excellent post, detailed and well thought-out . I agree with everything here.
Kujix: Oshimara, Ranger and Miashima, Healer
Asharr: Allisyia, Healer and Lliannah, Magus

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users