#1 lurker1

lurker1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationLas Cruces NM USA

Posted 29 May 2006 - 08:18 PM

I was under the assumption that there would be more then just two Deities to worship in the game but the interview with DA states that "A player must choose a single deity that supports their organization (Asheroth or Kujix)."

So correct me if I am wrong but does this mean that there will only be two that we can choose from? I was hoping that there would be one for each class and they would fall under the "rule" of Asheroth or Kujix kind of like Zeus and the gods/goddesses of olympus.

I realize that they will be game masters and that means money but I assumed these would be people who maintaned the game after it went gold.

Sorry but I just wanted to clarify it as this is one of the parts of the game I think is important and is interesting to me.

#2 Iago

Iago

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationWorcester, MA

Posted 29 May 2006 - 09:21 PM

I believe that each faction will have a number of deities. It's always too simplistic to call this "good and evil," but I expect that each side will have a deity to cover the various and sundry aspects of war, magic, and whatnot.

#3 Tagrun

Tagrun

Patron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 29 May 2006 - 09:53 PM

Lurker, when you join either Asheroths or Kujix, they each have a certain number of Deities, but you must choose one of those deities to worship soley.

#4 Requnix

Requnix

Prophet

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • LocationChandler, AZ

Posted 30 May 2006 - 12:47 PM

Correct - numerous deities will be available for both sides, each with their own history, minions, and focus on specific skills and studies. We should start releasing the first bits of Deity information in June.

#5 dice

dice

Prophet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 04:11 AM

You haven't been to worship at the temple recently, you haven't donated any of your ill-gained earnings, and you're out for a walk in the woods enjoying the smell of the clover and the warm breeze.

Crack-Boooom! The fearsome entity that is your Deity appears before you, face stern and unforgiving.

"Charlie, old chum," it begins, "What is the absolute worst thing that you could imagine happening to you..."

--------

Damn, I can't wait :-)

#6 Iago

Iago

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationWorcester, MA

Posted 05 June 2006 - 02:01 PM

I think the real challenge for Crusade is to approach the deity system in the game in a way that's FUN. We're all painfully aware that we live in time that are rather heavily emotionally charged by religion, and that "crusade" is something of a loaded word in that respect.

Western civilization sprouted from some pretty colorful, polytheistic, mythic tales; we continue to teach our kids those fun stories about Zeus and Hercules and whatnot, so I think there's still a good amount of perpetual interest in this sort of thing.

Still, I can imagine some RPers getting really intense with this theme. :)

#7 llamabread

llamabread

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 03:45 PM

Yeah. It seems like RPs will have plenty to be happy about. Something new to put them to sleep at night... :)

#8 Grimmway

Grimmway

Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 941 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 08 December 2006 - 02:26 PM

Old topic bump..

So the deity system will be similar to that of the Elder Scrolls?

Each diety gives maybe a skill/special ability or somesuch?

This could be very interesting as it would have some obvious associations - thief type characters pick the sneaky deity, and some not so obvious..

Personally, I enjoy picking the unique combination of class/skill & deity that makes others say 'why didn't I think of that?'.

Grimmway

#9 dice

dice

Prophet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 03:13 PM

Hmm.

Well, it will be interesting to see. Deities is definitely one of the more interesting aspects of CRUSADE, for mine...

It has been stated that QOL will hire staff to act as the deities. This is a very nice touch... so long as they stay in character whenever they are in godform.

The nature of the two organisations, as I understand it, are opposing. Also, their natures are defined by their gods and goddesses. Now, if we consider one side (order, discipline, and what not) - it seems that the basic mandate of their religion is one of the suppression of the individualistic tendencies of each person/creature, in deference to the needs of the society. The other side (power, greed, disorder) - tends to lean toward expression of the individual with no regard to society and the needs of others.

Obviously, neither side is "right"; both sets of deities are attempting to enforce an extreme ideal upon the citizens of the world.
Indeed, it can be said that each in their own right is the ultimate evil... as such, no labels such as "Good" and "Evil" can truly be used to describe them; rather, as QOL has stated: Order and Chaos.

Of course, through the strivings of either side, some sort of balance is reached; some middle ground in which self expression is allowed, yet the needs of society are catered for.

Sure, no single individual of the world gains the best of both worlds, as it were, but from the universe's point of view, the world is in balance, right?

But, it is only such so long as the deities of each side continue to push their agenda as hard as each other. Now, since I don't see the god of the Talrok's to come to any, shall we say, agreements or accord with the protector deity of the Humans, it is safe to say that the only way the world will continue to thrive is if said god of the Humans really tries to suppress all individuality, and attempts to turn it's minions into unthinking slaves.

WHOA! How did I get to there? Not sure. I've been up all night.
Anyway, what is my point?

Hmm... something to do with.... ah yes, that's right; I hope the GM-gods stay in character. No wishy washiness! They must be difficult for mere mortals to comprehend. As a player, I would want to be in awe of my deity; and want to stay in his or her good books. I would want the GM to constantly exude the disposition of the deity he or she is playing as.

