#1 alexis_aris

alexis_aris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 11 August 2006 - 08:42 PM

This is random, and I'm not all behind it thinking its the greatest idea. It just popped in my head.

What if, upon character creation, you can select "Family Values". This could solve the issue, or mostly, of families being too radom, as it is still a great idea.

The family values would be different general characteristics that your family strives to represent. So lets say we have wealth, power, Crafting/ Business, fame and battle. (these words could be much better substituted but im not going to bother with that now).

So lets say you can pick 2 items from the list . That person then gets matched up with other players who have chosen one of the same items. that way, the families have similiar aspects, but also are different and bring different ideas wants and goals to their family.

I probably could have worded this much better.. hope this makes sense.

#2 Zheng

Zheng

Crusader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts
  • LocationTampa, Florida

Posted 12 August 2006 - 02:14 AM

I like that idea. Nice one.

#3 Syndic

Syndic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1886 posts
  • LocationPerth, WAustralia

Posted 12 August 2006 - 04:55 AM

I'm not sure about this idea. Personally I'm not worried about what family I end up in. I don't see how lowering that randomness really effects anything.

#4 alexis_aris

alexis_aris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 12 August 2006 - 12:57 PM

Well really it would more so but a little common ground between people as far as their goals even gaming preference... but would still vary a great ammount to have diversity.

#5 Tagrun

Tagrun

Patron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 12 August 2006 - 02:59 PM

Like the Great Zheng said I like it. I am thinking about setting up a little table system to make it a little more understanding for new comers.

#6 Zianix

Zianix

Crusader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • LocationSweden.

Posted 31 August 2006 - 05:32 AM

I like the idea of families being totally random.... like in real life.

#7 lurker1

lurker1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationLas Cruces NM USA

Posted 18 September 2006 - 10:42 PM

I like the idea it would make the chances greater that you were "matched" up with like minded people and friends that you have played with.

#8 Nadrek Corused

Nadrek Corused

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationSwitzerland

Posted 19 September 2006 - 09:14 AM

I like this idea because it make families more realistic. Every familie have his abbilitys wich are typical for it. WIth this system also the game families have there typical abilties. Where's the hype button for this idea?

#9 S0ulb0und

S0ulb0und

Patron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, TX

Posted 21 March 2008 - 10:02 PM

This is a good idea i just believe its too general. Obviously it's not set in stone choices and i understand that. but i feel if it is done wrong you'll end up with 2 families in the whole game. one family that wants wealth and another that wants power and strength. Maybe upon different values like how you would react to an example situation the dev's could make up. that way it's on personality. But like what you want is too general for an MMORPG because to me it seems like every1 wants to be rich and have alot or become very strong and powerful

#10 rysonue

rysonue

Prophet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 06:15 PM

S0ulb0und brought up the main concern I have. everyone has wealth and power as values.
My solution for that would be to change the category to style of play (adventuring, crafting, social, collecting) maybe also factor in play dedication (casual, hardcore).

I figured the way the family system could be set up is have X families and add more as necessary. and you are randomly put in a family upon creation.
With this method each family could get a couple tag about the style. Then based on what categories you choose a family is selected.
However, possibly it'd be better to throw in people who don't have a particular tag but something similar. (For example, a crafting family gets a member who is interested in socializing. There is some synergy between the crafter who needs to sell the good and the socializer who has friends around the game and can offer his families services)

Personally I wouldn't have the tags revealed but have the balance set so that the players can infer what kinda of family it is.

#11 Syndic

Syndic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1886 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 04:13 PM

It takes all kinds of people to make a family. Placing people into the same family because of values or how they choose to play would make for a very monotonous family experience.
If a family is full of crafters sure they can certainly help each other out with information but they would also be in competition with each other (which may not be a bad thing) but then there would be no adventurers to help protect them when they go out into the wilds. The other side of that is a family who is all adventurers with no-one in family who can help them out with some much needed gear especially when short on a little coin.

What happens to those people like me who want to do everything they possibly can in the game how do I answer adventuring, crafting and collecting (yes I socialize but out of the 4 it is the lowest, very shy around new people). Does this mean I go into a family with all 3 of these values and wouldn't this be like the uber family to be in since everyone has the intention of being the best at all of them.

I still think random is the best way to go, you never know it may not be that random depending on how many families there are.

#12 lostheaven77

lostheaven77

Prophet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 03:18 PM

I ve never met a family that shares the same values. In my family , my brother shares no values with any us, in fact I dont even share the same value as my oldest brother , we all individuals. We are strong family not because we share a trait for wealth , its about love , bond we shared growing during hardtimes , and the time we spend when we go to Six Flags.

You should let the family be individuals united by a common carrot. The carrot should be different , and the family should have some reason to bond. Like for example , say 3 younger players log in and are born into my family , those three should be encouraged to group together with xp bonus or something.

The hardship of training in low levels should be the bonding glue, not because they want power , but because they are given a push a reason to be there together. You could even setup mentors , and other systems (so they bond without force grouping)

#13 Syndic

Syndic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1886 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 04:41 PM

Great post Lost. Second that.
Adrios - Syndic (Soldier), Kadden (Mage); Hokk - Thrawn (Ranger); Toskala - Nelina (Healer)
Family - Mitthrawnurodo (Talrok)

#14 FalconHeart

FalconHeart

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 09:50 PM

I like the idea of character ideals in character creation, and think that it could be useful, however I am not sure that linking family members should be based just on what values you decide to associate with the character. For example, I love crafting and want to be able to help those associated with my characters, but if my character is grouped with nothing but other characters that also are all about crafting, who can I help by being a crafter?

However I think that perhaps as families grow such values can be used to fill in weak points in what is represented in the values of the character.

This is just a reversal of the original idea, but I think it could have value, especially if you give the options of 'Join Similar', 'Join to Support', and 'Random'.

'Join Similar' would put you in a family with similar ideas, and would be best suited for players who are learning that facet of the game.

'Join to Support' would be to place you in a family where you would be in touch with those who have other interests, and you can fill a role that is otherwise underrepresented in the family.

'Random' would be there for the sake of those who don't mind either way.

Just some thoughts.

#15 Syndic

Syndic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1886 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 05:47 PM

Thats sounds like a great idea falcon, I can't see much point of joining a group of like minded players who in the long run, other than having a common learning center, I'm not going to be able to assist with or diversify the family resource pool.
Adrios - Syndic (Soldier), Kadden (Mage); Hokk - Thrawn (Ranger); Toskala - Nelina (Healer)
Family - Mitthrawnurodo (Talrok)

#16 Jergis

Jergis

Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 12 July 2008 - 05:18 PM

-While i won't mind if the family idea stays totally random, i don't think this particular area of the game needs to be a mimic of real life at all. This is a game, my escape from real life for an hour or two. I would prefer if it wasn't spent with my uncle that talks about nothing but how he bought all this junk on ebay and resold it for twice what it's worth to some sucker in Detroit.

I also realize that any sort of non-random questioning means more dev time = money. Realistically i wouldn't expect anything more than a priority list to be in the character creation process. For instance: Rank the following values in order from least important (far left dot) to most important (far right dot) for this avatar.

Yes, many will rank wealth as most important, but with families limited in size there will be plenty of families with similar goals and shared mores, just like Real Life ™! Wealth, honor, social, and tradeskills for instance. Is it like real families? No, that's why i play this game, to escape reality for a bit in a fantasy setting, not to play a computer game that mimics real life. I have enough of that already.....Jergis, who leveled up in Spouse Approval Rating just this afternoon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users