#1 llucid

llucid

Prophet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • LocationYuma Arizona

Posted 23 July 2009 - 10:51 AM

I was just thinking back on my early EQ2 days and remembered the day of the server merges back in DOF. At the time I had a max level armorsmith and max level carpenter. Up until that point I had priced the items I listed on the AH as twice my cost and maybe a little more depending on how the market went. The day of the merge, I had several lamps that were worth about 100 status reduction on houses listed at about 10g a piece as it cost me about 5g to buy all the materials and make them. I recieved a tell from someone claiming to represent a crafting union so to speak. they informed me that said lamps were worth 100g as their union felt all status items should be listed at 1g per status point.

No as I made obvous in my blog I do not have a problem with marking items up and making a profit. However for a large group to get together and manipulate the prices, while perfectly within thier rights, it is not something I would get invovled in.

To me there has always been an unwritten rule that you do not undercut guild memebers, or try to compete by selling the same items as they are, however could the Juxxas and Martos family lead to a similar price fixing market, if people are given the chance?

#2 balamoor

balamoor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 23 July 2009 - 01:57 PM

I see this attempted a lot in EVE, corps trying to manipulate the market..it rarely works out because there is always some upstart more than willing to cut the price and shake up the market. I know in WoW there was for the longest time a lock on Frostweave cloth you wasn't going to get a stack for under 10 gold, a new guild moved in and started flooding the market with four gold stacks the old guard could not buy it all up and the so called lock fell apart.

Things like that are not my idea of an adventure so I will leave it to the virtual traders.....but organizations never dominate for very long.

#3 Thuulic

Thuulic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 02:14 PM

Every game I have ever played, the crafters always make the most coin and scream the loudest when that cash cow gets threatened in the slightest. Disgusting, really, to see how greedy people can be even when it's not real money. :/

My friends and I usually pick a trade and help each other out, rarely selling much on the broker/auction house except to fund our crafting. We don't care about being rich, we care about exploring and hanging out for a bit. <shrug>

#4 Therian

Therian

Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 02:21 PM

although I have been known to take advantage of "market price" now and then, especially when in a bind for cash, I am usually the type to flood a market any chance I can when I think the price is way overboard.

#5 Hamarhand

Hamarhand

Prophet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • LocationUtah, USA

Posted 23 July 2009 - 02:21 PM

I see price fixing as something that will be tried from time to time, but will be hard to pull off. Even OPEC has a hard time keeping its members in line all the time, and that's a smaller group... Personally, I'm not really worried about it; especially with the existence of the consignment house.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users