• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Kairo

Kairo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 07:00 PM

My main curiosity is, what reasons do you have for leaving your old MMO (if thats your case).

At current my main reasons for leaving behind World of OPcraft (World of Warcraft) are as follows:
1. Blizzard has turned there game up-side down and made it into something that i dont wanna be a part of any more, they have made so many classes OP(Over Powered) that its ruining the game. Im tired of going into PvP and knowing full well that if i get attacked by a Paladin or a Rogue that i might as well get up and walk away because i wont be able to move the entire time they're killing me.

2. Blizzard has a pretty limited amount of raids you can do a week. I mean sure...i could: Go into Naxx (10 man or 25 man) and be out the same night, I could go do Vault of Archavon and Obsidian Sanctum and be done with both in under 2 hours. or i could go into Ulduar, complete half of it and then probably not go back in there again and be locked out until next week. but after doing these things enough ive noticed that you eventualy start to just go through the motions and they have been ruined.

3. Yes, i know ive already went into the OPness but this is still a slightly off topic to me. Instead of nerfing classes that NEED it blizzard instead decides to BUFF those that arent OP and they become OP. This prety much explains itself.

4. Im tired of being at end-game with nothing to do. i mean sure i could go farm stuff, but for what? so i can be bored randomly killing mobs for things i dont need just to sell them and get gold to buy things i dont want?

So all im saying is pretty much, im leaving WoW to play Alganon because its a new expierience, and im just intrested enough to find out how much of it is better, and to comment on things that MIGHT need changed.

Im intrested in hearing your views, if you agree with what ive said just quote the paragraph(s) that you agree and lemme know what you agree on or disagree if thats the case. Im excited to hear from you all!

#2 Danj

Danj

Prophet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 07:31 PM

I've been playing WoW for over three years now. I've seen every problem you mentioned go in cycles. Classes (and not just in WoW mind you) will always be rebalanced, sometimes for good sometimes not. It will happen in Alganon. It can't -not- happen. No one knows how something is going to work out against everything in every situation.

The thing to look at with any game isn't necessarily what they are doing right now. Look at what they have done, what their design philosophy is, and what their customer service is like. Blizzard learned big nerfs are bad. They can be poorly done, destroying a class for a time. So they take things slow, buff a little here, nerf a little there, stir, and see what happens. If needed do it some more.

Do I agree with everything they do? Hell no. I think their design philosophy on making hybrids do as much as dedicated classes was a mistake, especially with dual spec. There is no reason to take a dedicated class when a hybrid can bring more versatility and and equal amount of DPS or healing.

But I've seen the patterns, and I've seen Bliz admit to, and then learn from their mistakes.

As for PvP, it comes down to how well you play your class. I've beaten every class, and been beaten by every class. There were times I ran across a player that I just smoked repeatedly because they didn't do what I knew other members of their class could. One player in particular then complained in the forums about that incident and my class. That doesn't mean my class should get nerfed, though.

Well, ok except for ret pallies. Those bastards are way OP. :tongue:

#3 Kairo

Kairo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 07:46 PM

I think you may have taken what i said, wrong. I know classes might get OP but the reason im leaving WoW isnt because the classes are OP its because they do little to do anything about. I wanna join alganon, not for what it is but for what it might become,half the fun is evolving with the game.

And dont tell me its the way the people play their class because I know how to play my class. when people can sneak up on me and stun me for 10+ seconds then what do you EXPECT them to do?

Im not trying to be mean or anything but maybe you should try PvP again and tell me that it isnt time for a new game.

#4 Grymmoire

Grymmoire

Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts
  • LocationColumbus, OH

Posted 13 June 2009 - 07:55 PM

Recently left Warhammer Online. Besides classes that have been nerfed while their mirrors have been buffed, they introduced other game play changes concurrently that result in unintended consequences and engender frustrating game play.

Annoying game elements, some of which have existed since Beta remain to date (or at least when I quit) like the single stairway to keep Lords creating choke points (reported in Beta); almost totally usless Witch Elves and Witch Hunters in keep defense and to a lesser extent offense (as are many melee based classes); rampant crowd control that renders play a lesson in futility; spells that ignore line of sight (worse situation since Shadowbane); orvr that is a hugh game of musical chairs, without a chair being removed though; zergs win not tactics nor skill; lackluster end game. I could continue to list problems but why?
"You're simply jealous, since the voices speak only to me."

