#1 Dravokx

Dravokx

Prophet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 07 May 2009 - 08:34 PM

Greetings everyone! This is the start of a short player fiction I'm writing involving my in-game character. I hope you enjoy the story and are inspired to write something of you own! Without future adieu, I give you:

Sermons of the Seventh Age: Part 1 - The Assassin's Doubt

In the shadow of a nook in the cold stone wall, he waited. The room was not large, nor well lit, and this was the perfect spot for his chance to strike. But why had his mark still not arrived?

The Assassin let out a silent sigh of frustration and sunk deeper into the dark crevice. It was not like him to be so agitated, he knew, but between the dank air of the well carved cavern and the wet stone seeping into his damp cloths, this task was starting to weigh on his patience. He had already waited for hours… “Argon,” he pleaded to his God quietly, “give me the strength to withstand this test, I seek only glory for the Asheroth and all Ardonya.”

Oppressive silence is all that answered his request however, for the Gods of Light and Justice held little sway here in the realm of the enemy. Absentmindedly he ran his fingers over the hilt of his deadly dagger, and worry began to build in him despite is efforts to stop it.

His information had been accurate, that much he knew. The Assassin had spent nearly a week trying to glean the whereabouts of his mark since he arrived outside of the hostile city of Phenos, in the barren Whey Runs; and all the signs pointed him to this very room. It had not been easy to find his mark, nor this secluded cavern expertly carved into the mountainside; more than one Talrok lay dead to get him where he was hidden now.

“This entire journey has not been easy”, he thought to himself as he waited, “I should have expected no less now.” which was of little comfort to him because his mark should have arrived already, he cursed. Where could he be? The Assassin began to wonder if he had made a mistake. He watched the torchlight dance across the floor of the room where he hid motionlessly, and time dragged on slowly.

Over a month ago he had been sent from the Assassin’s Guild in the Port of Maesau, back in his homeland of Ardonya, with a single mission: find the Talrok Priest known as Dravokx and end his life. This was not an unusual task for someone of his caliber but he had never before been sent so close to Xanjuix Karr, the very Capital of the enemy force, and the journey had been extremely perilous.

It took nearly three weeks to cross the open ocean as his small ship was constantly being battered by storms and dodging the Kujixian scouting vessels. Once he arrived in Elynea’s harbor, on the continent of Harraja, there was no time to rest and he was off across the mountainous terrain of the Drab Sharg the very next day. It was arduous, but he was a seasoned traveler. Crossing through the swamps of Mugroth proved nearly fatal though, as he was overtaken by a tribe of the boar-like Hogsnout in the pass to the Whey Runs, and only escaped by the protection and favor of his God.

The Assassin was no stranger to hardship, or sacrifice, but he did wonder what was so important about this Priest and why great lengths were being taken to eliminate him. It was a well known fact that Vakgarr, the Kujixian deity of Death, held a powerful influence with the Talrok, who were the most hated enemy of the Humans. This Priest supposedly was an influential figure amongst their organization, he was told, and posed a threat to his beloved nation, but nothing else. Normally that would have been enough, but the Assassin was keen and he knew there was more to his missions than he had been told.

It was nearly an hour past when he had learned the mark should arrive when he finally heard the scuffle of someone approaching down the tunnel. Pulled from his thoughts, the Assassin was instantly on edge. The time had come. From the shadows he was poised to strike, eager to be done with his task.

Through the large stone doorway came a figure cloaked in heavy dark robes. The Assassin was unsure if this was his mark and, dagger clutched in hand, he waited momentarily to be sure; a decision which perhaps saved his life.

#2 Grymmoire

Grymmoire

Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts
  • LocationColumbus, OH

Posted 08 May 2009 - 01:11 AM

*Claps in appreciation.*

Well writtten!

Does Dravokx survive or was it even him at all?

The assassin hesitates; The wrong target ? Is he converted? Has he second thoughts? Does the Priest cast cleansing on him?

Hmmm....more suspense.

Part 2 please!!! :banana: :banana:
"You're simply jealous, since the voices speak only to me."

#3 Berek

Berek

Former Community Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 08 May 2009 - 11:00 AM

Very nice indeed! We might want to post this as news if we get more short story submissions from other members. This may go in our Saturday update at least ;).

#4 Dravokx

Dravokx

Prophet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 11 May 2009 - 09:28 AM

As promised, the second part of the story and continuation of the danger that surrounds the Assassin and his mission. I present to now:

Sermons of the Seventh Age: Part 2 - From the Shadows

The mysterious cloaked newcomer stopped abruptly and scanned over the room. Fear spiked in the Assassin’s thoughts: had he been noticed? He rapidly went through the possible escape routes in his mind as he anticipated his next move. Should he strike now? He studied the stranger intently, but it did not yet seem as if he had been spotted. The Assassin waited in suspense.

