#1 Zulusan

Zulusan

Patron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 22 May 2009 - 12:09 PM

Probably this has been brought up in a previous thread? Sorry, I wasn't sure. A couple of things/suggestions here on this topic:
1. display of webpage content on each webpage. Lets use this forum thread as a good example. On the top left are several navigational links, but however to actually view this thread, you have to scroll way down the webpage just to read it, instead of it being nicely seated just to the immediate RIGHT of the navigation buttons on the left. I think this needs to be corrected for all forum pages. This also may be occurring on other pages too?

2. Bottom LEFT-RIGHT scrolling - it's natural to page up and down to see the content of a website, however I think that some of the webpages need to be shrinked (width wise) to not have a person have to scroll left and right to see text or pictures on a website. For example, I listed the BLOGS, and I had to use the scroll right/left in order to see everything. I think this is an annoying webpage layout, and can cause further annoyance on other new people interested in the game as well.

Thank you.

#2 Danj

Danj

Prophet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 01:31 PM

What browser version and resolution are you using? I haven't noticed that at all.

#3 Zulusan

Zulusan

Patron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 22 May 2009 - 01:38 PM

What browser version and resolution are you using? I haven't noticed that at all.

I'm using IE version 6 and my resolution is 1280x800 (work laptop) right now. Not sure at home what it will look like though.
:smile:

#4 Grymmoire

Grymmoire

Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts
  • LocationColumbus, OH

Posted 22 May 2009 - 01:41 PM

Zulusan, I am not sure this will help, but under the Options Menu at the top right corner of each post box, a drop down menu allows one to select 3 different forms (Switch to: Outline; Standard and Switch to: Linear) that may also affect the way My Alganon displays. However, it may only alter these forum posts; worth a look.

I use IE 7 and do not have the problem you descibe.
"You're simply jealous, since the voices speak only to me."

#5 Zulusan

Zulusan

Patron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 22 May 2009 - 02:22 PM

Zulusan, I am not sure this will help, but under the Options Menu at the top right corner of each post box, a drop down menu allows one to select 3 different forms (Switch to: Outline; Standard and Switch to: Linear) that may also affect the way My Alganon displays. However, it may only alter these forum posts; worth a look.

I use IE 7 and do not have the problem you descibe.

They are going to upgrade my laptop on Tue next week here at work, so I'm guessing that possibly it's going to be fixed. Plus, here at work they block a whole bunch of things, like pictures, so some of the pics just don't show up at all; I just get the typical "x" box in the filler where the picture would go on a webpage.
Thanks for the suggestions.

So of the 3 forms.. which one are you using as your default?
UPDATE: I found what you were referring to on the options - the default is standard. I've tried all 3 ways, and the forum thread still doesn't put it up to the right of the navigation links on this website. Hmmm - bummer. :confused: anyway, at least I can still see all the posts OK, and read/reply to them as I wish.

#6 Zulusan

Zulusan

Patron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 22 May 2009 - 07:39 PM

good news on this: I'm at home now, using IE version 8, and the forums are correctly displaying to the right of all the links, so it's because of the old IE. That's now taken care of.

#7 Darkmuth

Darkmuth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 12:06 PM

it could be a resolution issue i saw it shows correct at home. but you can change the resolution of web pages as well. you may have to go into your internet options on how web pages are displayed to correct it. there should be a button to reset back to windows standard. that should help.

#8 iamurmom

iamurmom

Crusader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Locationmy own basement

Posted 24 June 2009 - 05:34 PM

I'm using IE version 6 and my resolution is 1280x800 (work laptop) right now. Not sure at home what it will look like though. :smile:

I was using IE6 in windowed mode exclusively (as I really like the way it looks better) until recently when I gave up and started using Opera maximized for this place.

Still, here's a snip from the MyAlganon home page: can't get pic here, but it's really unreadable.

Got the SS on some other thread that had attachment option. This is how screwed up that page looks in Opera with enlarged font sizes.