#5 Therian

Therian

Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 08:08 PM

I'm tired of the roller coaster of buff/nerf, and I really dont like the direction blizz has went with the whole arena thing. pvp is even less fun than it used to be in the rare cases when I participated in it.

crafting has gotten so out of whack it's not worth even trying anymore.
spells & abilities change with every patch.
instances have got so filled with elitist know it all jerks who only see gear that I dont even want to group anymore.

after 5yrs, I guess I'm just ready for something new.

#6 blueturtle

blueturtle

Prophet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • LocationDayton Ohio

Posted 14 June 2009 - 03:54 AM

I played WOW for 2.5 years with my wife and we had a great time. We liked the classes, the dungeons, the art direction and many other little details about the world and the game. I don't really have anything bad to say about it. I mean no game is perfect and MMO's are probably the most difficult kind of game to make. I think Blizzard did a great job on WOW and I am glad I spent my time there. I left the game because I felt I did everything there was to do. The game is not the deepest MMO out there and my wife and I left for EQ2. We have been playing that for 2 years. (I also play Vanguard without her) We like the game alot but feel we have done most of the content now. EQ2 doesnt have as much of an epic feel to it that I had with EQ. I like a deep experience with an MMO and an RPG and I feel that Alganon will provide that. With the Studies System, the many ways to develop your character, The dynamic quests, The Library and the deities and crusades. All these things lead to my excitement for Alganon. It seems to be combining the great things I loved about WOW with the depth of a game like EQ2 along with bringing new things to the table that others have not thought of yet. That is why I will be retiring my characters from their old world and have them travel to the world of Alganon.

#7 krallor

krallor

Servant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 06:18 AM

I left wow because there is no real community there. I played wow since it was in beta.

EQ on the otherhand up until the planes of power had a real player community happening. Didn't matter if you were from one the raider guilds or just a casual non raider, you all grouped together in different areas. After planes of power this all changed the casuals usually could not get the advancement quests done to get into the upper tier zones. Even when you did finally get the quests done, the elitests had all the super gear now and only wanted to group with like geared people. The community was destroyed and people started leaving eq for wow and other games.

I have played many other games since EQ and not one of them has had the community that eq did in the first few years.

#8 Spirit

Spirit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 14 June 2009 - 11:05 AM

Playing since EQ too ..

leaving EQ to Planes for same reasons explained by Krallor ...
then all following MMO (and i think players before all) take the same way : Achever .. players want to be the 1st at max lvl with the better stuff .. so all MMO seems the same ..

all people playing the same class with same stuff cuz the best of the game till next expension.And worst to be at the stage u need to make playing a profession not an entertenemant.

Now back to Horizon who in my eyes the best games never planned but never finished (look like real guy behind the idea was tricked for monetary reason during developement).

History .. game who develop over the time and where All (as in the start of EQ) player of a server could be a part of it .... where ur actions open a new step for all other players too.

If not a game came quickly boring as ur Real Life job could be ^^

PS sorry english is not my natal language

#9 llucid

llucid

Prophet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • LocationYuma Arizona

Posted 14 June 2009 - 11:30 AM

i started by playing EQ2, i left it when the Dev team had a falling out with LFG and the EQ2flames forums, anyone that was around at the time and visited the flames forums will probably know what I am talking about. The thing that got me was instead of addressing the problem, SOE decided to just pretend there wasn't a problem, they deleted all posts on the official forums, the one they did leave they hid in the off topic section in hopes it would just go away. That and Druusk 2.0, or 3.0 whenever it was they "fixed" him after adding the epics in.
After that i went to AOC, had fun there for the first 4 months or so, but with the Gem nerf, armor stats sucking, and the fact that every raid in tier one was bugged with many problems, i grew impation waiting for the fixes. We went to the forums offering solutions. In the end I came to the conclusion that it just wasn't worth it.

Warhammer i only played for a few months, i just grew bored with it real quick.

As for WOW i have been playing it for the last 6 months, it seems to lacking in something, I am just not sure what. Maybe I am just bored with it as well.

Alganon seems to be bringing alot of what I liked about EQ2, and the Dev team seems to be awesome so far. So we will see what it brings. I can't wait.

#10 Drakynn

Drakynn

Crusader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 14 June 2009 - 11:34 AM

Left Earth and beyond because EA shut it down :tongue:
Left Dark Age of Camelot after they nerfed the hell out of light tanks and melee classes in general to the point of making them useless.
Left World of Warcraft because
a) 4 years is long enough to be playing any game.
B) I didn't like the direction it had been heading since Burning Crusade
c) Guild drama
Left Age of Conan because it was bug ridden and had no real working end game content at the time
Left Warhammer Online from being tired of dealing with the really bad game engine and net code,disappointment with the ORVR end game,it's a pale shadow of DAoC.Was bored of levelling alts because there's very little PvE end game,Keep/fortress takes were endlessly repetitive and city sieges were boring as hell...worst PQ in the game.
Left numerous F2P MMORPG's because of their lack of quality and support.