Even in the dim lighting of the small cavern room it was obvious he was looking at the robes of a Priest, a lower ranked Priest of Vakgarr. He knew this mountain complex was sometimes used for their sermons and dark rituals, which is why it had been the perfect place to find his mark. There was only one main entrance, and one smaller side entrance for the servants, which is how he had accessed the underground temple the previous night. It had been strangely empty until this point, he realized grimly, and he had no trouble finding the main chamber. He could have very well stepped into a trap.

The Assassin felt as if the walls were becoming a black coffin. Why had he been so eager at this?
As suddenly as the neophyte Priest has arrived, he turned and departed into the dark tunnel beyond. If he went to raise an alarm there would be no way for the Assassin to survive the escape out of the room, through the main hall, and out either doorway back into the Whey Runs. No sounds came from outside the cavern for many minutes however, and he breathed a small sigh of relief.

Calming himself in his regained solitude, he weighed his options. Perhaps the unexpected Priest had only been searching for the same person he was looking to kill: after all his mark was indeed late. It could have just as easily been one member of a large group sent inside to hunt him down. The thought of being sacrificed to the dark gods was chilling, but it had not yet come to that he reminded himself steely. The best thing to do was to wait and continue his task; Argon would protect him even in this dismal place.

His resolve was short-lived however as the sound of chanting began to echo from bowels of the dark cavernous hallway. At first it was very soft and he was not sure what the sound could have been. Still hidden in the darkness of an alcove in the cavern wall, he listened as the words became louder and clearer. The unknown Priest had returned, and this time he was not alone! Louder and louder the haunting chant grew. It was disturbing how similar their chants were to those of his own people, he thought. How could that be? Again gripping his trusted dagger firmly, he waited and watched as the approaching torchlight slowly illuminated through the stone doorway.

The Assassin quickly counted six Priests as they appeared into the cavern in measured steps; all similarly dressed in dark purple ornate robes. Only two of them carried torches, so the shadows remained thick and deep on the walls keeping him concealed in his crevice. Their ominous chanting had come to an end, and they quietly filed into the center of the room. In the dim smoky light the Assassin noticed there were several long stone benches clustered together that they took seat on; all of them facing a grotesquely carved pulpit.

They remained motionless as if they were waiting for someone, or something, to appear. No sooner than they were settled another sound began to echo from the hallway. Solemn footfalls, still in slow and measured intervals, made a lingering rhythm as they approached. The Assassin could not help but feel an air of trepidation fill in the cavern as the yet unrevealed entity approached.

It was as if the very shadows tensed in expectation.

After what seemed like an eternity, through the dark stone archway appeared a man that could be no other than Dravokx himself...

#5 Diageous

Diageous

Crusader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  • LocationWI,United States

Posted 11 May 2009 - 03:55 PM

Nicely written. Very creative. I have but one question: where is Diageous, the Talrok warden? Will he come and stop the assassin? Are there more dangerous things afoot? Obviously, this assassin couldn't be alone. People of that type never venture alone. The priests are surrounded, but they have the home-field advantage. I'd be eager to write my own chapter, but not without consent first. I wouldn't want to tarnish the next part of the plot.

#6 Dravokx

Dravokx

Prophet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 13 May 2009 - 09:02 AM

Well Diageous, I'm honored that you want to jump in the story! This however I have already planned out until completion. It'll be 10 parts, each 3 days apart. I mentioned it in my blog if you want to read it.

If you want, I'd be more than willing to start a collaborative story with you though! It could either be a "back and forth post the next part" type of story, or we can sit down and plan something out and each write our own parts and post it in pieces like I am doing now. I'm sure Berek would love to see some more player fiction show up! Personally I think the idea of Diageous and Dravokx teaming up could be a lot of fun. :thumbsup: Let me know what you think and we can get something started. You can message me on MyAlganon and let me know. If you have some free time... you could always drop off an application to the Scions of Xi as well. :whistling:

#7 Diageous

Diageous

Crusader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 04:01 AM

Thanks, if I have time later, I'll try to do both of those. if not, I'll get around to it in the near future, preferably within the next three to five days at most.

#8 Dravokx

Dravokx

Prophet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 15 May 2009 - 10:00 AM

*** This space is being held for the 3rd installment of the Sermons of the Seventh Age. I realize it is a day behind schedule, I had some real life things to attend to yesterday, but it will be up sometime soon as I finish editing it. The 4th installment *will* be on schedule for Sunday (each piece is released 3 days apart) along with my next weekly blog with will outline my stories, ventures, and more information about the Scions of Xi! Thanks for staying tuned! ***

#9 Diageous

Diageous

Crusader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 08:54 AM

Glad to hear that the next portion is coming soon! We all have lives which often detract from personal time, so it's understandable. I still have to do something about Scions of Xi, but I don't really understand what I'm supposed to do at all! Anyway, I eagerly await the next installment.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users