#1 Zheng

Zheng

Crusader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts
  • LocationTampa, Florida

Posted 02 May 2006 - 11:51 AM

...are brilliant. Customization / Versitility / Individualism is where it's at. Been proven by fan-bases time and again. I have high hopes that this will be a major feature of Crusade.

As I understand it from the literature available, we'll be seeing classes AND modular skills (player-chosen, not hard-wired into class). I am looking forward to having more information on just how this will be implemented. I thought that the original SWG skill trees were the best idea to come along in a long long while and mourned their passing. Horizons ability to mix/match your areas of ability was wonderful.

The theme of this post is the fewer restrictions on what we can do, given enough time on our part, the better. If I want to master everything available, I expect it to be a legendary task that'll take a good bit of time (which I probably won't have, but this is theory afterall), but the OPTION to do it is what'll make Crusade great!

Here's to the posibilities! :mrgreen:

#2 Athos

Athos

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 03:27 AM

i agree i still think AC1 was the best mmo from the aspect of character development. Loved it!.

An other aspect i think will be important is the repsecs?
i dont like respecs i hate respecs. But with a limited moldular skillsystem there will have to be respecs since people dont like ro rework highlevel chars.

But with a limit free modular skillsystem like having each skill have a quest to lern. There would be no way to mess your character up really. Only it would take more time and xp into that skill to become good again.

#3 dice

dice

Prophet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 02:36 AM

As I understand it, there are no limits on what any single character can learn, given enough time and effort. If you want to be good at swinging a sword, all you have to do is pick up a sword and start swinging it... soon enough (well, probably not; but eventually, anyway) you will be good.

In truth, I don't think that the ability to "respec" a character makes sense with this type of system. I mean, how can you say "I practiced alchemy until I am this good... but I want to respec my character (because I think alchemy is actually useless) into a melee fighter; transferring my skill in alchemy into skill with a mace." It just doesn't make sense. If you want to get good with a mace, you have to practice with a mace.

Crusade isn't like other games where you make a level, and have a certain amount of points to spend to buy proficiency in some skill (a la Anarchy Online etc). Rather, your skills increase in areas that you practice.

At least, this is how I interpretted the (admittedly rather limited) information that has been released so far :-)

QOL, care to toss us a bone?

EDIT:
How are classes/races going to work? Does it determine the ease with which certain skills are raised, or purely just beginning levels of certain skills, or both, or what?

#4 Iago

Iago

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationWorcester, MA

Posted 05 June 2006 - 02:30 PM

I'd like to see a skill system that is meaningful. Numeric skill values in WoW were just absurd. They had a hard limit based on your character level; I never really understood why they bothered. If you're going to constrain my power by level, then just do it... don't make me watch in boredom as I swing my sword for another five points of skill before I cap out.

Respecs are mechanically important for some systems, but they don't make much sense, realistically. It's hard to explain the mysterious disappearance of a critical talent being replaced by some new power. If you have a finite amount of skill-learning that can be done, however, we don't want to be punishing the new players for whatever ill-advised choices they made from the get-go.

I guess that leaves two options. A system which allows for basically unlimited learning potential, as long as you put in the time, or a system in which changing your skill focus results in the degradation of other abilities (didn't SWG do something like that?)

#5 Tagrun

Tagrun

Patron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 03:52 PM

I agree, I am tired of that when you level you get 15 skill points to spend, and fo course you spend it on your main skills. I would love something where you could go to someone and ask them to show you how to do something and you have to learn it to become good, but of course there is always the longer you have had it the better you are stand point, There should at least be a chance that a level 10 char who has studied swordsmanship all his life vs a level 60 char who just has used it all his life, There should be a difference, Reading books, Talking to high priest, praying for a true shot?

#6 Iago

Iago

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationWorcester, MA

Posted 05 June 2006 - 04:17 PM

...praying for a true shot?

One thing I liked in FFXI was the big 2-hour cooldown ability each class had, only used in the most dire circumstances, but could turn a party wipe into a win when timed properly.

Of course, now that I think about it, some of the regular 5-minute abilities in WoW were just as good... they really dumbed it down. :)

#7 Tagrun

Tagrun

Patron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 10:19 AM

Ha. I liked some of the cooldown skills in EQ, but now that I think about it...if you start hitting 10 x the amount you ussualy hit, you will get tired. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users