#1 Tork

Tork

Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 02 November 2009 - 08:21 PM

GamerZines.com has just posted an exclusive interview with Quest Online.

The interview covers many topics and provides information on the social aspects of Alganon, being a casual player in Alganon and what its like to be an independent game company.

You can read the full article here.
Posted Image

#2 Chadeaux

Chadeaux

Crusader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 09:14 AM

sigh...... I do love this game, but in this article David gives a very long explanation of why there is no Open Beta....Yet today Open beta is announced. It gives an impression of...... something not exactly cohesive....

He does say....

Granted in some regards we do have an open beta through Fileplanet and the QOL/MyAlganon site, it still allows us to gain a different perspective on player opinions than pulling people off the 'gaming street'.

I dunno.....
~~~~//~~~~~\<@ knowledge speaks, wisdom listens
---@--- Jayaha Talrok Magus | Chadeaux Human Ranger | Adrios & Hokk ---@--- Posted Image

#3 Tork

Tork

Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 03 November 2009 - 10:31 AM

sigh...... I do love this game, but in this article David gives a very long explanation of why there is no Open Beta....Yet today Open beta is announced. It gives an impression of...... something not exactly cohesive....

He does say....
I dunno.....

This interview was done and sent back to the site before the announcement of open beta. We have no control over how long it takes various sites to post their interviews.
Posted Image

#4 aleonia

aleonia

Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 11:28 AM

This interview was done and sent back to the site before the announcement of open beta. We have no control over how long it takes various sites to post their interviews.

Yea, but the problem is, the readers don't know that.
Aldarne Balmordae - Talrok Ranger on Adrios
Jalnarae & Rendarnai Balmordae - Talrok Magus & Soldier on Adrios

#5 Radium

Radium

Crusader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 12:48 PM

With the release being pushed back over a month it stands to reason that there would be some changes. Making use of an open beta for advertising, which is really all an open beta is, makes sense.

Where beta testers fail is thinking that a game being developed is going to be their private world forever. Seeing so many posts wanting to shun new people playing the game does not surprise me, but does not mean I like that. Logic demands more people play the game.

#6 BrokenBrain

BrokenBrain

Patron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 03 November 2009 - 01:03 PM

With the release being pushed back over a month it stands to reason that there would be some changes. Making use of an open beta for advertising, which is really all an open beta is, makes sense.

Where beta testers fail is thinking that a game being developed is going to be their private world forever. Seeing so many posts wanting to shun new people playing the game does not surprise me, but does not mean I like that. Logic demands more people play the game.

I know that some comments have been somewhat hostile to the idea of new games, but some of the reluctance about the open beta is concern for the game itself.

Many players currently in the beta are pretty invested in the game and want to see it do well. When they pushed back the launch date it was assumed it was to fix certain things in the game and have a more polished release (like those pesky Bag of Bones and Ander's Chest spawns). Having these fixed before it is released to the general public would result in more positive buzz about the game. We know full well gamers are picky and two bugged quests at level four would likely result in players who are not invested in the game yet quitting the beta at that point and telling everyone they know the game is not ready for release.

I think a free trial of the game (after they had a few more weeks to get bug reports and fix glaring issues) would result in much better publicity, and that is my main reservation about an open beta.

#7 Hakiem

Hakiem

Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts
  • LocationSanctuary

Posted 03 November 2009 - 01:39 PM

As I posted elsewhere I'm on the fence about open beta. My main reasons for even bringing it up was the constant dialog from the people making the game that there would be no Open Beta. No how, no time, no when.

I know things change, I can except this. I didn't start any thread to start an argument over the people entering into the Open Beta or even about what I thought was not going to ever happen with this game ie Open Beta.

I just wanted to say I was taking a wait and see attitude and then after the 11th I'd see if " I " want to remain as a Beta Tester or if I'd be elsewhere until the head start.

Now Play Nice.

Just Me,
Tim
Characters on Servers: Human- Lazarus Cadfael Gandalf & Redcomyn. Kujix - Roland Loki Shadowspawn & Knightlife. Fun is the name of the Game.

#8 Chadeaux

Chadeaux

Crusader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 01:47 PM

My point simply was the timing, one being uncontrollable(the interview release) and the other being the Open Beta announcement.
The timing of the 2 so close was unfortunate and it made me sigh....:sad:
~~~~//~~~~~\<@ knowledge speaks, wisdom listens
---@--- Jayaha Talrok Magus | Chadeaux Human Ranger | Adrios & Hokk ---@--- Posted Image

#9 Amarra

Amarra

Crusader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 04:22 PM

I'm actually looking forward to having more people in game. I am worried about it being too much too soon but it's not my call to make and I want to trust that QOL has done it's homework and knows what they are doing. But, I have been left with the feeling that decisions are being made in a rush. It feels like some information is being rushed out to the public too quickly and some isn't being disseminated quickly enough. Obviously things change sometimes. QOL has always said they want the players to feel like they are a part of the game. Many players do feel that way which is why they get so upset when some information is distributed to the masses before it is distributed to the Alganon community. What those players need to realize is that there are probably people (ego-maniac types that have to be first at everything) lurking in our community hoping to seize insider information and will use it for evil. Therefore, QOL can't always share certain information beforehand. We still have some work to do, but it's time to relax and enjoy...and ignore those people who drop by and use poor manners. Oh...and for those people like me who haven't loaded vent yet....the time is NOW! :woot:

#10 Hakiem

Hakiem

Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts
  • LocationSanctuary

Posted 03 November 2009 - 05:51 PM

Oh...and for those people like me who haven't loaded vent yet....the time is NOW! :woot:

But ... But ... My 86 year old mother thinks I've gone over the DEEP END when I sit here talking to myself.(Headphone/Microphone)

Maybe I am over the DEEP END ??

Just Me,
Tim
Characters on Servers: Human- Lazarus Cadfael Gandalf & Redcomyn. Kujix - Roland Loki Shadowspawn & Knightlife. Fun is the name of the Game.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users