#11 Therian

Therian

Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 11:39 AM

I left wow because there is no real community there. I played wow since it was in beta.

EQ on the otherhand up until the planes of power had a real player community happening. Didn't matter if you were from on the raider gulds or just a casual non raider, you all grouped together in different areas. After planes of power this all changed the casuals usually could not get the advancement quests done to get into the upper tier zones. Even when you did finally get the quests done, the elitests had all the super gear now and only wanted to group with like geared people. The community was destroyed and people started leaving eq for wow and other games.

I have played many other games since EQ and not one of them has had the community that eq did in the first few years.

I left eq at about the same time.
I's a shame that some mmo's (if not most) have went from a community helping eachother for the most part to the state in which they are in now.

guilds & teams that are "sponsored" like sports, turning something fun into a profession.
players that devote their life to the game like it was a career, and not just time wise. I've read way to many posts of very complicated mathmatics...people spend hours/days/weeks working with numbers, spreadsheets, 'itemization tables', etc.. just to be "the best" or to "maximize dps", etc.
it's a GAME. and we wonder why there is an imbalance in most mmo's. people obsessed with things like this, and with "THE" way to do an encounter... with zero tolerance (or respect) for anyone that fails to adhere to their way. (scrubs, we're called...no talent, no devotion, etc...cause we choose to PLAY a game instead of making a career of it as if it were life and death that we max dps, or dont run an instance with the 'optimum' setup and strategy.)

sorry... /rant off

#12 blueturtle

blueturtle

Prophet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • LocationDayton Ohio

Posted 14 June 2009 - 11:45 AM

I actually left EQ before Planes. The game play was great but alot of my friends went back to Ultima and I had never tried it so I joined them. Liked it alot. Played until Neverwinter Nights came out and then played it nonstop until WOW was released.

#13 Grymmoire

Grymmoire

Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts
  • LocationColumbus, OH

Posted 14 June 2009 - 12:24 PM

Now back to Horizon who in my eyes the best games never planned but never finished (look like real guy behind the idea was tricked for monetary reason during developement).

And that person would be for those not knowing...*drum roll* ...the CEO\creator of this very same game, David Allen.
"You're simply jealous, since the voices speak only to me."

#14 Hamarhand

Hamarhand

Prophet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • LocationUtah, USA

Posted 15 June 2009 - 10:50 AM

I left WoW for a number of reasons (I started playing during the beta, and stopped about six months ago):
  • Not enough attention payed to low level content. This limits replayability and given enough years playing a single game, creating a new character can be agonizing. As another a result, PvP tended to be imbalanced at low levels. Once in a while a patch would spruce up some low level content, but that was the exception
  • High level content seemed increasingly aimed at raiding and rep grinding. I enjoyed the process of building characters, so this change as characters gained levels made playing a character increasingly less appealing. (Which in turn made #1 more frustrating...)
  • Exploring stopped being "exploring" at a certain point. Eventually, the only new thing encountered ended up being rare mobs, and the odd chest. Of course changes at the macro level in a world should happen slowly, but I think there should be more random elements.
  • Travel got increasingly annoying at high levels. Fortunately, it sounds like Alganon already has this part well in hand.

#15 Argento

Argento

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 15 June 2009 - 12:41 PM

My MMO experience is only Wow (always feel slightly ashamed saying that but hey what can you do) I loved it up until BC was released at that stage I just feel it lost something I can't put my finger on what it was. I switched to pvp and thoroughly enjoyed this but grew a little tired of Arena. In the end wow quit me rather than me quiting wow. over night my frame rate just died on me then after a while I realsied I did not feel like going back and wanted to seek a new fresh world.

Looks like Alganon will be that world

#16 melanieshaman

melanieshaman

Crusader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts
  • LocationNor Cal

Posted 15 June 2009 - 03:50 PM

Well, i am in a wierd place at the moment.. i let my WAR account expire (regret it!), and my nephew bought me and my wife wow time cards (to play with him)... well less than a week in and we are already bored with wow, and remember why we left lol So, we will run out of cards and go back to WAR, and I have NO intention of leaving again! Since Alganon won't have pvp at launch, i will play it for my pve game and war for pvp. Hopefully alganon will institute pvp similar to war, then maybe i will drop war, but for the forseeable future i will stay with war.

