#1 Radshak

Radshak

Servant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 11:40 AM

28 Day Study Times?

Are you friggin kidding me? Please tell me it aint so.

#2 aleonia

aleonia

Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 11:53 AM

already answered here: http://www.alganon.c...__0
Aldarne Balmordae - Talrok Ranger on Adrios
Jalnarae & Rendarnai Balmordae - Talrok Magus & Soldier on Adrios

#3 Voltron

Voltron

Patron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 04:06 PM

28 Real Life Days?

Lol, whatever. I can't imagine anyone would be happy with that. If this hold true, expect people to be up in arms. In fact, I've never heard of any game mechanic taking a month ...

That's just crazy.

This game looks good, the interface could use work, char. models could use work, but the world is very nicely done. The core gameplay though, if this is an example of how the dev's expect people to advance, or the time it's going to take, is making Alganon sound like a Giant Time sink.

#4 Hasala

Hasala

Crusader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts
  • LocationWest Virginia, USA

Posted 01 November 2009 - 05:40 PM

28 Real Life Days?

Lol, whatever. I can't imagine anyone would be happy with that. If this hold true, expect people to be up in arms. In fact, I've never heard of any game mechanic taking a month ...

That's just crazy.

This game looks good, the interface could use work, char. models could use work, but the world is very nicely done. The core gameplay though, if this is an example of how the dev's expect people to advance, or the time it's going to take, is making Alganon sound like a Giant Time sink.

Im guessing you have never played Eve-Online. 28 days is nothing. When I stopped playing Eve in Aug 2008, there were skills I had that would take me 60+ days to train up. Im sure by now there are some that even take longer.

If you don't want to spend that much time on a study then don't train it. That is what I love about studies. Just set it and forget it. It's not going to keep you from advancing to the next level.

#5 neoterrar

neoterrar

Prophet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 12:56 PM

I fear Studies for one reason. What will they adjust the norm to be?
Will that Raid require you have X amount of studies to even be able to complete?

Will you need Advanced Weapon Skill to even hit X mob?

Alternatively, will 12 months of Studies actually measure up to a noticable difference, or will it only amount to 5% extra whatever?

#6 Mhantra

Mhantra

Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted 02 November 2009 - 02:26 PM

This is perfect. You will have to pick and choose what is important to you. Would you rather have +3 Str and +3 endurance, or +5 strength?

Studies are a long term system. If everyone could get them all in 6 months, it sort of takes away from the character building part of it, instead just making it all the same end, just different means of reaching it.
Xakalak; Hokk; Talrok Lifeblood Ranger
Mhantra; Adrios; Human Frost Magus

#7 Hasala

Hasala

Crusader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts
  • LocationWest Virginia, USA

Posted 02 November 2009 - 03:19 PM

Check the study trainers in the capital cities to see what the studies do. I really doubt that they will be required for an instance. I think they are though for certain pets and for some crafting things.

Problem people have with study systems is the time involved. If your the type that likes instant gratification then the study system may not be for you and you don't have to do it. It won't keep you from advancing, but you may not be able to perform as well as someone who has.

I personally like the study system.

#8 Jonrobin

Jonrobin

Prophet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationKingsport, Tn

Posted 02 November 2009 - 05:21 PM

I think the study system is a brilliant idea. After I'm through playing for the night and go to bed, my character will be awake working on improving some stat or ability. It's really cool to log in and find that your character has learned or improved something while you were busy with rl.
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way you'll be a mile away, and you'll have their shoes ! Posted Image

#9 Kirfew

Kirfew

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 07:18 PM

I have been waiting for a long time for a fantasy MMO to implement something along the lines with the eve to skill gain system. I love that you can level and get skill gains. But to optimize your char you have to choose what to study, like Mhantra said you gonna have to decide in advance do you want to be proficient in a weapon/magic skill or increase stats.

Also those who have a busy RL can log on and still feel like they have made an accomplishment, even though they might be 5 lvls behind there friends or guildys.

#10 Pudde

Pudde

Patron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Locationoregon

Posted 03 December 2009 - 03:52 PM

i love the study system..i already have 15 days..looking for next step of 48 day groups..lol i dont delve into the game to deep on the numbers side of combat and all that crap,but i love to watch the studies and micro manage it. every day i check em..maybe swap one out...or take the whole dam thing down and redo it while rethinking whats next. its make it as simple as you want or hard..players choice...which is great.
Akanenite

#11 Kelody

Kelody

Crusader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 01:57 AM

If studies are going to take that long, they need to do more then they currently do. I do like the study system but 10 days to get tier 1 of the advanced crafting recipes is crazy. I don't want everyone to get everything, but a month for 1 study? I don't want to concentrate on 1 single character for years at a time.

#12 c1oudrs

c1oudrs

Crusader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 05:49 AM

If studies are going to take that long, they need to do more then they currently do. I do like the study system but 10 days to get tier 1 of the advanced crafting recipes is crazy. I don't want everyone to get everything, but a month for 1 study? I don't want to concentrate on 1 single character for years at a time.

To recap--only that 5th (last study point) takes that long (28-30 days). The 1rst typically takes 3-4hrs, the second 9-14hrs, etc until it scales up to 28-30 days for that last point.

What it means is--yes you'd have to want that last point in any study pretty badly for whatever reason.

It also means that first couple of points in a worthwhile study are almost gimmee no-brainers because there is such a low (time) cost. After that it becomes progressively harder to choose and you'll start to see character differentiation. So the most important thing to know about studies isn't how long you've been in the game, bonuses, etc, but how you manage your studies effectively.

Once you take the 'no brainer' study points out and the 'want-pretty-bad' points out, your really only looking at approx 40% of the study system that is left where long term players (emphasis on long) get any significant advantage and character differentiation takes place.

If invested in basic attribute studies for instance, in approximately a month and a half then, you are looking at a 10 attribute point advantage over someone who has been in the game 4 days, a tenth of the time (and who has managed their studies wisely picking up the 'no brainers'). So the 'significant' studies are powerful (at that point the equivalent of having a +10 ring and who wouldn't want gear like that?) But at the same time a power leveler will negate the advantage within probably 2 levels what with the attribute level boost and better level gear.

So the important thing to remember is to manage your studies wisely no matter if you are a long term player or have just started the game.

#13 c1oudrs

c1oudrs

Crusader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 06:07 AM

I just want to add that the current system in my opinion is a very good one in regards to leveling and studies, not so much in where we are necessarily (which I don't want to argue one way or another), but in how much wiggle room the gms have without disrupting gameplay.

We intuit that at some point the leveling will get harder the higher up the string we go--how much? this is within the gms control with which they can balance the game. At the same time the number and type of studies available could balance the study system as well in various ways so that neither one nor the other becomes unbalanced.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users