Erm, Grimmway, the devs have already stated something to the effect that the piety rating of characters with respect to their deities would have certain consequences, good or bad; and that those would reflect the disposition and whims of the various deities.

Well, sorry about the rant.
Cheers,
dice.

#10 Grimmway

Grimmway

Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 941 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 31 December 2006 - 07:56 PM

Erm, Grimmway, the devs have already stated something to the effect that the piety rating of characters with respect to their deities would have certain consequences, good or bad; and that those would reflect the disposition and whims of the various deities.

Sure, I understand that! :D

My question was - will deity association by itself grant a special skill - think Morrowind.

Grimmway

#11 phoenix

phoenix

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationWazzu Go Cougs!

Posted 26 January 2007 - 04:39 PM

I would be interested in skill buff similar to a racial skill like +5 to mining skill or something to players aligned with a certain deity. According to here people who participate in a deity's crusade will get a buff of sorts.

#12 Grimmway

Grimmway

Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 941 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 27 January 2007 - 12:17 PM

That link reads to me like a temporary buff also.

In the Interviews and FAQ, it is mentioned that being in the same area as your diety will buff you too. Likewise, being in the presence of the opposite diety will debuff you a bit.

I'm just wondering if in-general, diety affiliation will grant a small boost to stats/skills/etc. Like +5 mining or somesuch.

Thanks for bumping this back up, Phoenix. You're literally raised this thread from the ashes... :lol:

Grimmway

#13 Syndic

Syndic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1886 posts
  • LocationPerth, WAustralia

Posted 08 February 2007 - 05:06 AM

Don't forget the buff/debuff I believe applies to being in a region controlled by your religion not just being near your diety.

#14 lostheaven77

lostheaven77

Prophet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 12:35 PM

I got a question or two :

Will your diety influcence combat style and animation?, say like Drunken Monkey style for martial artist. Or type of armor style , even though its forbidden , like Fetts armor was special to them or the zerker's half naked charge into fully armored soldiers? Faith unto itself can be a powerful weapon or armor?

Will diety have personalities? Yeah lore , but will the Gods themselves have fits of rage , times when they dont answer you , play jokes and such. Will they deeper than text is what I m asking?

Will the diety bound to a family , or an account. Say I got 5 slots for chars , each one a sibling , can they each have thier own God to follow?

#15 Grimmway

Grimmway

Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 941 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 26 March 2007 - 07:29 PM

Will diety have personalities? Yeah lore , but will the Gods themselves have fits of rage , times when they dont answer you , play jokes and such. Will they deeper than text is what I m asking?

With a real person controlling the diety, unless they are reading a script, then I imagine we will see a real personality.

Grimmway

#16 Syndic

Syndic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1886 posts
  • LocationPerth, WAustralia

Posted 27 March 2007 - 10:22 PM

Even reading a script they would have a personality, it all comes down to how well the person behind the computer acts out the deity.

As for that another question arises, will the same GM play the same Deity all the time or will it be who ever is there at the time? You could find yourself on first name basis with your God only to find tomorrow they don't know you from a bar of soap. I guess that is more a question that can't be answered until the game is up and going but still something to keep in mind.

#17 Grimmway

Grimmway

Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 941 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 28 March 2007 - 06:07 AM

That's a good point.

If you want to have a rapport with your diety, then the same CSR needs to play the diety. Even better, let the servers GMs play the diety. Keep a notepad of 'friends' handy?

Have something built in to the diety's account so they can track this in-game? Pull up a chart of the 'Devot-o-meter' and see who's who?

Grimmway

#18 itchouwa

itchouwa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 05:32 AM

[Itchouwa may 17th 2008] I agree with lurker. Why are you guys only possibly making 2 deities. I mean you should give players the choice to live their own paths as there ALGANON character.

Also if there is more deitei choice other people may start playng mak'n this game incredible!!!!!!!!! :D

But you dont have to listen i am just a 7th grader

-Exiteted about this game,
Itchouwa

#19 lostheaven77

lostheaven77

Prophet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 09:50 AM

itchouwa , DA (David Allen aka CEO/ designer) say numberous deities.

----------------
I think it would be expensive to hire a staff to play the Deities, though it would be really neat to see the GM or even Live Team handle the deities personality and keep track of "naughty/nice list". I d be kinda creeped out if a GM knew my character like the Pizza Hut guy knows what my favorites are.

It would be interesting though.

#20 Gemril

Gemril

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationSoutheast Georgia, USA

Posted 30 June 2008 - 09:35 PM

itchouwa , DA (David Allen aka CEO/ designer) say numberous deities.

----------------
I d be kinda creeped out if a GM knew my character like the Pizza Hut guy knows what my favorites are.

It would be interesting though.

I think it would be more than interesting :)

And could make the game much more interesting!

As in the Chinese curse "May you live in interesting times."

:D

And I am too tired to be posting.... :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users