#17 Fervent

Fervent

Crusader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 15 June 2009 - 04:24 PM

I've been playing MMOs since before they were called MMOs. I started with Yusabados from Sierra Online, and didn't quit until I finished WoW. Of all the reasons I've moved from game to game, including DDO, I think that I've got some valid points.

1) Even though I love to solo, DDO got old REAL fast because you didn't NEED to find groups, and when you tried, people didn't care.

2) EQ's release of a new expansion every six months got old real quick. You always had time to make it to end game, but you never really had time to enjoy it. You could spend so much time crafting or raiding to get the leet stuff, only to replace it 2 weeks later with the greens from the new expansion. every year is a good pace that WoW has kept to, and may be one reason they are so successful.

3) The fact that EQ released a new expansion every six months, have you seen how many packs you would need to get into it now? Why bother ever going back.

4) similar to EVE or the Star Wars MMO, with so many people so much farther than you could ever get as a new start, if they lost their current people they would die out.

5) Basically, you need a balance of free expansions (patches) and sold expansions to keep people happy; Yearly updates to keep people interested; And a need for a friendly player base (which the kudo system may help) to keep new players coming in.

There are my five thoughts, now that my brain is smoking from it's normal lack of use, I'm off.

#18 Therian

Therian

Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 05:33 PM

I've been playing MMOs since before they were called MMOs. I started with Yusabados from Sierra Online, and didn't quit until I finished WoW. Of all the reasons I've moved from game to game, including DDO, I think that I've got some valid points.

1) Even though I love to solo, DDO got old REAL fast because you didn't NEED to find groups, and when you tried, people didn't care.

2) EQ's release of a new expansion every six months got old real quick. You always had time to make it to end game, but you never really had time to enjoy it. You could spend so much time crafting or raiding to get the leet stuff, only to replace it 2 weeks later with the greens from the new expansion. every year is a good pace that WoW has kept to, and may be one reason they are so successful.

3) The fact that EQ released a new expansion every six months, have you seen how many packs you would need to get into it now? Why bother ever going back.

4) similar to EVE or the Star Wars MMO, with so many people so much farther than you could ever get as a new start, if they lost their current people they would die out.

5) Basically, you need a balance of free expansions (patches) and sold expansions to keep people happy; Yearly updates to keep people interested; And a need for a friendly player base (which the kudo system may help) to keep new players coming in.

There are my five thoughts, now that my brain is smoking from it's normal lack of use, I'm off.

Mud's & bbs's. yay dial up 300 baud. no world wide web, no graphics, lots of arguing.
(some things never change)

I'd vote for xpac's no more frequently than every 2 years. it takes many people a long time to finish stuff from one before really needing more content.
tell the raiders to quit racing and just enjoy and you wouldnt need new content in less than a year.
better yet, limit raids reset to once a month and maybe they'll relax a bit and not rush so much.
/duck

#19 Fervent

Fervent

Crusader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 15 June 2009 - 08:52 PM

Mud's & bbs's. yay dial up 300 baud. no world wide web, no graphics, lots of arguing.
(some things never change)

I'd vote for xpac's no more frequently than every 2 years. it takes many people a long time to finish stuff from one before really needing more content.
tell the raiders to quit racing and just enjoy and you wouldnt need new content in less than a year.
better yet, limit raids reset to once a month and maybe they'll relax a bit and not rush so much.
/duck

I'm with ya, half way anyway. I think a 1 year release rate is a good pace, I know Quest has already stated a 6 month release rate, but I'm hoping they rethink that pace. I do think 1 month reset on raids is a bit much, but I wouldn't mind seeing it as more like 10 days or so. 3 days to a week are great when it's on farm, but those short reset times are part of the reason you have to zerg to get end game.

#20 Drakynn

Drakynn

Crusader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 15 June 2009 - 08:58 PM

I'm with ya, half way anyway. I think a 1 year release rate is a good pace, I know Quest has already stated a 6 month release rate, but I'm hoping they rethink that pace. I do think 1 month reset on raids is a bit much, but I wouldn't mind seeing it as more like 10 days or so. 3 days to a week are great when it's on farm, but those short reset times are part of the reason you have to zerg to get end game.

LOL yeah..longer resets would actually assist guilds to conquer raid instances faster...it's onc eit's on farm that they moan about the long reset lol.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users