#9 Therian

Therian

Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 04:47 PM

If you have a mouse with a scroll wheel, you can try using 'Ctrl+ scroll wheel' to change the size of the page you are viewing... hold the control key down and then use the scroll wheel to make the page bigger or smaller (I think it's actually changing the font size).

I am using a resolution of 1440x900 and need to do this on many web pages to get the size right on my screen.

#10 iamurmom

iamurmom

Crusader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 04:51 PM

I know how to ctrl scroll-wheel and opera doesn't do it like ie, but opera has somewhere under preferences, Set Minimum Font Size. But, that's what MyAlganon ends up looking like. If, at this point, I ctrl s-wheel, it just makes the whole mess smaller.

pffft. I want IE6 to work still  :sad:

#11 Therian

Therian

Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 05:02 PM

I know how to ctrl scroll-wheel and opera doesn't do it like ie, but opera has somewhere under preferences, Set Minimum Font Size. But, that's what MyAlganon ends up looking like. If, at this point, I ctrl s-wheel, it just makes the whole mess smaller.

pffft. I want IE6 to work still :sad:

you could try IE8... it also has a 'compatibility view' for sites designed for older browsers. I've had to use that to fix issues at other websites like what you're having. I dont have to use it here though. wish I had more to offer, sorry.

#12 iamurmom

iamurmom

Crusader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 05:21 PM

you could try IE8.

NO!!!

I hate IE7, IE8. I wanna use IE6 and win-98se and maybe even dos.

And no, I am not a stick-in-the-mud. looollollolll

At least using Opera for sites that don't work in IE6, I can still use IE6 for the sites it does work for.

#13 Beta

Beta

Crusader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • LocationMobile, AL

Posted 25 June 2009 - 05:29 PM

I got rid of I.E. altogether! :bomb_ie:

P.S.
Top Secret why I got rid of everything else and only use FireFox!
:bunny:

#14 Therian

Therian

Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 05:38 PM

NO!!!

I hate IE7, IE8. I wanna use IE6 and win-98se and maybe even dos.

And no, I am not a stick-in-the-mud. looollollolll

At least using Opera for sites that don't work in IE6, I can still use IE6 for the sites it does work for.

I miss dos.

#15 Therian

Therian

Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 05:40 PM

I got rid of I.E. altogether! :bomb_ie:

P.S.
Top Secret why I got rid of everything else and only use FireFox!
:bunny:

I probably would too except I have too many other things taking up my time and I've gotten lazy.... ie is there and works for what I need most of the time so I leave it.

#16 iamurmom

iamurmom

Crusader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 06:14 PM

I actually like ie6. I've got the Address bar on the menu line, and everything else scrunched up on the next line - only 2 "wasted" lines for stuff. Opera has 4 lines of "junk" and 1 is 1.3 lines, so it uses up way more vertical space.

Seems like the more they make things "better" the less flexible they are.

#17 Therian

Therian

Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 06:35 PM

I actually like ie6. I've got the Address bar on the menu line, and everything else scrunched up on the next line - only 2 "wasted" lines for stuff. Opera has 4 lines of "junk" and 1 is 1.3 lines, so it uses up way more vertical space.

I try to keep all the extra crap out of my browser as well. just the navigation bar & tabs bar at the top and the status bar at the bottom.

#18 Syndic

Syndic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1886 posts
  • LocationPerth, WAustralia

Posted 25 June 2009 - 11:12 PM

Well I'm not sure about other browsers or whether it goes back as far as IE6 (I believe it does.) Just hit F11 and the browser goes fullscreen and the only thing you see is the status bar at the bottom, the rest is all page.
I use IE8 i think it is great, but also love Firefox just as much, but as someone else said sometimes I'm just too lazy and IE is already there.
Adrios - Syndic (Soldier), Kadden (Mage); Hokk - Thrawn (Ranger); Toskala - Nelina (Healer)
Family - Mitthrawnurodo (Talrok)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users